Ivan Rakitić

xXKonan

CMM-X5LUwAEy9BO.jpg

Dado

He was average today, but he did make a pre-assist in Barca´s goal.

I think he has PTSD from having to watch Alves´s back. :)

anguy

He doesn't look anything like as good as last season .... he's ineffective and a liability at the moment

What are you talking about? He has been inconsistent for whole last season. There were games (and not few) when he looked WORSE than against Malaga. I disagree that he's a liability though. Not much of positive contribution, but not few really negative moments either. Anyway, like I mentioned the closer he plays to the goal, the better he looks. His shooting and final pass is very good. The distribution deep in the field when you can't make any mistakes not so much.

Stric

Anyway, like I mentioned the closer he plays to the goal, the better he looks. His shooting and final pass is very good. The distribution deep in the field when you can't make any mistakes not so much.

This, this and this. I'm very happy with how he played last season, but he is first and foremost an attacking midfielder. Always was, always will be. His best playing and his best matches come when he's further up the pitch.

Darko

He was pretty bad the last game, usually he's incredibly consistent so I don't doubt that he'll be back to his best soon.

serghei

Needs to work on his composure when he's being pressed. That part of his game is still deficient in my opinion, and it comes down to not seeing the passing option quick enough, and also not being able to shield the ball, dribble a player or having an impeccable close control in general, like Iniesta and Busi both have. All those things would allow him to retain the ball under pressure until these passing option become available to him, but the way I see it he lacks the specific skill set to be a ball carrier at Barcelona, sort of like Cesc tbh. That's why I think he doesn't look great on the ball against an opponent that can press our midfielders and cut their thinking time in half. Probably why we look to put Alves on the ball more in those games, and give Rakitic more off the ball duties, like covering and even exploiting spaces in the other team's defensive lines (which makes him a very important tactical player both defensively and offensively, because the opponent doesn't see him as a legit danger, or someone that needs to be closed down as soon as possible).

Last edited:

Morten

Are Rakitic and Modric unable to play well together? Ok, i dont watch all their matches, but they seem so average whenever i see them together.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Modric was really bad too. Almost cost Croatia two goals with a couple of poor decisions. The entire team was a mess.

Stric

If I remember correctly, the last time Modrić and Rakitić worked well together, Rakitić was still playing wide. But anyway, that doesn't have to mean anything. I believe they could work well together if the team was set up differently, but Kovač is clueless. In the World Cup he played Rakitić as a DM and Modrić further towards goal.

Home of Barca Fans