João Cancelo

Andresito

Staff member
Xavi Hernández: "Cancelo's injury doesn't seem serious."

Still no official news but let's hope he's back soon. Didn't look good initially and would've guessed at least a couple of months out.

Think he would've thrived at LB with the spaces and opportunities Balde had yesterday. And of course delivered much better balls into the box.

JamDav1982

Balde takes the width much better than Cancelo and is a better 1v1 defender.

For team structure most coaches are taking Balde at left back... for one off moments in final third it is Cancelo.

Cancelo at LW and Balde LB even could be worth a try.

But one of main reasons Xavi has put him back to RB is because none of the RW can play that isolated wide player role and need support/width to get more narrow.

Balde is helped a lot with FDJ on that left hand side with him... but needs to get better with final ball clearly.

Messi983

I've said it before.

Cancelo LB, Balde RB, both cuting inside with wingers keeping width (they can't do anything else effective anyway) could be worth a try.

JamDav1982

I've said it before.

Cancelo LB, Balde RB, both cuting inside with wingers keeping width (they can't do anything else effective anyway) could be worth a try.

Barca dont have wide players on either side that are comfortable keeping width like that.

If anything need Balde and Cancelo to support them on that.

Balde at RB purely if tactical reasons and for 1v1 defending.. he wont be an inverted full back on the left let alone the right.

Cant see what problems in team that solves. Just makes most of them worse.

Trying to defend teams on break when both of those have gone narrower and trying to support inside would be chaotic and leave defence even more exposed.

Messi983

I think we would defend better that way. Most chances created against us are through the middle as there aren't really elite wingers in La Liga besides Vini and we have Araujo covering him in El Clasicos.

Cancelo played arguably his best game for us at LB and Balde did well when played on the right last season. Don't say this would 100% work but just something I think could be worth trying in some games. Could also use Cancelo as inverted FB and Balde to keep width.

I just don't think utilising them the way we currently are gets the best out of either.

Andresito

Staff member
So, nothing is torn which is good. Curious about the recovery time which is dependent on the severity of the sprain. Could be anything between 3-12 weeks.

MEDICAL NEWS | Tests carried out this morning have revealed that first team player João Cancelo has a left MCL strain. He is out and his recovery will determine his availability.

JamDav1982

I think we would defend better that way. Most chances created against us are through the middle as there aren't really elite wingers in La Liga besides Vini and we have Araujo covering him in El Clasicos.

Cancelo played arguably his best game for us at LB and Balde did well when played on the right last season. Don't say this would 100% work but just something I think could be worth trying in some games. Could also use Cancelo as inverted FB and Balde to keep width.

I just don't think utilising them the way we currently are gets the best out of either.

Canelo wasnt a great defender playing there for City and it would be a completely foreign position for Balde.

Cancelo played well at left back once this season and team looked a shambles defensively more often than that game with him there... not all his fault.

On the left the team has better structure with Balde taking width and FDJ in the left DM area as yestrday and as last season... dont need to shoe horn Cancelo in there and make team weaker defensively.

Cant see it and better putting them in more natural positions and also dont have the wide plateys to even play that way.

Richard.H

Probably the streakiest football player I've seen in a very long time. Can look like Dani Alves and Dest simultaneously in the same match.

Horatio

You're welcome
We already knew he offers offensive strength but at expense of defensive qualitied.

I don’t care that much for the mistake as he came back from injury.

I really liked when he apologized to the fans. Shows he is not too prideful and self-reflective. Could be indicator he is driven to improve as player.

Home of Barca Fans