Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hardy

siuuuuuuu

messi.JPG

raskolnikov

Yes, and if we actually go back and see some of the games.. their performances (except for moments) are in a different league to what Messi did through the tournament for the whole games. Their is little comparison. Rivaldo for example had a shot on goal turned to goal from a bad save in the final and was really bad the rest of the game. As was Ronaldinho. Ronaldo had terrible misses the whole tournament. We tend to romanticize past glories.
Yes, and people forget how good players from the losing side were.
Oliver Kahn for Germany in 2002.

I always felt Zidane znd Ronaldo got too hyped for 98 as well.
Zidane got red carded early and only stepped up in the final.
Ronaldo beforehand was talking about breaking all kind of goal records (12 from Pele) but was underwhelming in the group stage with 1 goal, scored a penaldo and another goal vs Chile.
Vs Denmark it was Rivaldo's match.
Semi's he had a good goal vs the Dutch and they needed penalties.
and we all know what happened in the final.

To me Suker and Bergkamp were better than Zizou and R9 in 98.
Ronaldo redeemed himself in 2002 and I was happy for him.
Zidane was way better in Euro 2000 as well.

Roberto Baggio had a performance similair to Messi in this world cup in 94 but people only remember him skying that penalty.

Do people remember goycochea nowadays as the Martinez of that world cup in 1990? Dont think so.

Spain won the world cup in the most minimalistic way possible but people will think Iniesta had a better tournament than Sneijder cause of the goal.

This world cup griezmann was arguably the best player along with Messi till the final but history will forget about that since he was absent, they lost and mbappe scored a hattrick.

Last edited:

raskolnikov

Also had Thierry Henry not been robbed of a ballon d'or he would have deservingly made that list.

But even then it wouldnt be similair to what Messi did.
Messi been crucial in cl and world cup in whole compaigns. Few can claim that.

Pedro

La Masia
Yes, and people forget how good players from the losing side were.
Oliver Kahn for Germany in 2002.

I always felt Zidane znd Ronaldo got too hyped for 98 as well.
Zidane got red carded early and only stepped up in the final.
Ronaldo beforehand was talking about breaking all kind of goal records (12 from Pele) but was underwhelming in the group stage with 1 goal, scored a penaldo and another goal vs Chile.
Vs Denmark it was Rivaldo's match.
Semi's he had a good goal vs the Dutch and they needed penalties.
and we all know what happened in the final.

To me Suker and Bergkamp were better than Zizou and R9 in 98.
Ronaldo redeemed himself in 2002 and I was happy for him.
Zidane was way better in Euro 2000 as well.

Roberto Baggio had a performance similair to Messi in this world cup in 94 but people only remember him skying that penalty.

Do people remember goycochea nowadays as the Martinez of that world cup in 1990? Dont think so.

Spain won the world cup in the most minimalistic way possible but people will think Iniesta had a better tournament than Sneijder cause of the goal.

This world cup griezmann was arguably the best player along with Messi till the final but history will forget about that since he was absent, they lost and mbappe scored a hattrick.

Ronaldo was phenomenal in 98' WC. It's not all about goals, his performances were brilliant, like 1st game vs. Scotland he tormented them even though he didn't score. No way was Suker and Bergkamp better than Zizou and R9 in 98 lol.

CatalinR10

Casually coming home , checking flashscore to see that PSG are losing 3-1 ?

LMAOOOOOOO

Good job losing an unbeaten season without the Goat.

35 yo , still having teams dependant on him even in farming leagues.

SMH.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Ronaldo was phenomenal in 98' WC. It's not all about goals, his performances were brilliant, like 1st game vs. Scotland he tormented them even though he didn't score. No way was Suker and Bergkamp better than Zizou and R9 in 98 lol.

Not better than R9 for sure, but Zidane was almost dropped from the XI for the final because he had been ass most of the World Cup. Obviously good thing France didn't drop him as he pulled off a MOTM performance in the final.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans