Lionel Messi - v7

jamrock

Yes. He should. Excluding Dembele here for me, though. Cause it makes no sense to just let him go, since there will surely be some real interest next summer, if we decide to sell him then, and if rumours are true, he's also gonna be on lower wages than he is now (if he'll extend before next summer on lower wages than he's on now), so that should only help raise the interest. Add to that list of players, also need to get rid of Pjanic and Braithwaite though. If no one else, even Manaj can do a better job than the Danish Nazario, while we have many options to cover for Pjanic leaving.

Contracts don't work like that.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Multiple outlets reporting we can't register our new signings till a significant amount is taken off the wage bill. I hope Laporta isn't lying and running away from the issue again bc if we fail to register any of our new signings he's finished..

I think Laporta already said during the presser that even without Messi, our wage bill is 95% of our revenue. We can't unilaterally terminate contracts, Laporta also said. So that means we will have to continue to press those high earners in the squad to cut their salaries, no excuses. Only by doing that will we ensure all the new signings are registered, I think.

Last edited:

xxxxxx

Obviously this is based on a few assumptions , but if what Laporta is saying is true regarding the fact that with Messi the wage bill/revenue would be 110% and 95% without him. Doesn't this mean for every 1% 3.3M gross has to be taken off salary books (And here is the big assumption) if the reports are true that Messi was going to earn 50M gross ? Meaning that if Barca wants to operate at a 70% wage bill/revenue Barca still has to shed another 80M gross.

This begs the question why Laporta was feeding Barca fans so many lies for the past 2 months while the situation was so dire.

It's easier to lie and give people false hope than be honest and give the people the harsh reality. At least if you lie and the truth comes out later, you can find ways to spin it in your favor.

i_bleed_blaugrana

If you supported Bartomeu or Rosell at any time over the last 8 years, go fuck yourself because it is fans like you that have dragged us into the mud.

Incredibly sad. We are well and truly finished.

ajnotkeith

I think Laporta already said during the presser that even without Messi, our wage bill is 95% of our revenue. We can unilaterally terminate contracts, Laporta also said. So that means we will have to continue to press those high earners in the squad to cut their salaries, no excuses. Only by doing that will we ensure all the new signings are registered, I think.

He said they will be registered and he doesn't think there will be a problem, but looking at our squad it doesn't seem like anyone is even close to going, not even Griezmann, so the only way which is really possible is mass terminations, and we have to deal with the huge expenses that will incur on FFP and to the club's debt.

Birdy

he stated in the conference that we can sign the 4 new players. as i've said, the plan was in motion from day one. the whole charade about agreeing with the messi camp was just a smoke screen.

Not at all...

Laporta was trying since March to find ways to manouver within the tight wage cup of LaLiga.
Until recently he thought it's possible to renew messi with 50% cut, if
1) All the "heavyweights" (sic) take a 50-60% paycut
AND
2) Griezman and Coutinho first and foremost, and secondarily Umtiti, Pjanic, Braithwate, are sold

He could not pull through either 1 or 2, and that's not his fault

xxxxxx

I think Laporta already said during the presser that even without Messi, our wage bill is 95% of our revenue. We can unilaterally terminate contracts, Laporta also said. So that means we will have to continue to press those high earners in the squad to cut their salaries, no excuses. Only by doing that will we ensure all the new signings are registered, I think.

Didn't he say that terminating contracts is risky and that they could lose in the courts in any case?

I honestly can't see certain players like Umtiti and Pjanic lying down and letting that happen. They'll want to get paid.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
What I didn't understand was "why now" when there is still almost a month left to renew Messi. But I guess Laporta and the club just couldn't figure out a way to get around the La Liga salary cap to register Messi, and they were not willing to accept the CVC deal to sign him, for what they believe is "mortgaging the future of the club" (I still don't quite understand the objections there but oh well).

Apparently the meeting yesterday with Jorge Messi was just the club informing him of the decision and outcome of not being able to sign him. Sigh.

I guess for Messi, it is better that the club came out now and broke the news to him, instead of dragging it until the end of the transfer window and tell him "Sorry, we can't register you" when there is no time left for Messi to negotiate with other clubs.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
He said they will be registered and he doesn't think there will be a problem, but looking at our squad it doesn't seem like anyone is even close to going, not even Griezmann, so the only way which is really possible is mass terminations, and we have to deal with the huge expenses that will incur on FFP and to the club's debt.

Mass terminations are not possible, he said we would have to go to courts and might have a lot of problems there.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Didn't he say that terminating contracts is risky and that they could lose in the courts in any case?

I honestly can't see certain players like Umtiti and Pjanic lying down and letting that happen. They'll want to get paid.

Sorry, missed the 't in my original message. I mean Laporta said we can't unilaterally terminate contracts, not surprising.

xxxxxx

What I didn't understand was "why now" when there is still almost a month left to renew Messi. But I guess Laporta and the club just couldn't figure out a way to get around the La Liga salary cap to register Messi, and they were not willing to accept the CVC deal to sign him, for what they believe is "mortgaging the future of the club" (I still don't quite understand the objections there but oh well).

Apparently the meeting yesterday with Jorge Messi was just the club informing him of the decision and outcome of not being able to sign him. Sigh.

I guess for Messi, it is better that the club came out now and broke the news to him, instead of dragging it until the end of the transfer window and tell him "Sorry, we can't register you" when there is no time left for Messi to negotiate with other clubs.

I think there was a deadline by Messi and his father for them to make up their minds. Also, I doubt that Laporta would want this to go on any longer. Imagine if he was stringing Messi along till the last second and he couldn't register him? That would have been the scummiest move of all time..... and that would have been worse than what Bartomeu has done. At least giving this news now gives Messi a chance to find a new club and register himself. It also gives them more time to sort other things out.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I don't see why terminating the likes of Roberto and Dembele would be an issue since they are both on a 1 year contract.

I don't know anything about sports law, does the remaining contract length make it easier or harder for a party to terminate contract? I really don't know.

Home of Barca Fans