Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hardy

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">�� Scaloni: ?Messi should have a place in the next World Cup. If he wants to continue playing, the '10' will always be his.?</p>? All About Argentina ������ (@AlbicelesteTalk) <a href="https://twitter.com/AlbicelesteTalk/status/1604575042062499840?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 18, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

let's hope Messi plays at next world cup :messi:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
How mental do you have to be to accuse everyone for being Messi fanboys when you're one of the biggest fanboys on this forum, but for a guy like Dembele instead.

Birdy

How mental do you have to be to accuse everyone for being Messi fanboys when you're one of the biggest fanboys on this forum, but for a guy like Dembele instead.

I am not accusing everyone, only the fanboys

No problem defending someone who 90% of this brainless forum bashes day in day out for no apparent reason

KingLeo10

SportingCP96 said:
Messi would never win a euro with Portugal that’s the difference. Ronaldo in argentina would have multiple.

levels.

CR7 fanboys on United still at it.

:lol: CR7 didn't even play in that final. Lmao.

Devils

FkSPU8mXEAAkuO7

:wow:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I am not accusing everyone, only the fanboys

No problem defending someone who 90% of this brainless forum bashes day in day out for no apparent reason

Just take the L and move on dude. Here's something to remind you of your massive L.

FkSBCikWIAMB85v

bismp

Yeah but the World Cup always had the biggest effect on the ballon d'or winner, sometimes players won just because winning the world cup but were not the best players in the club level or won much.

True,to an extent.

First of all, as I mentioned, the next Ballon will be awarded in 11 months. It is a long time. If Messi plays average, the feat will be forgotten/lessened. If the voting was now, Messi would probably sweep the award.

Secondly, when was the last time a WC champion won the Ballon or was close to winning one?

2018 was Modric because of the combined success of Real and Croatia.

2014 was CR7, as there was no standout performer in Germany.

2010 was similarly Messi.

So last time was 2006 with Cannavaro.

The thing is, football and the awards have changed (and Messi and Ronaldo have profited from it). Nowadays football is more star/celebrity-centric. To win the Ballon you have to play great all year long, have great stats and have magical, crucial moments in the WC/CL. And in the meantime your opponents have to have a worse case than you. The only way a non-superstar player can win the Balon is if no other player has a great case.

So for Messi to win the 8th (and to reiterate: I really doubt he gives a damn and in any case 7 awards is untouchable) he will have to consistently be among the 3-5 best players in the world aged 36, which means that he?ll have to reach at least the CL semis and no one other (be it Mbappe or Haaland) has a fantastically great season scoring 50 goals completely outshining Leo.

Last edited:

Temptation

SportingCP96 said:
Messi would never win a euro with Portugal that?s the difference. Ronaldo in argentina would have multiple.

levels.

CR7 fanboys on United still at it.

:lol: CR7 didn't even play in that final. Lmao.

Overall CR7 doesn't have a better CV anymore. Till 2020 that was arguably the case with the numerous leagues, Euro trophy and impact in CL knockouts.

In general throughout their careers I'd rate Portugal as the weaker NT though. And we all know Euros are less frequent and filled with tougher teams.

I believe winning a Euro with Portugal is a much bigger achievement than winning a Copa with Argentina due to all these factors.

Feel free to retaliate on this.

Birdy

Dude

Read the room

Why? Because I am one of the guys that goes with the flow like most here?
Nah thanks
Fanboys will ALWAYS be stupid, and I will always be here to remind them how stupid they are

PS: Look up how many of the fanboys here wrote after the Saudi game 'Messi is finished'
That is all you need to know about their level

Last edited:

El Gato

Villarato!
Why? Because I am one of the guys that goes with the flow like most here?
Nah thanks
Fanboys will ALWAYS be stupid, and I will always be here to remind them how stupid they are

PS: Look up how many of the fanboys here wrote after the Saudi game 'Messi is finished'
That is all you need to know about their level

"Im just doing gods work pointing out hypocrites"

we all know
unfortunately crusade failed for you my man

KingLeo10

Don't care who gets the Ballon D'Or to be honest. It should be awarded to the best performer of the whole year.

Messi had an amazing WC (the best in history for a 35 year old, by far), and Mbappe was also really amazing (second best by a slim margin overall). Whoever performs better in the CL should get the award.

But again...with the World Cup in our bag, an extra Ballon D'Or or not doesn't matter :lol:

bismp

Overall CR7 doesn't have a better CV anymore. Till 2020 that was arguably the case with the numerous leagues, Euro trophy and impact in CL knockouts.

In general throughout their careers I'd rate Portugal as the weaker NT though. And we all know Euros are less frequent and filled with tougher teams.

I believe winning a Euro with Portugal is a much bigger achievement than winning a Copa with Argentina due to all these factors.

Feel free to retaliate on this.

Winning the 2016 Euro was a great achievement (despite not even playing in the final), but you can‘t be considered in the Pantheon(let alone the GOAT) with this WC career. We all agree that Portugal is no juggernaut, but they were good enough to win the Euros, weren‘t they. They were good enough to reach the semis with a young CR. Failing to even reach the QF and to even score a KO goal, is indeed a massive disappointment. You would expect that a player of his status would at least reach the semis once or twice in his prime. Portugal are no Feroe Islands. Look at Croatia and Modric for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans