İlkay Gündoğan

serghei

:lol:

I have seen both at the euros and olmo is younger and better. Also, he can run. Gundogan is close to retirement. It's fine if he stays, fine if he leaves. The AM position is covered nicely.

People have to realize that old players that are near 35 decline fast. It's a good option to let them go and save their salaries if possible. They were meant as short term options in the first place.

Last edited:

Messi983

Don't think he's affraid of competition at his position. It's more likely he believes this team is nowhere near good enough to win anything and he also saw how Laporta treated Xavi and certain players so don't want to be scapegoated when things will go wrong this season.

If he's smart he'll leave this Titanic.

TheStig

Something is happening if Flick really said that he'll talk to him and that he thinks he'll stay. I also think Gundo is already sick of this amateur club and he probably has an interesting offer (Turkey, SA or even some rumors about City) or maybe Laporta is forcing him out, wouldn't surprise me. And obviously he knows Flick and how he works and he isn't expecting a success in this season.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
Don't think he's affraid of competition at his position. It's more likely he believes this team is nowhere near good enough to win anything and he also saw how Laporta treated Xavi and certain players so don't want to be scapegoated when things will go wrong this season.

The competition is really only Olmo - I don't consider Raphinha (some think he should play centrally, but come on...?) or Pedri in Gundo's position.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe he only asked for reassurance and Flick

Team looks stronger than last season. We welcome Balde, Gavi back. Plus Olmo is here.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife

I am thinking similarly although I have said before Ilkay has a role to play in how things have gone here at Barca too - the Araujo debacle added insult to injury in crashing out ahead of CL Semifinals. Now both players are unsettled when both are still important assets to win titles

Gundo has a great winning attitude and has shown even at his age can flourish at Barca in the Primera Liga

I see an absence of leadership since there are many aspects of the club that have been poorly managed and here I speak of both internal & external club communications. In his first term and even early in this mandate, Laporta was transparent in his handling of the multitude of daily BS the club faced while doing his utmost to ensure the sporting direction was not derailed. In the absence of no Cruyff, Pep, Txiki, Alemany or Xavi however I do not have much faith in Deco as there will be even more critical decisions to take in coming years when every big club will seek to pursue our monster talents who like Gundo will come to see their careers improved elsewhere

Externally, Joan has never fully explained the Messi debacle nor did he provide better understanding on the Xavi dismissal and now we see internal issues unsettling the club dynamics for which the board's management has to be scrutinized in how they mitigate rather than permit dissension or having it played out in the media.

Solid coaching base for squad that is aligned with sporting direction that reflects the board/club's interests best. I think we will need a finance & sporting shakeup to managed day to day while board focuses on ensuring the appropriate winning culture is in place

Total-Football

Bitches a lot if u ask ne. He lost me with his antics. Barcelona literally thaught city and the germans how to play ball (vicariously through pep). So this fella should be grateful his profile is more valued in modern football thanks to barcelona .

vuji_31

Well he was probably our most consistent player last season. 4 goals and 14 assists. That is really good.

He is on 18mil and 34 years old, I would not mind letting him go.

We have a lot of midfielders and can cover him, and now even more with Bernal and Casado showing level to play in first team.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
:lol:

I have seen both at the euros and olmo is younger and better. Also, he can run. Gundogan is close to retirement. It's fine if he stays, fine if he leaves. The AM position is covered nicely.

People have to realize that old players that are near 35 decline fast. It's a good option to let them go and save their salaries if possible. They were meant as short term options in the first place.

They shouldn't have given him that contract then.

Olmo has averaged being out for 20 games last three seasons and we all know about Pedri. How much do you trust Pablo Torre and Fermin to start a lot of games if both players miss a lot of time?

I think it'd be OK if he leaves, but the club keep shooting itself in the foot over these things.

jamrock

Only way he should leave is if we can't get other players out, in order to register Olmo.

he was our best player last season and the only one who can naturally play as a 10 or deeper.

He's on 18m for 12 more months, not the end of the world, our football wage bill is around 250m per season more than manageable for a club like us, alaba is on 22m and he's a 32 year old defender, not all contracts will be as perfect as negotiations on FIFA.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

I think Gundogan is just an awful fit to what Flick wants to implement. Even when they were with the German NT IMHO.

He is a CM, he is niether a pivot nor an attacking midfielder.

This is why they want him out, he is surplus to the game plan, unlike when Xavi was here. And obviously we don't have the financial means for surplus player.

Dans un monde où nous pourrions enfin nous débarrasser de Frenkie, Gundo resterait et prospérerait, mais le gros chat a un contrat riche et n'est intéressé par rien d'autre que ces salaires.
Everybody knows why Frenkie have a big salary, he helped us when others was ruining the club, its just by principle.

Home of Barca Fans