Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

jairzinho

Mate, you are replying to a post arguing that Otamendi was in the WC 10 or more times better than what he has been recently,
and your conclusion is that Messi carried him on his back

Mindfuck :facepalm:

The fact that he did it with a 34 yo past it Otamendi makes it even more special. That's what i meant. And yes, credit to Otamendi he was sublime in this WC. But more importantly Messi led the team in goals and assists. So yes he carried the team, In a literal and figurative sense as well emotionally too.

KingLeo10

Teammates carried a guy who scored or assisted 10 of Argentina's 16 goals this tournament.

What the fuck is this :lol:

Teammates played their part exceptionally well, but Messi was by a mile the best Argentina player and the leader of this team.

jamrock

Fact that Otamendi played well, but at the end of the day was the reason France got any momentum so it got that close in the end, is Otamendi in a nutshell, he's a good defender, but eventually he will fuck something up.

jairzinho

That's unfair to the rest of his team. Who do you think won all of those penalties that he scored from this tournament? It was his teammates, who ran and fought and defended too for him to produce offense. A team effort. The heroics of Dibu too in the shootouts...

The victory is of their group as well and they did just as much.

It's not an unfair assessment to suggest Messi carried this team when he was was without a doubt their best player and doesn't diminish the other players in any way.

Pedro

La Masia
This could’ve been Leo’s 2nd World Cup win if it wasn’t for the likes of Higuain in 2014. Anyway Leo can easily play at Copa America 2024, he’ll be 37 and even 2026 World Cup at 39.

KingLeo10

Find me a footballer with more achievements. You can't. :messi:

FkRjfyiVUAEZo9S

Hardy

the fact he won world cup and copa america after all his previous devastating defeats is even more impressive, it was written in the stars guys, no way that shit yesterday happened for case. I think it's one of the most beautiful storyline in sport, the definition of redemption, and he did that with a good squad, not exactly a team of all time greats.

Andresito

Staff member
Will be interesting to see Argentina in 2026. Most of the current squad will be there, bar Otamendi, Messi and Di Maria. If they have a bad tournament, it'll only add to Messi's 2022 win.

KingLeo10

the fact he won world cup and copa america after all his previous devastating defeats is even more impressive, it was written in the stars guys, no way that shit yesterday happened for case. I think it's one of the most beautiful storyline in sport, the definition of redemption, and he did that with a good squad, not exactly a team of all time greats.

Also, beating one of the most stacked (talent wise) national football teams ever assembled.

France could sub half or more of their starters and not lose much quality.

Argentina dominated the game mostly too, aside from a few spells of nervousness. Double the shots, double the shots on goal etc etc.

One of the greatest leadership jobs to pull this off, considering he was far, far from his physical prime.

KingLeo10

He can play retired from now on and no one would blame him...but can we get one more destruction of Bayern Munich please :lol:

PSG should drop Neymar and play with Messi - Mbappe duo. Enough attacking power there and less workrate issues. Plus, Neymar slows down the speed of play immensely with his useless tricks.

jamrock

Those couple of month he took off since being at psg has really paid dividends, when some said he was phoning it in for psg to save himself for the WC they doubted us.

He's gonna go all in to win the CL & after that if I were PSG I'd let him go, he's gonna just start chilling again, lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans