Joan Laporta

Neeraj

Luft, I don't get it, why do you hate Laporta so much? Isn't the no1 job of a President to make sure the team is evolving? He is doing that, so what if he wants to rely on people he knows?

Laporta is Florentino Perez' match. Bartomeu was way out of his league. Now we match with Madrid well at the top in terms of management. Neither Florentino, nor Laporta are perfect by any means, but they know the sport. They know how to set up successful projects. All Bartomeu did was to sign superstars only for later to become their puppet. Then one of them left for a higher bidder, and his project got the club in ruins.

You may not like Laporta, but he's a different league to the likes of Bartomeu. He actually has a spine and is prepared to take the harsh decisions that serve the club instead of the players.

Laporta is here for 6 months in effect and we already are on the up with minimum investments. Everything else is secondary. This is what counts, for the team to evolve and compete with the best of the best. Money will come in time as a result of that.

I kind of get where he is coming from though. We have to see if Laporta can repeat the success or will it prove to be just a lot of luck. If you live in Barcelona, you see a lot more of the non-footballing side of Laporta, and yeah, he's very cringe. While I obviously don't know him at all, people I work with do, and he just doesn't seem like a guy with a strategic plan or some highly intelligent vision. It's all a bit gung-ho and ad-hoc.

I'm not saying that cannot work, it could. And of course nobody comes close to the filth that was Sandra/Bartomeu. But I do understand people wary of Laporta. I am too, but I am willing to go along for the ride as long as he delivers the results.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
I believe Laporta is certainly 'good enough', but some of his decisions have looked a bit dubious to me, there are things that could be questioned.
There is an insane strength in the club and the squad however, and after 10 years of terrible and corrupt leadership, one year of good leadership will predictably lead to a great turnaround as we have seen. But I wonder if Font for example wouldn't be able to do an even better job...

You can always question things, even with the ideal leader - I have questioned things from him as well, i.e. not firing Koeman immediately and hiring Xavi

Font has zero experience leading a football club and is only a recent cule, Joan knows the club inside & out and has always had it's best interests at heart - who on earth could be better than one of our own? People mention Pique and it's at that level because between Nunistas vs Cruyffists there are corporatists like Barto and I would say Font (He's part of the same click of business school corporatists with Serrano)

If we've learned anything going from heights of Laporta's first tenure to the depths of Rosell & Bartomeu corruption & decimation to Joan 2.0 that sticking with the model has guaranteed sporting & financial success - there are improvements to be made of course but I wouldn't want any other leader

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Xavi was always on his list, he just wasn't riding xavi's D like font.

Exactly, Font put all his eggs in the Xavi basket despite innovative ideas because no one trusted him. The fact Xavi abandoned him tells you everything, he knew Laporta would be the heavy favorite and he wasn't going to burn that bridge by campaigning for Victor

The Xavi, Xavi, Xavi soundclip from the debates was gold and it sunk any remote chance of mounting a challenge - Xavi knows Laporta and knows he's a great leader, he just wasn't in the game when he joined Font

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Luft, I don't get it, why do you hate Laporta so much? Isn't the no1 job of a President to make sure the team is evolving? He is doing that, so what if he wants to rely on people he knows?

Laporta is Florentino Perez' match. Bartomeu was way out of his league. Now we match with Madrid well at the top in terms of management. Neither Florentino, nor Laporta are perfect by any means, but they know the sport. They know how to set up successful projects. All Bartomeu did was to sign superstars only for later to become their puppet. Then one of them left for a higher bidder, and his project got the club in ruins.

You may not like Laporta, but he's a different league to the likes of Bartomeu. He actually has a spine and is prepared to take the harsh decisions that serve the club instead of the players.

Laporta is here for 6 months in effect and we already are on the up with minimum investments. Everything else is secondary. This is what counts, for the team to evolve and compete with the best of the best. Money will come in time as a result of that.

I don't "hate" Laporta, I think he is a typical politician that talks all the talks, he likes to brag and showcase himself but that's not my main beef with him. My biggest problem with him is how he is managing the club, the "presential model" he prefers with him front and center making all the decisions, his de-professionalizing the club with firing business professionals or driving them away, only to be filled with friends and acquaintances that have little expertise. I am vehemently against this "family business" BS, the club doesn't belong to him. Cronyism and nepotism are anti-business, anti-growth. These things will take their time to show up and they will cost the club eventually.

On the pitch we are on the rise, yes and kudos to the work done by Alemany who was hired by Laporta and kudos to Xavi. Off the pitch Laporta has managed to cut some costs so kudos to them there but other than, he has very little to show for. He talked about transparency during his campaign but where is the transparency? The socis don't even know what they are voting on the Spotify deal. Espai Barca is getting nowhere because of a myriad of issues and now he is conveniently blaming it on the war in Ukraine.

He is not match for Florentino Perez, let's be honest about it.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Stadium plans are of course needed but the most important thing for a football club, is to actually be good on the pitch.

Espai Barca would have been a disaster when Barca kept sliding down in status amongst Europe?s elite and there?s no reason for the next generation to follow the club.

