Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi V2

neo_wolf

I feel he should play for free if he truly loves Barca and wants to return. He already has enough money for 10 lifetimes so greed shouldnt be a factor.

Given our financial problems which is pattially to us blowing his wages up every time and therefore other players as well. He milked this club enough and we are going in a different phase. Signing Messi at 36 on high wages despite who is and what he has done is goong backwards.

If however he signs fot free and plays out of love for the sport and the club/city then its all good and he can join for 2 more years.

He cant play for free even if he wanted to, its against the law. The most he can do is play for the veteran wage league minimum.

Anyway, i think it would be great for him to return for 1 final season at barca and end his career here proper, he would make the team stronger, anyone who says otherwise is an idiot.
We have a great squad this season and got humiliated in europe, he have done nothing in europe since Messi left.

Alik

I'd love to see him back.

Whether we would be better off, results-wise or financially, remains to be seen. I think it's difficult to predict as there are too many variables.

However, I think it's safe to say he would make our matches more entertaining.

serghei

I'd love to see him back.

Whether we would be better off, results-wise or financially, remains to be seen. I think it's difficult to predict as there are too many variables.

However, I think it's safe to say he would make our matches more entertaining.

He can take on an Alves like salary if he wants to. 155k a season or what it was. For one season contract. If he wants to he can return. If he wants a lot of money we should pass without a doubt.

Rory

Silly numbers flying around, play for free or for some (relatively) tiny amount? Why? Sure it'd be stupid to pay him anything more than 25m/30m for a season. If he rejoined he'd likely be the top scorer or assist provider, if not both. Currently our top scorer has cost us around 40m this season once you amortise the stupidly long contract we gave 34 year old Lewa. Top assist providers cost us roughly 65m + salary and 130m + salary. But Messi should play for free or some insignificant amount.

Respekt_III

Anti-everything
Silly numbers flying around, play for free or for some (relatively) tiny amount? Why? Sure it'd be stupid to pay him anything more than 25m/30m for a season. If he rejoined he'd likely be the top scorer or assist provider, if not both. Currently our top scorer has cost us around 40m this season once you amortise the stupidly long contract we gave 34 year old Lewa. Top assist providers cost us roughly 65m + salary and 130m + salary. But Messi should play for free or some insignificant amount.

25m are you fuxking crazy? We can't even register gavis contract ffs
10m gross should be the Max we offer.
Lewys salary and transfer fee was stupid and anyone rational said the same at the time, but make. No mistake his goals have contributed to us winning the league

Last edited:

Rory

25m are you fuxking crazy? We can't even register gavis contract ffs
10m gross should be the Max we offer.
Lewys salary and transfer fee was stupid and anyone rational said the same at the time, but make. No mistake his goals have contributed to us winning the league

huh? Who's talking about signing Messi instead of taking care of important things like registering Gavi? This is all about some hypothetical situation where we do have the money and for some reason the club do want to bring him back. Obviously if we can't afford to do something then we shouldn't do it but doesn't really need saying does it.

Sure Lewandowski's goals have helped us in the league, his misses/ghosting has also contributed to exiting europe early in 2 competitions. Then even if you forget Lewandowski the other 2 players mentioned have cost us a lot of money for not much return.

Givenchy

Please don't come back. Give him his farewell game with Ronaldinho, Ag?ero, Fabregas and Suarez and let him go to Argentina.

Agree

As seen this season, we don't need Messi to win the league and he sure as hell isn't going to help our CL progression, it's purely sentimental, something which is holding our club back for a long time now. We aren't running a retirement home and Lewa himself will be another year older next season.. I have no doubt Messi loves Barca and vice versa but be realistic, no player is going to play for free and I doubt Leo accepts a Dani Alves style contract.

jairzinho

There's some legit concerns about what he would do on the pitch, but he would certainly be a boost in terms of marketing, merchandising, commercial deals etc. Question is by how much?

CatalinR10

he would certainly be a boost in terms of marketing, merchandising, commercial deals etc. Question is by how much?

1-billion-dollars-5b063b.jpg

Morten

There's some legit concerns about what he would do on the pitch, but he would certainly be a boost in terms of marketing, merchandising, commercial deals etc. Question is by how much?

Perhaps, but Barca were also supposed to lose 40% or something of their revenues when Messi left, which did not happen, and while Barca's revenues took a hit in the first season without him, last season it bounced back actually.

Horatio

You're welcome
Perhaps, but Barca were also supposed to lose 40% or something of their revenues when Messi left, which did not happen, and while Barca's revenues took a hit in the first season without him, last season it bounced back actually.

Morten the veiled cule.

Rory

Isn't that due to lever pulling though?

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
The real (without levers) revenue bounced back because of the lessening impact of COVID, more than anything else.

We already have more people coming to Camp Nou this season than in the past (even when Messi was here) that I can remember, Messi coming back will generate us what financially? A few more tourists (wouldn't matter, as Montjuic's capacity is only 55,000, I think) and a few hundred thousands of jerseys sold and perhaps a few more sponsors? Doubt it is going to make an impact.

If he comes back, it is for nothing but sentimental value and Laporta caving into some popular fan sentiment. Sporting, financial-wise, all makes little sense.

Rory

The real (without levers) revenue bounced back because of the lessening impact of COVID, more than anything else.

We already have more people coming to Camp Nou this season than in the past (even when Messi was here) that I can remember, Messi coming back will generate us what financially? A few more tourists (wouldn't matter, as Montjuic's capacity is only 55,000, I think) and a few hundred thousands of jerseys sold and perhaps a few more sponsors? Doubt it is going to make an impact.

If he comes back, it is for nothing but sentimental value and Laporta caving into some popular fan sentiment. Sporting, financial-wise, all makes little sense.

Depends on what sort of deal he would be brought back on. If the club had a portion of image rights then we'd make a decent amount of money from him. Stadium is more full now probably due to winning la liga after a couple years of crap squads, had to make some very good free signings and some very expensive signings for that to happen though.

Forgetting the question of whether he should be brought back or not I'm surprised people think that having the joint most famous footballer in the world in the club isn't likely to lead to some financial gain.

Home of Barca Fans