Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi V2

Andresito

Staff member
He asked to be subbed in the 89th. Not sure if he felt something or just tired, but he has been playing a lot of minutes lately.

Messigician

He asked to be subbed in the 89th. Not sure if he felt something or just tired, but he has been playing a lot of minutes lately.
❗️Leo Messi: “I came out because I was a bit tired. It's probably not the last time that will happen [come out during the last minutes of the game]. It’s all good, I’m fine.”

Temptation

Are we gonna rate him higher than Beckham as a Free Kick Taker now?

Beckham had more range, variety, better delivery from set plays. His catalogue of Free Kick goals are more varied, tougher and impressive.

But Messi will surpass him in Free Kick goals.

On what basis do we rate Free Kick takers?

For me, from what I have seen, it goes:

Number 1: Juninho
Number 2: Beckham

Then the rest.

Messigician

Beckham had more range, variety, better delivery from set plays. His catalogue of Free Kick goals are more varied, tougher and impressive.

Then the rest.
Now let's see free kicks taken vs scored

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Then the rest.
Good question, there are also Pirlo and Sinisa Mihajlovic.

Xtroverto

Messi keeps moving up the list, one more goal and he is 3rd on the list, I'm pretty sure he will catch Pele.

Free kick goals

77 goals: Juninho Pernambucano
70 goals: Pele
66 goals: Victor Legrotaglie
66 goals: Ronaldinho Gaucho
65 goals: Lionel Messi
65 goals: David Beckham
62 goals: Diego Armando Maradona
62 goals: Zico
60 goals: Cristiano Ronaldo
60 goals: Ronald Koeman
59 goals: Rogerio Ceni
59 goals: Marcelinho Carioca
57 goals: Kostas Frantzeskos
53 goals: Alessandro Del Piero
50 goals: Sinisa Mihajlovic
47 goals: Andrea Pirlo

KingLeo10

If he wins another Copa, you can make a solid argument for him having the outright greatest NT career of all time (right now he's like top 3/4). He's already the best at club level.

Pele won 2 WCs (3 on paper but he didn't play in 1962).
Maradona went to 2 WC finals and won 1.
Beckenbauer went to 2 WC finals, won 1, and also won a Euro.
Messi would have 2 WC finals, 1 WC trophy, 2 Copas (and like 3 other Copa finals).

Xtroverto

Then the rest.

You would have to look at many different contexts, such as final scoreline of the game, what type of competition, is it a group stage match or a knockout match and if it is a winning goal in a final? Pele for example scored a lot of free kick goals in the state league where Santos won with huge scorelines, IMO utterly pointless for the outcome of the league. Messi also scored several free kick goals in league games where they made no difference for the outcome of the game.

In this context Juninho probably scored more decisive goals for Lyon in the French league than any other player in any other league, since he left they have failed to win the league again and a big reason for that is his decisive goals. PSG obviously is another big reason, but I seriously doubt there are any other players who's free kick goals have had a bigger impact on a clubs fortunes in a domestic league.

Basically you would have to go over every free kick goal for the players you want to rank and then rate every goal based on how important it was and give it a score, IE a free kick goal in a 5-0 thrashing would be worth a score of 1 and a winning goal in cup final would be worth a score of 10.

Gnidrologist

The skill level of his free kicks is enormous. It doesn't matter what kind of "style" he employs. The efficiency is there.
The point of how clutch/important, how good his percentage is or how, in the end, many he scores, for me seems a bit immaterial at this point.
The very fact that he is not only the best dribbler, best scorer, best assister, best playmaker and the best overall technician the world has ever seen in the same package, while also at least rubbing shoulders with the the top5 best freekick takers in the history and arguing who is the best, like it's important at this stage, is just petty hair splitting.

Btw, watched the highlights of Ecuador match and he seemed to be in the center of almost every Arg attack again. The old man delivers.

vegitot

If he wins another Copa, you can make a solid argument for him having the outright greatest NT career of all time (right now he's like top 3/4). He's already the best at club level.

Pele won 2 WCs (3 on paper but he didn't play in 1962).
Maradona went to 2 WC finals and won 1.
Beckenbauer went to 2 WC finals, won 1, and also won a Euro.
Messi would have 2 WC finals, 1 WC trophy, 2 Copas (and like 3 other Copa finals).
He already is the best at International level. 4 best player awards in major tournaments (2 World Cup, 2 Copa), that's more than anyone in history of the game.

vegitot

The skill level of his free kicks is enormous. It doesn't matter what kind of "style" he employs. The efficiency is there.
The point of how clutch/important, how good his percentage is or how, in the end, many he scores, for me seems a bit immaterial at this point.
The very fact that he is not only the best dribbler, best scorer, best assister, best playmaker and the best overall technician the world has ever seen in the same package, while also at least rubbing shoulders with the the top5 best freekick takers in the history and arguing who is the best, like it's important at this stage, is just petty hair splitting.

Btw, watched the highlights of Ecuador match and he seemed to be in the center of almost every Arg attack again. The old man delivers.
Crazy to think that Messi never trained his free kick.

Home of Barca Fans