Joan Laporta

iniestaGOAT

Why are people believing his lies? You are so gullible.

Cury's role wasn't a mere 'scout' Laporta knows this...

What stadium can be built for 4m? Who is buying this rubbish....

"Laporta: "La Liga gave us false hope that they would allow us a salary margin to renew Messi, but they did not tell us in exchange for what. And when we met them, we couldn't accept it."

You guys really think a lawyer is this naive and stupid not to ask for details?

Laporta: "In their budget, they talked about salary cuts, the sale of Bar?a Corporate, the sale of players. They did nothing."

What? Suarez, Rakitic, Vidal, Semedo all gone... what players have you managed to sell Mr Lapprta?
You know these responsibilities fell to the new board.

Laporta: "They [the previous board] hired 200 different suppliers to divide invoices & hence avoid internal controls."

Funny you should say that Mr Laporta because if I recall correctly Indeed, renowned accounting firm Deloitte, who were instructed to carry out a detailed audit by Rosell upon takeover, uncovered a very different scenario to the picture Laporta was painting at the time. Per BBC Sport:

A new audit into Barcelona's finances have revealed the club's debt is 442m euros (?369.5m) after a loss of more than 77m euros (?64.36m) last season.

The previous board, led by Joan Laporta, had announced the club was 11m euros in the black at the end of June.

But a new audit carried out by Deloitte for new president Sandro Rosell's team reveals a far less healthy scenario.

[...] The audit shows that Barca's costs in the 2009-10 season rose to ?400m, with their income at ?341.7m.

Barca also had to recently take out a loan of around ?125m after falling behind with the payment of player wages at the end of June, while central defender Dymtro Chygrynskiy was hastily sold to Shakhtar Donetsk to raise much-needed funds for the club

Category

Laporta

Rosell

Benefits

Expenses

Balance

Debt

As you can see there is a difference of 88 million Euros. Here is why:

Joan Gamper Sant Joan Desp? land sale ? 21.5 million. Only 1 million has been received so far. This money was not included as income by the auditor.

Mediapro TV contract ? 16 million were included from a deal with Mediapro where the club will get 4 million until 2013 for TV rights. Only 4 million were included by the auditor.

Mediapro legal dispute ? There is also a legal dispute with Mediapro where Barca would get 13 million back from them (in case of winning the dispute). The auditor only took 50% into account.

Henry?s last year amortization value ? 8.2 million ? This was not included by the auditor since Henry will not complete his last year in Barca.

Baena?s indemnisation ? there is a legal dispute with Espanyol for this player?s transfer which could give Barca 3.9 millions (if Barca wins the legal dispute) ? Not included by the auditor.

Villa Decans lands ? These lands were estimated to have a value of 17 million euros by a appraiser consultant hired by Laporta but the new management got this estimate from an actual certified appraiser who valued the land in 5.7 millions. Auditor included 50% of the difference between both amounts.

Sogecable?s contract ? there is also a legal dispute against Sogecable for TV rights that could give Barca 25 million euros back. ? This was not included since Barca lost the first sitting of this dispute.

Given Laporta's legal background, it's not too difficult to imagine the spin that he and his board wished to put on what was, effectively, a ruinous situation were it allowed to continue for much longer.

Joan Laporta used his charisma to win the 2003 club elections. Ian Walton/Getty Images
Good looking, personable and evidently much more charismatic than both Rosell and Bartomeu, it's important to remember that during the elections of 2003, Laporta started well behind the favourites with a manifesto that didn't particularly appeal in the initial stages.

A promise to deliver David Beckham to Barcelona was possibly the single most significant statement which began to win the voters round, but it was a promise he failed to deliver. Ronaldinho was a more-than-adequate replacement, but Rosell and others soon saw through the flashy exterior.

Ronaldinho was the first major signing of the Laporta era. But he wanted David Beckham. Shaun Botterill/Getty Images
The fallout between the two former friends was a huge PR gaffe for the club, and the poison and vitriol on both sides threatened to derail any on-pitch success.

The spat between former friends Rosell and Laporta was unsavoury. David Ramos/Associated Press
There are also misapprehensions that Pep Guardiola was always squarely behind his boss Laporta, but an extract from Marti Perarnau's book?Pep Confidential: The Inside Story of Pep Guardiola's First Season at Bayern Munich?suggests this was often completely wide of the mark. Via *********, Perarnau notes:

He had found in Joan Laporta a dynamic but pushy man who possessed volcanic energy and who could be supportive one minute and undermining the next.

[...] Guardiola balanced the at-times hysterical behaviour of Laporta with his own calm sobriety.

[...] Relations with neither president were simple. Pep managed to deal calmly and quietly with Laporta?s histrionic outbursts [...] At times Pep felt like the captain of a ponderous ocean liner as he fought to steer the team in one direction whilst the club pulled in the other. No decision was straightforward...

Looks like laporta ended messigician and Barto with one press conference.

You love to see it

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
OK our wage bill for 20/21 was 617m, how did we spend the other 519m, since our total expenses for the past season was 1.13b (1136m) euros, the historical high in the history of this club? Where did we spend the money?

How the heck can we justify spending 19% more than 19/20 in the middle of a pandemic when our revenues took a huge hit? Bartomeu was responsible but Laporta needs to explain it.

malvolio

OK our wage bill for 20/21 was 617m, how did we spend the other 519m, since our total expenses for the past season was 1.13b (1136m) euros, the historical high in the history of this club? Where did we spend the money?

