İlkay Gündoğan

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
no it's not... The fact that AS has got it right most of the time, in the recent past, when it comes to our transfers gives me hope but... But I have more faith on Zubi than the media... so no it's not happening

Eh, still. Either rumor means that Zubi is trying to do something right.

Meitux

You can tell it simple or complicated it at the same time. Gundogan is the perfect fit for what we need in the midfield a box to box player who would certainly not only control the game but have some defensive abilities to help our team in defending generally. As it's already known non of Xavi or Iniesta can provide defensive covers, Busquets is left alone to do all the work, it would certainly help the pressing too, i don't think Xavi is so energetic for that kind of work anymore. I don't know about it or if you think about an Iniesta - Fabregas midfield but i wouldn't like it at all.. We can't continue with only one player in our midfield providing defensive abilities. And certainly he offers very good attacking abilities two, very easily for the direct fast play.

Trickykid

Thiago's replacement ? We all know that Sergi Roberto isn't Xavi's successor.
IMO we should bring Ilkay next summer to learn with Xavi and then take his place.

If a player of Thiago's stature wasn't satisfied with being a bit part player being groomed for a more important role sometime in the future, why do you think Gundogan would? A player who could probably chose between every single top club out there, should Dortmund decide to sell.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
If a player of Thiago's stature wasn't satisfied with being a bit part player being groomed for a more important role sometime in the future, why do you think Gundogan would? A player who could probably chose between every single top club out there, should Dortmund decide to sell.
this...

The age old Tito didn't give enough chances to Thiago isn't an answer either

ZenI

Professor Balthazar

Well, if we sell Song and play Gundogan on DM and sometimes on CM than I see no problem. Xavi has maybe 2 season left in him after this season, so buying a replecment for him during his last year or two and we have the time to adapt him to our tactics/style. Another tweak we could make is to play 4-2-1-3 instead of the 4-1-2-3 and give our AM more freedom, just like we played Song+Busquets and Cesc with a more free role. Than we could play Busi+Gundogan or Xavi+Gundogan + Cesc or Iniesta in the free AM role.
Anyway, this is just a rumor still - but he really seems like the real deal and like he would fit right in ;)

Duke

well that was under Tito not Tata who like to rotate players, so Gundogan will have more playing times especially knowing that Xavi in decline.

Trickykid

More playing time, sure, but enough? Doubtful.

Between Iniesta, Xavi - who looks able to play at least a couple more seasons - and Fabregas, he won't be a regular for a while to come. And that's exactly the problem, as I see it. Will the promise of eventually being a starter be enough for a player of his stature, or will he look to the likes of Sahin and Kagawa, and instead stay put in a team he can call home, and even challenge for the very same honors as we can offer?

suckabov

Lemon curry?
Marca writing that Gündogan is more or less a done deal for Real, as a compensation for selling Sahin back to Dortmund. They just had to come up with something to dismiss Barca rumous...

Marca writing that Gündogan is more or less a done deal for Real, as a compensation for selling Sahin back to Dortmund. They just had to come up with something to dismiss Barca rumous...
I really hope that he ll extend his contract, but that the decision is taking so long is very suspicious. Many Dortmund people I know get used to the idea of him leaving and more and more people becoming sceptical. The Real rumour is indeed strong and every once in a while popping up in German media. TBO i can also see it, as it has to be a giant to make him even think about leaving paradise..Barca or Real, but Barca midfield is so much stronger. Hopefully he doesnt get tempted with bad example Sahin as a reminder around him (also Kagawa not too happy) and when u see all the midfield purchases at Real, then he shouldnt add himself to it too..unfortunately Gündogan is exactly what Real need and he is a very smart young man, so I have little doubts that he thinks that he could make a career there.

The Sahin story has to be complete BS though, as Dortmund got an option to buy him permanently, when they decided to take him back in summer so he cannot be used as a bargain anymore (I refuse to believe that a deal between both clubs with Gündogan was done in summer). It is reported, that Dortmund have to pay around 7m€ to make the move permanent.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Gundogan would do well to take caution from his fellow German compatriots about what happens when you go to Madrid.
He's got Sahin as a cautionary tale right on his team.

He should either stay at Dortmund, see if Barca want him as a Xavi replacement, or just go to England.

He would own the EPL.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Nuri Sahin, Mesut Ozil and even Sami Khedira voicing his frustration.

That could go against RM in their pursuit of him.

suckabov

Lemon curry?
Sahin will definitely be a cause for worry to him, as he is one of his idols. Özil on the other hand is not perceived to be a failure at RM at all in Germany, but rather a huge success, regardless of how it ended. You repeatedly hear youngsters like Draxler talk about how "Özil developed into a world-class player at Madrid". Gündogan might think the same, but still, he's very close with Sahin, so that story will play a role.

As to why his decision is taking so long, I do believe it's simply because of the injury. He would definitely be in a better position to negotiate if he was fit and performing well on the pitch. Personally, I hope he stays at Dortmund and maybe, one day, ends up at Barca.

Home of Barca Fans