La Liga Round 1: Valencia - Barca 1-2

Predicted outcome

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Yet to watch 1st half but from what I saw of the 2nd half it had its moments where it looked like Xavi’s side - the difference apart from the details of contributions from cantera players was the solidity of the team in that final half hour where we dropped most points last season

Of course, we didn’t start brightly either apparently which is very reminiscent of Xavi’s last season as well but to be confirmed when I watch the 1st half later today

Pros I noted:
  • La Masia - Casado & Bernal were exceptional even if they still made errors. A veteran needed to rotate even when Olmo is finally registered and Gavi is healthy but we have two great CMs in them with Bernal a pivot for the future. If some of you thought Bernal played badly I would counter that you don’t know how to assess youth players very well - his play was excellent. Casado had many bright moments under Rafa last season and I think he’s ready to be a contributor this year but you can see that despite all his positives like the typical youth player was unable to be as ruthlessly clinical as the exceptional Lamine
  • Cubarsi - a scapegoat of late here and I missed his goal line clearance but I love his moxy and passing as well as his defensive attributes.
  • Pau Victor with yet another convincing performance as a sub, terrific pressure and link up with Lewy - he is already a more reliable asset than Roque has ever shown so far and likely to fill a supporting role similar to what Guiu would’ve
  • Lamine - he is on an island as a catalyst, he must have a world class partner in attack

Cons I noted:
  • Midfield - this is heart & soul of Barca DNA/football but again we create so little from this area of pitch and the only time I saw us poised in tight scoring areas was when Lamine was playing in centrally or when Pedri was involved. Olmo, Gundo & Gavi’s absence palpable
  • Ferran got the abuse but LW, new season yet same critical need - the Nico saga has been a disaster. I remain on the fence with Torres and certainly against his boyhood club I expected more from him but I also don’t believe the LW is his best position. Unfortunately for him, he can forget the right with Raphinha and Lamine
  • Inigo - why does he continue at this club?
  • RB - Kounde was sound defensively but only rarely contributed in attack, this remains an area of weakness since creating scoring chances is falling to the forward players
  • LB - Balde left 25 minutes into 2nd half and was never a factor combining on that left side. Still waiting to see the best version much less healthy one of Alejandro. Still a question mark

Last edited:

PhilS

I hope to not see Garcia today, the Williams brothers are too quick. I'm also worried about whether Casado can contain them.

Home of Barca Fans