How the heck can we justify spending 19% more than 19/20 in the middle of a pandemic when our revenues took a huge hit? Bartomeu was responsible but Laporta needs to explain it.

A bit of context(if i got this right):

Laporta says: "We got a loan of 550M with an interest rate of 1.1% to restructure the club."

Then he also says: ?As of today, the debt is ?1,350 million. The economic and patrimonial situation is very worrying and the financial situation is dramatic."

So he included the bank loans(the 550M one and previous ones) in that 1,35 billion debt.

The sporting and financial project of the new FC Barcelona board of directors has received a vote of confidence in receiving a stable triple B negative credit rating from the credit rating agency Fitc.
With this BBB stable negative rating the Fitch agency values positively the Club's financial project, which will have to undergo important readjustments to balance books.

So the audit gave us an OK rating(medium - considered investment grade), provided we commit to restructuring our finances.

Laporta just playing with numbers at this point to make him look like the savior. Not saying that we're flying, but we're not on the verge of bankruptcy either.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
A bit of context(if i got this right):

Laporta says: "We got a loan of 550M with an interest rate of 1.1% to restructure the club."

Then he also says: ?As of today, the debt is ?1,350 million. The economic and patrimonial situation is very worrying and the financial situation is dramatic."

So he included the bank loans(the 550M one and previous ones) in that 1,35 billion debt.

The sporting and financial project of the new FC Barcelona board of directors has received a vote of confidence in receiving a stable triple B negative credit rating from the credit rating agency Fitc.
With this BBB stable negative rating the Fitch agency values positively the Club's financial project, which will have to undergo important readjustments to balance books.

So the audit gave us an OK rating(medium - considered investment grade), provided we commit to restructuring our finances.

Laporta just playing with numbers at this point to make him look like the savior. Not saying that we're flying, but we're not on the verge of bankruptcy either.

What you have here is regarding our gross debt or total liabilities which I understand (posted the breakdown of our debt in the Barca Finance thread). What I don't understand is how could we spend so much last season, the huge wage bill aside. I can't believe they spent 519m on things outside of the wage bill, where did the money go to? That's what I want to know.

malvolio

What you have here is regarding our gross debt or total liabilities which I understand (posted the breakdown of our debt in the Barca Finance thread). What I don't understand is how could we spend so much last season, the huge wage bill aside. I can't believe they spent 519m on things outside of the wage bill, where did the money go to? That's what I want to know.

"The club's wage bill is 103% of the club's total revenue. The wage bill is €617M: between 25% and 30% more than our competitors."

this is current wage bill. you said that this is for last season. not the same thing. and i believe it includes player salaries + the cost of amortization of those players.

and i don't know where you got that 1.13b (1136m) euros number.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
"The club's wage bill is 103% of the club's total revenue. The wage bill is €617M: between 25% and 30% more than our competitors."

this is current wage bill. you said that this is for last season. not the same thing. and i believe it includes player salaries + the cost of amortization of those players.

and i don't know where you got that 1.13b (1136m) euros number.

Laporta himself said it. 1136m of expenses - 631m of revenue, which would make the total losses 505m, don't know where the 24m of additional money came from, which in the end made our losses to be 481m.

He listed what the situation is: "631 million in income and 1,136 in expenses, 617 in sports wage bill." The debt is, according to Laporta, 1,350 million (counting debts to players, deferred salaries or income from installments that will not be entered), and the impact of Covid "is 91 million."

https://www.mundodeportivo.com/futb...aporta-carta-bartomeu-acto-desesperacion.html

Also reported by https://www.palco23.com/clubes/el-f...15-su-deuda-hasta-1350-millones-de-euros.html

Last edited:

ItachiXXX

Only dumb sheep will believe what all Laporta said. Battling politicians and their followers is one of the most entertaining.
These politicians will always find a way to blame others but not them

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Only dumb sheep will believe what all Laporta said. Battling politicians and their followers is one of the most entertaining.

It is like in a democracy where the incumbent always blames his or her predecessor and the cycle goes on and on and on. I am always trying to fix the mistakes that someone else made. I am always doing a good job and the guy before me left me a mess. Of course people have to take what they say with a grain of salt. Perhaps a lot.

Still better than those clubs where you are stuck with the owner, like in an authoritarian state. If your leader is benevolent and good, you are lucky; if not, sorry you are screwed.

Birdy

It is like in a democracy where the incumbent always blames his or her predecessor and the cycle goes on and on and on. I am always trying to fix the mistakes that someone else made. I am always doing a good job and the guy before me left me a mess. Of course people have to take what they say with a grain of salt. Perhaps a lot.

Still better than those clubs where you are stuck with the owner, like in an authoritarian state. If your leader is benevolent and good, you are lucky; if not, sorry you are screwed.

Right, but then anyone with some critical thinking ability can judge whether the incumbent or the predecessor is lying.
And then, there are facts
Laporta conducted an audit. Are the results of the audit objectionable?

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Right, but then anyone with some critical thinking ability can judge whether the incumbent or the predecessor is lying.
And then, there are facts
Laporta conducted an audit. Are the results of the audit objectionable?

The audit results are devastating. I think the poster above was talking about how Laporta and Bartomeu were pointing fingers at each other etc. I think there is no doubt we are almost in financial ruins thanks to Bartomeu & Co., whatever Rosell and Bartomeu took over from Laporta in 2010 pales in front of the hole we are in today.

El Gato

Villarato!

What are you trying to say bro? That Jojo is lying about finances?

Home of Barca Fans