Lionel Messi - v7

malvolio

I do not think we'll make top 4 without him. We essentially have 0 reliable scorers. I'd say 1 with Griezmann, but he is so hot and cold I wouldn't rely on him. With the negative press on him, I can definitely see him going on a massive drought next year.

most likely is this season, if it were to happen. by next season we should at least have a new manager.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I do not think we'll make top 4 without him. We essentially have 0 reliable scorers. I'd say 1 with Griezmann, but he is so hot and cold I wouldn't rely on him. With the negative press on him, I can definitely see him going on a massive drought next year.

I think we should do it as I don't see the other teams stepping up as teams are getting gutted this summer, but I won't be shocked if we're under danger.

You never know how the team will respond. Although given how mentally weak some of our players seem to be I can definitely see a scenario where they crumble.

BBZ8800

Yeah, his 40 goals a season were definitely a non-factor in our 2018, 2019 La Liga titles. Definitely a non factor in us qualifying for the UCL in the past two years. He is so redundant.

Your "unpopular opinion" is unpopular because it's shit.

Unpopular opinion, but we played under a coach who figured out how to win in La Liga.
He couldn't lose against RM or Atletico no matter what he did.

On the other hand, we have Koeman, who can't win against anyone from top6 no matter what Messi or anyone do.

I mean, we lost 2 La Ligas in a row.
We were truly horrible last season.
Next season starts in a few days, Messi hasn't started to train and he'll miss some games and he'll need some time to return to form.
Fati is injured, Cou and Dembele also.
Pedri is on a verge of collapsing.

So, basically we will start a season with Depay-Griezmann and hope that old Busi-drained Pedri will do the magic.
While the defense and a GK are beyond horrible.

And when you sum those La Liga trends from the last 2 years (we were crap) paired with Messi missing in the first few rounds, no wingers/attackers, Pedri drained, defense horrible, do you think that our La Liga chances are high?
And that is THAT worth to re-sign Messi aged 34-35 for a season which looks almost lost even before a start?
And with keeping Messi, both Messi won't win titles and Barca won't turn the page and start from the scracth.
And as long as Messi is here, we won't be able to push Busi, Alba, Pique and Roberto out.
We need to start somewhere.

Last edited:

Gari

It looks like Laporte was underestimated and he started renewing. No one in the world could predict last summer that Chelsea will win the Champions League.

Daemul

previously known as Jonathan28
The thing with all these players such as Griez, Coutinho, Dembele etc. is that they're actually not bad players, if they played at the level they are capable of we would actually be fine and be able to compete in the league and CL, the issue is that they are massively underperforming like quite a few others at the club. People have said that Messi's presence has hindered them, and now we're about to find out how true that is.
If they become world beaters again then I'll be the happiest man alive.

Last edited:

Windhook

You never know how the team will respond. Although given how mentally weak some of our players seem to be I can definitely see a scenario where they crumble.

I'm optimistic about it. When Guardiola took charge Deco and Ronaldinho left the club and it felt like suicide. Now it's hard times but the club can finally rebuild without the pressure of CL and La Liga trophy. Probably looking at few years ahead.

Also I see this forum get clean from all the glory hunters, some of them left after 2-8, now with Messi it would be complete.

malvolio

The thing with all these players such as Griez, Coutinho, Dembele etc. is that they're actually not bad players, if they played at the level they are capable of we would actually be fine and be able to compete in the league and CL, the issue is that they are massively underperforming like quite a few others at the club. People have said that Messi's presence has hindered them, and now we're about to find out how true that is.
If they become world beaters again then I'll be the happiest man alive.

griezmann - overrated his whole career and not your usual no 10 who makes thing tick. benefited from having a defensive setup/managers. found out at barca were you have to take the initiative in every game.

dembele - we were wrong about him, pure and simple. injury prone and kind of stupid.

coutinho - had a mediocre career until klopp got the best out of him, even though liverpool never won anything in that period. was found out at barca and bayern.

so as you can see, those players will never be what you imagine they were. also, 2 of them are nearing the end of their career and the other is leaving on a free in january.

iniestaGOAT

griezmann - overrated his whole career and not your usual no 10 who makes thing tick. benefited from having a defensive setup/managers. found out at barca were you have to take the initiative in every game.

dembele - we were wrong about him, pure and simple. injury prone and kind of stupid.

coutinho - had a mediocre career until klopp got the best out of him, even though liverpool never won anything in that period. was found out at barca and bayern.

so as you can see, those players will never be what you imagine they were. also, 2 of them are nearing the end of their career and the other is leaving on a free in january.

These players, who fans still have hope for, along with Ter stegen should be the one we get rid of immediately. ( not counting role players like lenglet, umtiti, pjanic etc)

The ones who can carry us forward and we can hope they turn out to be somthing are guys like de jong, pedri, fati and maybe even araujo and gavi

Hardy

Pep Guardiola on Lionel Messi to #ManCity: "We spent ?40M on Jack Grealish. We paid ?100M and brought ?60M. He will wear the No.10 because we were convinced with Grealish and we were were convinced Leo would continue at Barcelona, so now, he's not in our thoughts."

Home of Barca Fans