All that stadium money and it would be half empty because no tourist is travelling to watch an Abde-Jutgla frontline.

Yes, but I'd point out the very reason why we are building a new stadium is not just for bragging rights or to keep us feel good in front of Madrid fans, it is the additional income that it is supposed to generate to sustain the club, especially the football men's first team.

Money doesn't grow on trees, if we don't turn this around, players will leave, we won't be able to buy new quality players and the result on the pitch will reflect it accordingly.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Many of you guys are only focusing on the first team, how it is doing, how it is evolving etc., the sporting side of things. Very important certainly but without a solid foundation to support it, it is going to wither sooner or later.

Bobo32

Exactly, Font put all his eggs in the Xavi basket despite innovative ideas because no one trusted him. The fact Xavi abandoned him tells you everything, he knew Laporta would be the heavy favorite and he wasn't going to burn that bridge by campaigning for Victor

The Xavi, Xavi, Xavi soundclip from the debates was gold and it sunk any remote chance of mounting a challenge - Xavi knows Laporta and knows he's a great leader, he just wasn't in the game when he joined Font

I thought the Xavi, Xavi, Xavi moment was not gold, but sort of like Laportas own "You can't handle the truth". It should have been. He lost face by needing to go low like that against a candidate that should be respected for his vision. I lost respect for Laporta there, but maybe it was +EV for him still as most members seemed to think it was very cool... Just as they fell for Rosell and Bartomeu before...

I agree mostly about your previous post btw. Laporta waiting for Xavi seems even weaker in hindsight, maybe Barcelona would've won this liga clearly if Font had won and appointed Xavi instantly? I am of course positive towards Laporta though!

jamrock

Many of you guys are only focusing on the first team, how it is doing, how it is evolving etc., the sporting side of things. Very important certainly but without a solid foundation to support it, it is going to wither sooner or later.

Lufts is looking for some romantized Verison of a leader that doesn't exist anywhere.

He as turnt us around on the pitch, our finances were a joke when he came in, we were at the lowest of the low and he and the team have stabilized things, now over the coming YEARS, not months or 1 year, I am 100% we will see growth in that department.

Also this constant rush to build a new stadium because everyone has one doesn't make sense, If we have to wait given where we are, that again he is 100% doing the right thing.

Also if he wants to figure people who doesn't believe in his vision for the clubs future, as the leader thanks his job & responsibility, he has 100% earn the benefit of the doubt.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
I saw it as Joan taking a dig at Font because rather than come up with original responses to questions, he kept deferring to Xavi this or that as it was some sort of card he kept playing. So sure, it was childish from Laporta but absolutely needed to be said & it very clearly imploded his election chances that were on fumes anyway

Politically, Joan is a formidable opponent against corporate guys but the beauty is that he is not merely a politician for his own advancement but that of the club

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Lufts is looking for some romantized Verison of a leader that doesn't exist anywhere.

He as turnt us around on the pitch, our finances were a joke when he came in, we were at the lowest of the low and he and the team have stabilized things, now over the coming YEARS, not months or 1 year, I am 100% we will see growth in that department.

Also this constant rush to build a new stadium because everyone has one doesn't make sense, If we have to wait given where we are, that again he is 100% doing the right thing.

Also if he wants to figure people who doesn't believe in his vision for the clubs future, as the leader thanks his job & responsibility, he has 100% earn the benefit of the doubt.

I know you are a big fan of his, but I really think this 100% talk is just blind faith and not much substance. Yes he came in when the club was in its worst financial shape and he inherited a mess, he did take some necessary steps to keep the club afloat but other than that, again he has very little, next to nothing to show for after one year in the office. I am willing to give him time and the benefit of doubt if he genuinely shows he has not only the desire but also the right people and resources to get it done. But he hasn’t, on the contrary, he is turning himself into a dictator more than ever and turning the club into a “family business”. That’s what I can’t stand.

Espai Barca is important but I was mentioning it mostly as an example to showcase how Laporta is shifting the blame and moving the goal post for something that he has not been able to move at all. Excuses for his own failure.

Many in the local Catalan and Barca circles in Barcelona have criticized Laporta on these structural and institutional things, international fans naturally focus their attention on results and what is happening on the pitch at the moment, and transfers etc. more than anything else.

serghei

I don't "hate" Laporta, I think he is a typical politician that talks all the talks, he likes to brag and showcase himself but that's not my main beef with him. My biggest problem with him is how he is managing the club, the "presential model" he prefers with him front and center making all the decisions, his de-professionalizing the club with firing business professionals or driving them away, only to be filled with friends and acquaintances that have little expertise. I am vehemently against this "family business" BS, the club doesn't belong to him. Cronyism and nepotism are anti-business, anti-growth. These things will take their time to show up and they will cost the club eventually.

On the pitch we are on the rise, yes and kudos to the work done by Alemany who was hired by Laporta and kudos to Xavi. Off the pitch Laporta has managed to cut some costs so kudos to them there but other than, he has very little to show for. He talked about transparency during his campaign but where is the transparency? The socis don't even know what they are voting on the Spotify deal. Espai Barca is getting nowhere because of a myriad of issues and now he is conveniently blaming it on the war in Ukraine.

He is not match for Florentino Perez, let's be honest about it.

I disagree that he is only a politician. IMO, Laporta knows masses aren't very bright. And is taking that into consideration, being a bit manipulative in his speech. I get why that may rub some the wrong way, but it's something as a leader you need to have in your toolbox.

I think the club is basically centered around the president at Barcelona, a lot of the other positions in the club's structure inevitably lead to the President having the final say. Does it seem to you that Bartomeu wasn't controlling everything? It amuses me when people believe Abidal had this amazing power in the club for example. It was just an honorary appointment IMO, Bartomeu was pulling all the strings, had the final say in everything that went to shit.

The way I see it, Laporta is like a president that makes it clear that he calls the shots. Does someone questions Pep in regards to his training drills, or in regards to playing selection? No, because the man is delivering the goods for everyone to see.

Same with Laporta. Whatever he's doing, it works so far in a very nice way. He doesn't follow a traditional recipe, because if being a top president would be about a recipe you have to follow, it wouldn't be such a hard job.

Imo, Laporta, just like Florentino, has a feel for things. Call it luck, experience, gut feeling, intuition, manipulation, he has it. For example, some said he was lucky with Xavi and he didn't want him.

Laporta was lucky with Rijkaard, was lucky with Pep, and now he's lucky again with Xavi. Quite a lot of luck to be 3/3 right. :lol:

At the very least, Laporta knows the football Barca should play and is willing to pursue that model. That alone makes him twice the president Bartomeu or Rosell were.

Last edited:

jamrock

Yep everything for Laporta its lucky or someone other genius member, that he hired, was/were responsible for everything he achieved.

So much so that the club were living off his fuses years after he left & was the magic stop, we all know what happened there.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I disagree that he is only a politician. IMO, Laporta knows masses aren't very bright. And is taking that into consideration, being a bit manipulative in his speech. I get why that may rub some the wrong way, but it's something as a leader you need to have in your toolbox.

I think the club is basically centered around the president at Barcelona, a lot of the other positions in the club's structure inevitably lead to the President having the final say. Does it seem to you that Bartomeu wasn't controlling everything? It amuses me when people believe Abidal had this amazing power in the club for example. It was just an honorary appointment IMO, Bartomeu was pulling all the strings, had the final say in everything that went to shit.

The way I see it, Laporta is like a president that makes it clear that he calls the shots. Does someone questions Pep in regards to his training drills, or in regards to playing selection? No, because the man is delivering the goods for everyone to see.

Same with Laporta. Whatever he's doing, it works so far in a very nice way. He doesn't follow a traditional recipe, because if being a top president would be about a recipe you have to follow, it wouldn't be such a hard job.

Imo, Laporta, just like Florentino, has a feel for things. Call it luck, experience, gut feeling, intuition, manipulation, he has it. For example, some said he was lucky with Xavi and he didn't want him.

Laporta was lucky with Rijkaard, was lucky with Pep, and now he's lucky again with Xavi. Quite a lot of luck to be 3/3 right. :lol:

You are talking about the sporting side of things, which I agree we could be on the way up but even with the sporting side of things I think it is way too early to say “whatever Laporta is doing, it works”. We will have to wait and see.

Again I was talking mostly in the sense of the state of the club in general, not just the sporting side of things. Recently the economic VP Eduard Romeu’s boss, Jose Elias, who was one of Laporta’s guarantors for his presidential run, quit the Espai Barca commission that he was sitting on and completely disassociated himself from the club because he felt his opinions were ignored and the commission was just there for show, that they have no power in any decision-making or anything relevant to Espai Barca. Reverter quit allegedly due to similar reasons. It has pretty much become a one-man show with his friends and acquittances he hired to become nothing but a bunch of yesmen to Laporta, this is not how this club should be run. Less transparency, less democratic and less merit- and business expertise-based decisions. I don’t care if Bartomeu was like this or not, that was a very poor yardstick to compare with anyways.

I don’t care too much about his antics, they don’t bother me that much if he gets stuff done. The problem is, on the non-sporting side, not only hasn’t he done much, he has dismantled a good business organization (for example digital department ), driven a top notch CEO away. Do I trust Laporta to negotiate with CVC, Goldman Sachs or whoever to secure Espai Barca or whatever funding? Do I trust Laporta with business decisions? Do I trust him to keep the club growing? No way.

serghei

Yep everything for Laporta its lucky or someone other genius member, that he hired, was/were responsible for everything he achieved.

So much so that the club were living off his fuses years after he left & was the magic stop, we all know what happened there.

Bartomeu and Rosell were the lucky ones to inherit the greatest team ever in Pep's Barcelona. Just imagine they would have inherited some shit version like the one Laporta go on his 2nd term. :lol:

This time it would've been sink like Titanic for sure.

Home of Barca Fans