Let's talk about Xavi's replacement (2024)

Xavi replacement v3

• Total voters

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
You may not like it, but to land the elite ones you have to really show them how much you want them. If Klopp doesn't come next summer you can always pick some weaker manager like we would probably do this summer.

With a squad lacking leaders and with almost no world class players, and without the ability to sign actual top players... an elite manager is the only one who could win short term. Either that, or sign an unproven manager and give him time for a change, without moaning all the time.

Might as well hire Flick and if he doesn't convince you can fire him and hire Klopp.
Probably doesn't make sense money-wise for us which is the big issue/hindrance when it comes to hiring Klopp in the first place, but that would be a better solution than keeping Xavi who has proven he isn't the man for the further development of this team.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
As far as I'm concerned the only names on our list should be Nagelsmann, Motta, Flick, De Zerbi and Amorim.

serghei

As far as I'm concerned the only names on our list should be Nagelsmann, Motta, Flick, De Zerbi and Amorim.

I'm curious, what do you think will happen under any of those that is gonna be so different compared to Xavi's 2 seasons?

Not a single thing. In fact, it is very unlikely that the club is gonna match Xavi's 2022-23 season anytime soon. The 2022-23 season is an impressive achievement that the club and the fans didn't really value because of pure delusion.

Everyone dreams to beat the best sides in CL and claim big titles playing exuberant football. From wishing that, to making it happen on a budget is... a loooong journey.

Last edited:

Porque

I'm curious, what do you think will happen under any of those that is gonna be so different compared to Xavi's 2 seasons?

Not a single thing. In fact, it is very unlikely that the club is gonna match Xavi's 2022-23 season anytime soon. The 2022-23 season is an impressive achievement that the club and the fans didn't really value because of pure delusion.

Everyone dreams to beat the best sides in CL and claim big titles playing exuberant football. From wishing that, to making it happen on a budget is... a loooong journey.

Better in-game management and tactical adjustments.
Improved fitness and conditioning
Arguably more alignment with the SD in signing strategy.

That's what the club is looking for in going from a B manager to an A manager.

Now are any of those names it? I don't know. But Xavi has a proven track record of being underwhelming in knockout competitions. Let's see how it goes in the CL but it doesn't look like changing.

Xavi achieved a spectacular LaLiga season results wise last year even if what we conceded was lower than expectation. This year we are scoring less than expected- to balance it out. The football was dire and has been across the two and a half seasons bar some unsustained spurts.

Not much more to be said other than achieving what Xavi did last season will be much harder because

A) What Xavi achieved last season was funded with 230m worth of signings
B) Madrid next season will have Mbappe (+Bellingham who has exceeded immensely).

So apples and oranges.

KingLeo10

I do agree that budgets matter.

In the past, we had the funds to afford the best trolls in the world like Messigician, now we gotta settle for bums :lol:

serghei

A) What Xavi achieved last season was funded with 230m worth of signings
B) Madrid next season will have Mbappe (+Bellingham who has exceeded immensely).

So apples and oranges.

A) Posters here say the current squad is even better than last season. Unless a massive sale happens, the same squad is gonna be inherited by next guy.

B) In 2022-23, the club got 2.56 points / game vs non-Madrid opponents. This equals to a 92-93 point season even if the club loses both Madrid matches.

Even reaching 93 points / season is difficult as hell. Don't tell me Madrid getting Mbappe is gonna make all the other teams stronger too :lol:.

Please, don't tell me that after all the shit Xavi got, the next guy has to do even less than him. I thought the masterplan is to improve from Xavi's tenure, not settle for less.

ajnotkeith

A) Posters here say the current squad is even better than last season. Unless a massive sale happens, the same squad is gonna be inherited by next guy.

B) In 2022-23, the club got 2.56 points / game vs non-Madrid opponents. This equals to a 92-93 point season even if the club loses both Madrid matches.

Even reaching 93 points / season is difficult as hell. Don't tell me Madrid getting Mbappe is gonna make all the other teams stronger too :lol:.

Please, don't tell me that after all the shit Xavi got, the next guy has to do even less than him. I thought the masterplan is to improve from Xavi's tenure, not settle for less.
It isnt largely due to decisions made by the board and Xavi.

serghei

It isnt largely due to decisions made by the board and Xavi.

As said in the past. Claiming a league title is difficult, but a top manager can do it. It is simply something that needs to be matched. If it is not matched, we have a big problem.

All the talk about the style is nice, as long as titles are achieved. If the next guy gets big titles and the team plays better all should support him.

As said, it's perfectly acceptable to lose a league title on 95 pts vs a storming Madrid ending up on 97-98.

Porque

A) Posters here say the current squad is even better than last season. Unless a massive sale happens, the same squad is gonna be inherited by next guy

B) In 2022-23, the club got 2.56 points / game vs non-Madrid opponents. This equals to a 93 point season even if the club loses both Madrid matches.

The squad is good and talented but the challenge is different. And Madrid has improved by adding a top 2 striker in the world- while our 9 will be 36.

I'd say though that Xavi issue is majorly his over valuation of his managerial team.

I don't think his brother is the best choice for assistant manager.
This season our fitness is way lower than last season, while there has been another injury crisis. The latter you could put on the club needing to improve it's medical staff too.

I mean, we can do better with a better manager, but we can do worse. You get me.

But anyways, he would never do it, but if Xavi could sacrifice his brother for a greater tactition and improve the fitness/coaching then we could do worse than Xavi staying an extra season.

Xavi has setup correctly more times than he hasn't in the big games. The greater issue has been losing the tactical changes and reactions. A better assistant could solve that.

Then in terms of training, we can see that their are few team based ideas and methods on how we break down opponents.

But in terms of respect and authority, Xavi has it at this club to lead.

Home of Barca Fans