Joan Laporta

Porque

Logically Christensen and Kessie should be on higher contracts than Gavi and Araujo. But ideally we should have had Gavi, Araujo (+Nico) signed and sealed before we enter the free agent market.

But Christensen and Kessie will have other suitors so time is at the essence. It worked out in our favour in the end but look at Wijnaldum. He was agreed without a contract in place, and then we got trumped by a higher offer. We don't really want that to happen.

Now Gavi and Araujo, by the book (and we all know business doesn't go that way) should not even have alternative offers or wages in their ears as they can't legally negotiate with anyone. So the question should just be whether they are happy or not with their offers. And that is what Laporta is getting at. The same way when in December Laporta said (and I'm paraphrasing) that he thinks Dembele has already agreed with someone else. What he was essentially saying was that Dembele has broken FIFA law and discussed transfer offers with other clubs outside of the legal period to do so. If he didn't how would he know that there are higher offers.

And of course the long game is that their wages will grow.

Last edited:

Porque

He's the Jewell of the team right now inclusive of Pedri imo. We need to sign him down but not go crazy as his sample size is so small.

So around the Pedri wage level. But it's all speculative as we don't really know what his offer is and what Kessie is.

Catta

Logically Christensen and Kessie should be on higher contracts than Gavi and Araujo.

Why should they be. Christensen has shown nothing special in his career so far, Araujo is the better player between them, who can still grow and become a great CB. There is a reason why United, Chelsea and Liverpool are ready to triple Barcas offer for Araujo, while no one but Barca is offering big money to Christensen, both Chelsea and Bayer try to lowball him.

JamDav1982

Why should they be. Christensen has shown nothing special in his career so far, Araujo is the better player between them, who can still grow and become a great CB. There is a reason why United, Chelsea and Liverpool are ready to triple Barcas offer for Araujo, while no one but Barca is offering big money to Christensen, both Chelsea and Bayer try to lowball him.

They have fucked up by not renewing Araujo long ago and will now have to pay a lot more to make it happen. Most likely same with Gavi.

Araujo has every right to look at those much bigger offers elsewhere when club trying to lowball them in past then start to talk about hundreds of millions on Haaland etc.

mc_lovin

It's timing above all. We had to prioritize reinforcements first and were working at capacity by the looks of it. Renewing Araujo sooner wasn't possible I suppose. And honestly just recently he made a big enough step forward to be considered a key player.

Gari

No one has worse passing and ball handling skills than Araujo. He is the worst. When he has the ball and pressure is applied to him, it becomes scary. The speed and tackle of the ball are on the level. Gavi is also not yet the main midfielder, he does not play in his position and in the last match he was removed to the bench. Let them decide for themselves. Laporta is right.

khaled_a_d

There is an argument for Araujo getting paid better than Christensen, although at 23 he is just playong his 2nd season and he was far from good in 1st half of last season. Small sample size in comparison to someone like Christensen, correct me but we don't know if he is offered less than the danish.
No way in hell Gavi should get more than Kessie, and I am not big fan of the Ivorian btw. But 17 years old kid like Gavi shouldn't be aiming that level of money, he can take a look at Moriba if he insists on that

JamDav1982

It's timing above all. We had to prioritize reinforcements first and were working at capacity by the looks of it. Renewing Araujo sooner wasn't possible I suppose. And honestly just recently he made a big enough step forward to be considered a key player.

Nah it wasnt timing.

Could have renewed him whenever they wanted and structured in way to pay from summer if needs be.

They have chosen other priorities and been left in situation that likes of Araujo now has better offers.

Araujo was a starting defender last season and had all the same tools to potentially by a top defender. Should have been dealt with a long time ago.

serghei

There is an argument for Araujo getting paid better than Christensen, although at 23 he is just playong his 2nd season and he was far from good in 1st half of last season. Small sample size in comparison to someone like Christensen, correct me but we don't know if he is offered less than the danish.
No way in hell Gavi should get more than Kessie, and I am not big fan of the Ivorian btw. But 17 years old kid like Gavi shouldn't be aiming that level of money, he can take a look at Moriba if he insists on that

Imo he should be close to Christensen with his new contract, but the Danish is a more mature, experienced player.

Birdy

About Kessie/Gavi, you may have a point.
But, about Araujo, not really..
He is topping all defending metrics in LaLiga, he has been no1 in the 'dribbled past' stat since the beginning of the season.
There is a strong argument there that it's ridiculous to get paid less than Christensen, who is not even no1 defender at Chelsea, who play with 3 at the back
And please, no: caps for Denmark say shite. Even Braithwaite has.

Imo he should be close to Christensen with his new contract, but the Danish is a more mature, experienced player.

What does it mean 'experienced' if this is not translated into tangible skills?
Araujo is better than Christensen in all aspects of the game bar passing out from the back

serghei

What does it mean 'experienced' if this is not translated into tangible skills?
Araujo is better than Christensen in all aspects of the game bar passing out from the back

I don't think that's true. Not yet. It's probable that he will become a better CB, but not sure he's better than Christensen currently.

Birdy

I don't think that's true. Not yet. It's probable that he will become a better CB, but not sure he's better than Christensen currently.

Simple stat comparison.
You can do it yourself customizing the criteria.

Two last seasons (20/21 and 21/22):

Tackles won per 90:
Araujo 1.16
Chr. 0.77

% of dribblers successfully tackled per 90:
Araujo 78.8%
Chr. 47.4%

Successful Pressures per 90:
Araujo 3.2
Chr. 2.9

% Aerial Duels won per 90:
Araujo 77%
Chr. 62.8%

And if you want that too:
Goals Total
Araujo 5
Chr. 0
Non-penalty xG/90
Araujo 2.5
Chr. 0.4

JamDav1982

Dodgy to take stats and compare from different leagues and players in different teams.

Aruajo is quicker, stronger and better in the air but Christensen not poor at any of those and like Baresi on the ball compared to Araujo.

If comparing them 1 on 1 vs worth to team Araujo is the better bet for what he may become but also could get 40-50m for him maybe in summer to improve team if it came to him refusing contract.

Can see why Aruajo would not be low balled as the players can see through the nonsense of financial issues as Dembele did.

Home of Barca Fans