Kevin De Bruyne

soul24rage

Belgium had awful managers before Martinez, in that they have failed.
But in 2018 when they were still at their prime, and 2021 when some of them were still there at good level, they were narrowly defeated by the eventual champions. In both times they gave it their all and wasn't some humiliation or slouching. And both France and Italy actually had better squad on those games.
Tanc actually answeres in stupid way, because what KDB was pointing is that other teams had golden generations too, it wasn't just Belgium to mark them as failures. It is like saying Klopp failed BVB because that golden generation didn't win CL, while ignoring that they weren't the best team
Yeah, 2018 and 2021, I don't blame them at all.

It's Euros 2016 and WC 2022 (and maybe the Nations League as well if you want to count them) that made it underwhelming.

Maradona37

They had some good tournaments and some poor ones. Personally I thought a few of their players were a little overhyped anyway (not De Bruyne or Hazard) so I don't really count it against them that much. Of course, by far their biggest issue was having a clown like Martinez for a coach.

The biggest embarrassment was probably the loss against wales at Euro 2016 - they could have won that tournament potentially. Their best tournament was in Russia, where I felt they were one of the best teams. The loss against France was a close, tight game of very fine margins, with the French finding the goal that Belgium could not. That was their chance and I haven't considered them a really top team since then.

Overall - taking into account me thinking the media overegged the pudding with the quality of a few of their players - they have done ok. But they could have won something with a little more luck.

khaled_a_d

Yeah, 2018 and 2021, I don't blame them at all.

It's Euros 2016 and WC 2022 (and maybe the Nations League as well if you want to count them) that made it underwhelming.

2016 was the golden generation only real failure, 2014 they were too young and in 2022 it wasn't their generation anymore, they should have been just the old survival of old guard who support new guns. Sort like Argentina, it wasn't the Aguero, Higuin, Mascherano gen anymore but the De Paul and Enzo, with experienced old guard in Messi & ADM. Belgium didn't have a replacement and was just mediocre squad in 2022 not a "golden one".

khaled_a_d

They had some good tournaments and some poor ones. Personally I thought a few of their players were a little overhyped anyway (not De Bruyne or Hazard) so I don't really count it against them that much. Of course, by far their biggest issue was having a clown like Martinez for a coach.

Martinez is a good NT coach.
People always fell in the mistake of judging international football the same way they do with club football, and then they have essentially rule everyone as mediocre.
Martinez arrived after 2016 failure, made thema cohesive unit and done well tbh, before the usual wear for prolinged stay, his first two tournaments he didn't lose against sides he should gave beaten, in fact it was the opposite. In fact, he is one of very few coaches with NT who tries to attack, which while it isn't snart thing to do, it is commandable.

International football is mostly about killing the game and snatching a goal from opponents mistakes, and fans hate that and deem every coach a bad one.

Maradona37

Martinez is a good NT coach.
People always fell in the mistake of judging international football the same way they do with club football, and then they have essentially rule everyone as mediocre.
Martinez arrived after 2016 failure, made thema cohesive unit and done well tbh, before the usual wear for prolinged stay, his first two tournaments he didn't lose against sides he should gave beaten, in fact it was the opposite. In fact, he is one of very few coaches with NT who tries to attack, which while it isn't snart thing to do, it is commandable.

International football is mostly about killing the game and snatching a goal from opponents mistakes, and fans hate that and deem every coach a bad one.
Fair enough. You make some decent arguments, but I have just never rated him at either club or international level. Could be a personal dislike clouding my judgement though as he just seems such a yes man.

Home of Barca Fans