Lionel Messi - v7

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I think there was a deadline by Messi and his father for them to make up their minds. Also, I doubt that Laporta would want this to go on any longer. Imagine if he was stringing Messi along till the last second and he couldn't register him? That would have been the scummiest move of all time..... and that would have been worse than what Bartomeu has done. At least giving this news now gives Messi a chance to find a new club and register himself. It also gives them more time to sort other things out.

Yes, exactly what I was saying. It would be a scandal if we hold Messi hostage until the last second and leave him contract-less in Europe without having a place to play for the next season.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Not going to pretend I'm an expert on the matter , but surely paying out there contract and telling them leave would be legal ?

What is the point of paying out the contract and let them leave though? Does that (money used to pay out contracts) not count toward the total wage bill confined by the salary cap? Unless that's the case, to me it makes no sense to pay out one's contract and let them go.

xxxxxx

I don't know anything about sports law, does the remaining contract length make it easier or harder for a party to terminate contract? I really don't know.

Depends on how much they're on. Say if they're on 200k a week with 1 year left, you're probably looking to pay out 10m..... unless you can come to a mutual agreement on a lower payment. I suspect that Laporta looked into that and possibly asked certain players if they would do that.... I guess they said no, which is not surprising.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Hasn't Laporta been saying that they have the money but the wage cap restrictions is what's screwing them over. Surely that means they can use the money to terminate contracts in order to decrease the wage bill.

Could be, I don't know. Too many unknowns. Perhaps the players are not willing to take it for whatever reason (pride etc.), or we truly don't have excessive cash lying around to do that etc.

ajnotkeith

Hasn't Laporta been saying that they have the money but the wage cap restrictions is what's screwing them over. Surely that means they can use the money to terminate contracts in order to decrease the wage bill.

Pretty sure it counts as expenditure under FFP anyway and it's a huge struggle to terminate contracts without the player's agreement so it might not be a viable option

ajnotkeith

I imagine he was verbally promised Messi would stay whilst he was a free agent as he mentioned it was a very key reason for his arrival. I don't blame him for wanting to leave considering he moved country for it..

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Busquets' wife with a goodbye message to Antonella on IG.

E8HWdluXEAETklw

Get ready to leave the forum dawg [MENTION=23192]Messigician[/MENTION]

Home of Barca Fans