Ivan Rakitić

Messi983

I don't blame Valverde for anything.

His goal was not to rebuild the team (what should have happened at that time) which I'm sure he would have done just fine if he would have a full support from the board.

But instead he was brought to squeeze the last atoms out of the amigos on their last legs which he did. He was smart enough to know if he has any chance to succeed he has to get on their good side. He could play a fake strong man trying to make changes like Setien but would be gone in few months. Players are not stupid and see right through you if you pretend to be something you are not. EV is a player's coach, he's not the one to make drastic decisions.

Bartomeu should have been the one to make tough calls and let few amigos (especially Pique and Suarez; Alba deserved to be axed too after Anfield but tbf he actually played on a high level the longest amongst amigos and I don't think he was that highly influentual as others - just have too bland personality for that - if anything he was just sticking around as one of Messi's close friends). Instead he rewarded them with new long term contracts which we are still paying consequences 5-6 years later.

Watching Valvede's Bilbao teams before he joined us or at current time it's evident the way he played here is not how he wants to play but he had to adapt to accomodate the walking amigos upfront. You can't play a high pressing game with Messi and Suarez while also having Busi and Raki on their last legs in midfield covering for them. Give him current team and we would see a different version of Valverdeball. Think he would also get a lot out of Lewy. 35 yo Aduriz arguably played his best football under Valverde.

Another thing is Bartomeu probably promised EV to sign Verratti. Instead he not only didn't get him but also lost Neymar in the same summer. So rather than having Ney and possibly Verratti we ended up with a glass-made Dembouz and mental midget Coutinho instead, lol. Whatever we think about Neyboy's personality and lately his injury problems he was often a driving force in big games for us and I'm sure Rome (and consequently Anfield) wouldn't have happened if we'd still have him.

But anyway, as a smart man once said It is what it is. We can't change the past and personally I don't hold onto that time anymore often. We've also had it worse after (h8-2 see that). That era is now almost fully behind us. Hopefully we've learned something (probably didn't) and will build towards a more bright future rather than think what could have been different 6-7 years ago.

Rory

Think our 18/19 team is simply overhyped. Take Messi out the equation and where is that team in terms of world standing?

Mats, Semedo/Roberto, Pique, Lenglet, Alba as the protectors of our goal/box is laughably bad. Even prime Pique and Alba would struggle having to carry Lenglet and Semedo/Roberto.

Midfield with no legs in it was a poor pairing for a group of forwards who scored plenty but had no legs themselves.

jamrock

That over hyped team still won league titles and was up 3 goals in two CL, knock outs.

It was up to the coach to set the team up to avoid two embarrassing results.

I don't think a top team has lost 3 goal leads in back to back years, in recent memory.

In the Liverpool game,he saw the danger Liverpool had on the wings at the camp nou, Instead of adjusting for that with a 4-4-2, which was a formation he played a lot that season, and have two players wide that can go back and help the full backs.

He played a 4-3-3 and left the full backs exposed and kneeled their like a fuckin idiot while we were getting destroyed.

We won those league titles in spite of him, not because of him, those were titles Messi dragged Is sorry ass to, and when we needed some help from the coach, he did FUCK All.

FUCK barto and FUCK Valverde.

"Amigos" were the least of our worries, compared to those two.

Last edited:

Birdy

Pique is type that if lacking discipline to give it all for Barca, will gaslight others into doing the same as to not stand out himself.
I am convinced those were dynamics going on.

“Come ooooon Coach, give us 2 days off instead of 1. This is Barca we’re talking about, not Cornella. What? You don’t trust the talent we have on this team? Maybe we should’ve picked a coach that does properly rate the talent, eh?”

“Come oooon bro, do it man. Cheat. Sometimes you need to cheat on your wife to let off steam and this will actually improve your relationship with her. Be a man about it. You question my insight into this? Ok, forget it. You’re clearly not a strongwilled individual. It’s okay. I will not talk with you about this anymore. Specifically you because you handle it poor seemingly. All is still good between us though bro.”

And now imagine this guy being the president of FC Barcelona
All the names I have called Laporta, he will look like a saint compared to Pique

And some cules here and outside are so deluded to see this dystopian scenario with good eyes

khaled_a_d

You can't take blame from coach for 3-0 goals, sure.
But denying him credit of winning back 2 back leagues, when we lost the league before an after him, is equally bad if not worse and shows inconsistency in your logic.

Also, Barca has lost with at least 3 goals difference in CL in each of the last 8 seasons (at least once in each campaign, around 12 times total iirc) and only 2 of those were on EV.

Something is inherently wrong within the club in modern years. That has yet to be fixed.

khaled_a_d

I don't blame Valverde for anything.

His goal was not to rebuild the team (what should have happened at that time) which I'm sure he would have done just fine if he would have a full support from the board.

Another thing is Bartomeu probably promised EV to sign Verratti. Instead he not only didn't get him but also lost Neymar in the same summer. So rather than having Ney and possibly Verratti we ended up with a glass-made Dembouz and mental midget Coutinho instead, lol. Whatever we think about Neyboy's personality and lately his injury problems he was often a driving force in big games for us and I'm sure Rome (and consequently Anfield) wouldn't have happened if we'd still have him.

What is sad is that this was the original goal when he arrived.
To build around a new generation with MATS, Umtiti, Neymar and Verratti while gradually phasing out old legs. With hope that some bad buys that R. Fernandez has done to work under him. Like Paco, Gomez, Denis Suarez etc

After losing Neymar, they have freaked out and wanted to win at any cost, and the goal has changed. He did his job but you can't sweep the problems under the rug for so long.

jamrock

You can't take blame from coach for 3-0 goals, sure.
But denying him credit of winning back 2 back leagues, when we lost the league before an after him, is equally bad if not worse and shows inconsistency in your logic.

Also, Barca has lost with 3 goals difference in CL in each of the last 8 seasons (at least once in each campaign, around 12 times total iirc) and only 2 of those were on EV.

Something is inherently wrong within the club in modern years. That has yet to be fixed.

Yea true, have to give him credit for helping to win the league.

But that was largely Messi.

But he pisses me off, so I got heated lol.

Fans trying to put it all on the players is crazy.

I can't remember barca losing 3 goal leads in back to back years in the CL, but if you checked it, I'll take your word for it.

khaled_a_d

I can't remember barca losing 3 goal leads in back to back years in the CL, but if you checked it, I'll take your word for it.

Not back to back leads, but losing 3+ goal difference in general.
The fact that we were leading, is what made it it eschetically worse for EV, and why fans hate him. Because hopes were high and we thought we had it before being crushed.
In other defeats, we were crushed early on, except last year against PSG.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Not exactly the same but in 16/17 we lost 0-4 to Psg, and 0-3 to Juve so team has already showed it has big problems in big away matches, in 19/20 2-8 to Bayern, EV didnt cause that problem and didnt solve it either

jamrock

Its the back to bank nature of it, after having the game more or less secured, that makes it so bad.

It sucks because we should have won at least 1 of those CL.

But spilled milk and all that, biggest issues back then was Barto.

Home of Barca Fans