Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi V2

Devils

That fat, greasy Catalan Laporta actually thought Messi would take 5m/year to play with Ferran Torres and Eric Garcia.

Birdy

Siuuu that he is not coming, as he would have derailed our rebuilt.
Memorial match is enough.

The question is whether we will be able to bring any serious number 8 other than Gundogan.
I doubt it.
I see Ansu Ferran Raphinia AND Kessie ALL not wanting to go.
We will be with the same team next season plus Inigo and Gundo, and that's about it

fergus90

Said it before but I think he was going to extend a year with PSG until the fans basically let it be known they didn’t want him and then retire from football to play soccer in 2024.

Basically he’s just had to accelerate his plans a year early.

Messi was never set on returning and the current board were doing the bare minimum in exploring the deal just to appease the Barca fans because of his status with the club.

Once you remove the romantic elements, it’s best for both parties that he doesn’t come back. The only bitter thing about it was he never got his final game in a packed Camp Nou.

El Gato

Villarato!
Has nothing to do with affordability. Depending on the salary agreed upon, Barça might or might not be able to afford it (if it is 13m net as reported, we certainly can), it is about whether or not we have the salary room to accommodate his salary under "financial fairplay".

American sports teams have loads of money, not surprising.
Ergo, you either can afford him, or can't as don't meet FFP as broke in other ways

Leong157

Said it before but I think he was going to extend a year with PSG until the fans basically let it be known they didn’t want him and then retire from football to play soccer in 2024.

Basically he’s just had to accelerate his plans a year early.

Messi was never set on returning and the current board were doing the bare minimum in exploring the deal just to appease the Barca fans because of his status with the club.

Once you remove the romantic elements, it’s best for both parties that he doesn’t come back. The only bitter thing about it was he never got his final game in a packed Camp Nou.
Exatly this. Miami was in his plan all along.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Ergo, you either can afford him, or can't as don't meet FFP as broke in other ways

Nah, you can have all the money in the world but still can't do things due to FFP. Not saying it is our case, just saying they are two different things.

ajnotkeith

Laporta never wanted him back anyway, this return has pretty much been pushed just to appease the fans and by Xavi, because he already chose to let him go before. We then sold significant assets to fund a big transfer window without Messi.

The truth is this deal made no sense for any party. Messi doesn't get the big money he loves so much, he might tar his legacy if he makes Barca worse, we have to spend so much money to pay him when we have other big holes, it doesn't fit with our rebuilding plans, etc.

suckabov

Lemon curry?
Was ambivalent about him returning, but the way both parties dealt with this saga feels like a stupid media campaign, which no one needed and the fans did not deserve.

Messigician

.@javigiorgetti: "I would understand if Messi didn't trust Barça if we were in August, because of what happened two years ago, but it's only June. Lewy waited a long time, Koundé didn't play for 3 games. Don't understand the rush. It hurts, but I wish him all the best at Miami."

Home of Barca Fans