Let's talk about Xavi's replacement (2024)

Xavi replacement v3

• Total voters

Respekt_III

Anti-everything
You can never be a mediocre coach if you are the 2nd youngest coach ever to win the World Cup since the WC78 and already arguably the best coach Argentina has ever had.

Sure he's not perfect and there are times where I criticized him, but he has a style of play that fits modern football and he actually has the balls to drop underperforming players for young players.

International football is a joke so can't base how good he is or isnt especially compared to club football.

My preference is flavor of the month Xabi because of his style, adaptability, status and he's Spanish. Not ideal signing him with not much experience but would like something new.

Which ever manager we bring in if they don't perform then our next move should be moving for an elite coach like klopp if he decides to come back to management.

Preferred options:
Xabi
Flick
Michel

Content with:
De Zerbi
Gallardo
Motta
Arteta
Nagelsmann
Enrique

Absolute no:
Mourinho
Conte
Allegri
Tuchel
Marquez

soul24rage

International football is a joke so can't base how good he is or isnt especially compared to club football.

My preference is flavor of the month Xabi because of his style, adaptability, status and he's Spanish. Not ideal signing him with not much experience but would like something new.

Which ever manager we bring in if they don't perform then our next move should be moving for an elite coach like klopp if he decides to come back to management.

Preferred options:
Xabi
Flick
Michel

Content with:
De Zerbi
Gallardo
Motta
Arteta
Nagelsmann
Enrique

Absolute no:
Mourinho
Conte
Allegri
Tuchel
Marquez
Playing wise, club football is superior, but in terms of mental pressure, international football is superior. There's no higher pressure than performing for your country and Scaloni passed that with flying colors. Not to mention that he did well in scouting his opponents and making tactical changes (putting Di Maria on the LW vs Kounde for example).

Plus, same can be said of performing club football not translating to international football (Flick is a great example)

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Absolutely no thanks to Scaloni, mediocre coach at best.

Argentinia played crap for over 20 years, it's not a coincidence they started to play well and dominating the matches when Scaloni came. Already dominated Brazil in Copa 2019 but lost because of bad luck and that after having an absolutely crap WC tournament in 2018. He is the int. Arteta imo :hooray:

Andresito

Staff member
You can never be a mediocre coach if you are the 2nd youngest coach ever to win the World Cup since the WC78 and already arguably the best coach Argentina has ever had.

Sure he's not perfect and there are times where I criticized him, but he has a style of play that fits modern football and he actually has the balls to drop underperforming players for young players.
Argentinia played crap for over 20 years, it's not a coincidence they started to play well and dominating the matches when Scaloni came. Already dominated Brazil in Copa 2019 but lost because of bad luck and that after having an absolutely crap WC tournament in 2018. He is the int. Arteta imo :hooray:
Like others said international football is different from club football, especially when it comes to managers.

Scaloni managed to find a good core, make it cohesive and find a way to play that worked. I have serious doubts he'd overcome the difficulties that occur over the course of a season.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Think we will always have a risk regardless of the coach:

Motta - never coached a big team

Nagelsmann - flopped with Bayern and looks like he will flop with Germany too

Arteta - made Arsenal amazing but didnt win a big title yet

Flick - did very well at Bayern then flopped with Germany

De Zerbi - never coached a big team

----

The only 2 coaches who would be safe are Klopp and Pep

Last edited:

Raketa10

My preferred options:
Xabi Alonso
De Zerbi
Arteta (I don't think he is a realistic option this summer as he won't leave Arsenal)

If those 3 are unavailable than we should maybe consider Michel or Motta but only in case of emergency if none of the above three is available.

No way in hell:
Flick - in his entire life he had one good season as a manager. And he did that with superior Bayern. After that he flopped hard. We should stay away from him.
Marquez - serously WTF??? If he is a candidate than anyone can be.
Mourinho - he is finished and unmotivated
Conte - would not suit Barcelona. He plays only 3-5-2 and he is hard to deal with.
Alguacil - would be a new Valverde and now there is no Messi here to save his ass.
Scaloni - never coached anyone except Argentina NT and that's far different than coaching a team in a top 5 leagues. If he is a candidate than we can aso hire Southgate or Dalic. :lol:

I have not mentioned Klopp who would be a great solution but he is taking a year off. Furthermore, there is no way Enrique would come back and IMHO we should not go after him once again.

Last edited:

Fati_Future_BallonDor

My preferred options:
Xabi Alonso
De Zerbi
Arteta (I don't think he is a realistic option this summer as he won't leave Arsenal)

If those 3 are unavailable than we should maybe consider Michel or Motta but only in case of emergency if none of the above three is available.

No way in hell:
Flick - in his entire life he had one good season as a manager. And he did that with superior Bayern. After that he flopped hard. We should stay away from him.
Marquez - serously WTF??? If he is a candidate than anyone can be.
Mourinho - he is finished and unmotivated
Conte - would not suit Barcelona. He plays only 3-5-2 and he is hard to deal with.
Alguacil - would be a new Valverde and now there is no Messi here to save his ass.
Scaloni - never coached anyone except Argentina NT and that's far different than coaching a team in a top 5 leagues. If he is a candidate than we can aso hire Southgate or Dalic. :lol:

I have not mentioned Klopp who would be a great solution but he is taking a year off. Furthermore, there is no way Enrique would come back and IMHO we should not go after him once again.

Xabi Alonso will never come to Barca bro :lol:

Messi983

One name that wasn't mentioned but think we should consider is Ruben Amorim. Probably can't afford him though. No idea what his clause is but still under contract until 2026 and Sporting paid 10m for him in 2020. Only a matter of time when he'll go to a bigger club. Seen him linked to Liverpool now too.

Catalan media also says Conceicao is on our list. His contract with Porto is expiring so would be available. Good coach but don't really like his personality.

Messi983

He is a Basque so I am hoping that he is not Madrid bounded. However, you are probably right. :lol:

He'll either go to Liverpool or Bayern if they sack Tuchel (which might happen if Xabi will steal BL title away from them :lol:).

And if none of those clubs would go for him I think he'll just stay at Bayer for another season and potentially replace Ancelotti next year.

No way he'll ever seriously consider Barca though. Hope to be wrong as he would be one of my prefered candidates but just don't see it happen.

Nazario1985

Think we will always have a risk regardless of the coach:

Motta - never coached a big team

Nagelsmann - flopped with Bayern and looks like he will flop with Germany too

Arteta - made Arsenal amazing but didnt win a big title yet

Flick - did very well at Bayern then flopped with Germany

De Zerbi - never coached a big team

----

The only 2 coaches who would be safe are Klopp and Pep

I can't see how pep can succeed in this FCB, he either needs a huge bag of money every year or another golden generation and we have none of those.

De Zerbi as you said is very good for a team with no big expectations.

Motta please no.

JohnN

One though.
IF we can strike a deal with Klopp for the season after next, we could use our B team coach for the following one. He wouldn't have a problem getting the experience, already knows the club ( also good knowledge of B playera) amd wouldn't cost much.

soul24rage

Like others said international football is different from club football, especially when it comes to managers.

Scaloni managed to find a good core, make it cohesive and find a way to play that worked. I have serious doubts he'd overcome the difficulties that occur over the course of a season.
Saying that you have serious doubts that he'd overcome the difficulties over the course of a season is totally different than saying he is a mediocre coach. Even then, Scaloni already proven the basics (finding a way to play that works, dropping underperforming players, coming back from adversity, dealing with high pressure - this is something a lot of coaches like De Zerbi and others haven't faced so far)

Of course, there are other options that I prefer ahead of him, but Scaloni is a lot better than some of the names suggested by some so far.

soul24rage

Coaching a top 5 league is not a guarantee to succeed at Barca (Setien).

Even then, Scaloni is a lot more proven than when Guardiola and Rijkaard first started coaching Barca. Plus, he has traits that suit Barca as well.

After overcoming the Saudi defeat, you should have more faith in him

Xtroverto

The truth of the matter is FC Barcelona has turned into the most toxic and putrid rotten pile of horseshit in European club football. No manager no matter who he is or what he has done before, will survive beyond 2-3 seasons. The best course of action in my opinion is that the club bring in some absolute psycho that on the first day of presentation tell the club fans to go fuck themselves, that the club can burn in hell and that he will run his own show regardless of what media and fans say.

This club is so toxic now that the only way forward is that the club bring in an equally toxic manager that don't give a fuck what the "entorno" think or say. Someone from eastern Europe or Russian, maybe some dude that has spent the last 4 years in a trench and has lost all sanity, or send someone to Cuba to dig up Prigozhin from under whatever rock he is hiding. The dude is even decent in the kitchen, he can serve the players borscht and a good spanking whenever they have been naughty, especially against Real Madrid.

Now that I think about it, Jaume Creixell could have been the perfect answer, he never turns away from saying it as it is.

I si no tinc raó me la tallo i em faig monja!

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans