Joan Laporta

Jaguar

Flair Trait
I have a big feeling Laporta didn't get rid of Griezmann until the last day purposely. As he knew Alba, Busquets and Roberto likely wouldn't have accepted a reduced wage if Griezmann was gotten rid of much earlier. As they would have made excuse that Griezmann had massive wage and that's him gone so they didn't need to reduce their wages. Now they have accepted reduction of wages Laporta reduced the wage bill even more so by kicking Griezmann out. Genius :boss:

khaled_a_d

I have a big feeling Laporta didn't get rid of Griezmann until the last day purposely. As he knew Alba, Busquets and Roberto likely wouldn't have accepted a reduced wage if Griezmann was gotten rid of much earlier. As they would have made excuse that Griezmann had massive wage and that's him gone so they didn't need to reduce their wages. Now they have accepted reduction of wages Laporta reduced the wage bill even more so by kicking Griezmann out. Genius :boss:

Atletico couldn't do Griezmann deal without Saul going out, and the later moved out in same minute of Griezmann.
I don't think there is any conspiracy theory behind it, it was just patience to get the best possible deal.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
There is no conspiracy... It is clear Laporta doesn't have any kind of plan and is improvising as he goes, to think he had some genius idea in advance is giving him too much credit.

mc_lovin

There is no conspiracy... It is clear Laporta doesn't have any kind of plan and is improvising as he goes, to think he had some genius idea in advance is giving him too much credit.

He's successfully improvising though. Brilliant window all things considered.

Not sure how much of a plan you can make either, he got the right people (early days) and managed our short term debt. What should he have done more?

Barcilliant

Not sure how much of a plan you can make either, he got the right people (early days) and managed our short term debt. What should he have done more?

Brilliant window? Sorry, no. Losing Messi was bad but I'm not crying over spilt milk. However we didn't bring anyone good in besides Depay. No decent cb, no b2b midfielder and no proper nine. De Jong and an ailing Aguero are poor business.

MTL_Barca

Brilliant window? Sorry, no. Losing Messi was bad but I'm not crying over spilt milk. However we didn't bring anyone good in besides Depay. No decent cb, no b2b midfielder and no proper nine. De Jong and an ailing Aguero are poor business.

I mean Kun and especially De Jong are questionable signings to say the least but expecting a class defender, midfielder and attacker with our finances was never realistic in the slightest.

As things look so far we striked gold with Depay, but he's far from the standard for free players and there simply was no money to buy anyone.

Biggest letdown of the window besides Messi leaving was not getting rid of Umtiti and Pjanic but i'm not suprised nobody wanted them.

Raketa10

Brilliant window? WTF??? We lost Messi and we have signed Luuk De Jong and Kun Aguero! Wijanldum was hijacked from PSG and we were incapable of landing any good players except Depay. In addition to that Braithwaite, Pjanic and Umtiti are still here! Brilliant window?!?!? I mean what the actual fuck?!?!?!

malvolio

only thing brilliant about this transfer window was ditching griezmann. otherwise it is pretty clear laporta is playing the long game and season will be about finishing in top 4 and assessing the squad.

i'd be very surprised if he pulls off the rebuild by this time next year. just too many unknows, players that have to be replaced and things that have to go in our favor.

so most probably in 2 years time we will find out if laporta did a good job or not.

mc_lovin

Brilliant window? WTF??? We lost Messi and we have signed Luuk De Jong and Kun Aguero! Wijanldum was hijacked from PSG and we were incapable of landing any good players except Depay. In addition to that Braithwaite, Pjanic and Umtiti are still here! Brilliant window?!?!? I mean what the actual fuck?!?!?!

I guess it depends on how you see our situation. For me:
- No way we could have kept Messi. Literally impossible.
- Extremely tough to even make a 20-30ME signing (even when signing someone for that amount we would have needed to hit the jackpot, which is unlikely).
- We got decent free transfers+Demir and 2 CF's (Kun and Luuk). The strikers aren't great, but we need to make up numbers offensively, even if one is just a role player and the other has question marks about his health.
- Ilaix and Griezmann were brilliant business. Emerson was okay.
- Umtiti and Pjanic sucks, but just look around at other big clubs. They all can't get rid of their dead weight: PSG sold for just 6ME, Real had major issues, United as well...

Edit: Early days, but it looks like we dodged a bullet with Wijnaldum.

JamDav1982

It was best for Messi and the club to part ways this summer but they could have renewed him before contract expired.

Either Barca/Messi or both knew that he was going.

JamDav1982

If we moved faster and extended him maybe, but that was hardly in Messi's interest (with Copa coming up and to get the best possible deal for him).

That doesnt add up.

If they want to keep Messi and he wants to stay that is such a huge decision to make they dont just leave it as he has Copa coming up.

If that was indeed the reason it is about the most pathetic of all the reasons why renewal did not happen. It is worse than just about any other scenario if club did that.

mc_lovin

There were reports that Messi wanted to focus on the Copa first. No way to know if the club could have accelerated negotiations, but it always looked like Messi's camp wanted to take their time to get the best possible deal. His demands were huge.

JamDav1982

There were reports that Messi wanted to focus on the Copa first. No way to know if the club could have accelerated negotiations, but it always looked like Messi's camp wanted to take their time to get the best possible deal. His demands were huge.

That is most pathetic excuse possible.

They had months to get it done and just about every other player out of contract wants to sign before tournament due to risk of injury etc.

'Messi wanting to focus on Copa' was most likely nonsense to deflect from fact contract had not been signed.

Home of Barca Fans