Joan Laporta

behindbrowneyes

So "intentionally" increasing the loss didn't impact our salary cap limit or what I'm missing here? I'm not saying it would be enough to keep Messi but I don't think it helped us either. Anyway, now it is what it is (smart saying from a very smart man btw :valverde:). I don't agree with some Laporta moves here but let's hope he and his people know what they're doing.

It did indeed impact the salary cap limit for this summer in a negative way. Even without that it wouldn't have been easy to keep Leo as club needed to save 200M in salaries or sell players for that amount to keep him within La Liga's rules. No one wanted Pjanic or Umtiti even for free so far, so we couldn't even save their salary. No one wanted to pay anything near Griezmann's book value as his salary is insane, so selling some young asset like Pedri or FDJ for big money would have been the only possibility to keep Leo at the club within the rules. Some "gentlemen's" agreement regarding CVC-deal was imo the only way to keep Leo without doing that, but definitely also apart from the rules.

It hurts us this summer, but it makes absolutely sense for the upcoming summer transfer window. Amortisations won't be as high, revenue should rise this season, therefore the salary cap will be higher too for this two reasons. If you are planning a BIG signing next summer, this was the only way to go. And with big, I mean a tall, blonde goal-scoring machine. Not gonna say that he is feasible with all costs considered, but the club should have more freedom next summer regarding new signings.

Just because FFP rules are pretty much rescinded this season, doesn't mean they'll be next one.

And tbf I totally understand that Laporta and the board did it also from their personal perspective, to clear the books. Everybody and their grandmother knew that Pjanic-deal was to whitewash the balance account. There is no market for a 31yo on high salary whose legs look gone and who hasn't played for almost a season.

serghei

:lol: Wow, if he really did premeditate the Messi thing (doubt it still), the man is an absolute genius president. Far better than I thought he is.

If this guys secures Haaland and brings the club back on top for the 3rd time they need to build him a statue. It's a near impossible situation. Imagine getting Laporta on fair weather with money to spend like that clown Bartomeu wasted.

Last edited:

i_bleed_blaugrana

:lol: Wow if he really did premeditated the Messi thing, the man is an absolute genius president. Far better than I thought he is.

I love you and all man but I never get it with you and Leo.

I know what you are gonna say, all I am gonna say on this is lets wait to see how PSG does in the CL.

jamrock

Told everyone to relax the great Joan laporta got this, steady hands to lead the ship, after he brings us back to glory, I just hope we don't elect another Bartomeu.

KingLeo10

:lol: Wow, if he really did premeditate the Messi thing (doubt it still), the man is an absolute genius president. Far better than I thought he is.

If this guys secures Haaland and brings the club back on top for the 3rd time they need to build him a statue. It's a near impossible situation. Imagine getting Laporta on fair weather with money to spend like that clown Bartomeu wasted.

Messi and Barcelona needed to divorce. At this stage in his career, he needs better caliber players around him to win a CL or big trophies. And Barcelona with current Messi were nowhere near CL contenders. We freed up 150M a year on wages and can rebuild quicker than we would have with Messi spending another 2-3 years here.

You know what I also think? That Messi never wanted to renew as well. Just as Laporta never intended to do anything to keep him. Both parties knew a split was needed IMO.

FinBarcelonafan

Messi and Barcelona needed to divorce. At this stage in his career, he needs better caliber players around him to win a CL or big trophies. And Barcelona with current Messi were nowhere near CL contenders. We freed up 150M a year on wages and can rebuild quicker than we would have with Messi spending another 2-3 years here.

You know what I also think? That Messi never wanted to renew as well. Just as Laporta never intended to do anything to keep him. Both parties knew a split was needed IMO.

Good points and interesting theory. It's possible.

Raketa10

I am more and more certain that he wanted Messi out. The only thing that doesn't support this theory is transfer of Aguero.

serghei

I love you and all man but I never get it with you and Leo.

I know what you are gonna say, all I am gonna say on this is lets wait to see how PSG does in the CL.

There's nothing to get really, I just don't like the man as pretty much everybody knows by now. I know you do so it wasn't a dig or anything, just banter.

khaled_a_d

A loan wouldn't have helped us with the salary cap though, right? If so then this doesn't really change anything about our summer transfers.

Exactly, it isn't done by owners of the club so it isn't considered income.

Only other connection is the CVC deal

with an interest rate of 1.98% and a guarantee in Bar?a?s television rights

There is two theories in the comment, one that it means it is similar to CVC deal and they get a share of the TV rights (and I don't believe that one) and the other it is used as guarantee to pay the agreement, so they only get it if we failed to pay normally.
If it is the later (most likely) then there is zero connection to the Messi situation.

Messi983

There is two theories in the comment, one that it means it is similar to CVC deal and they get a share of the TV rights (and I don't believe that one) and the other it is used as guarantee to pay the agreement, so they only get it if we failed to pay normally.
If it is the later (most likely)
then there is zero connection to the Messi situation.

This is how I understand it too. It's a good deal.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

I am more and more certain that he wanted Messi out. The only thing that doesn't support this theory is transfer of Aguero.

aguero was bought to distract from the theory but he also knew that aguero could weaken us so he needed to let him hurt and get injured for months.....could be the most genius guy ever

Prodi

Exactly, it isn't done by owners of the club so it isn't considered income.

Only other connection is the CVC deal

If it is the later (most likely) then there is zero connection to the Messi situation.

It's used as guarantee they dont get any share of tv rights.

Home of Barca Fans