Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newcomer

Not to diss your club or anything but best case scenario, it's gonna take probably more than a decade for PSG to genuinely grow a fanbase that truly supports the club (irrespective of its players).

Look at Barca for instance, even if all the signings were absolute bunkers, they wouldn't lose that many fans. Why? well cuz it's Barca! and all the history, glories and tribulations - it's like a tatoo.

whereas for PSG, and no disrespect, right now all of the guys I know who watch the matches and myself included, we're basically cheering some of our fav players ney + messi + hakimi etc.

so as soon as they leave, probably so will a lot of the folks watching (except if you replace them with other cool players!).

So from this vantage point, you haven't really increased your intrinsic real fans, you just got more followers due to your signings (if it makes sense) :thinking:

Don't worry, we are happy about our fanbase. We only want it to grow for the club to be richer but as fans, we are fine.

khaled_a_d

Why would Middle Eastern fans support PSG ahead of Man City for example?

UAE, Saudi and Qatar are not on political terms for example.

You have a country like Egypt, who basically supported Chelsea for Salah, and then Liverpool when he went there.
No one cares that much about Villa because of Sawiris , but if Trezeguet plays people will tune in.

People cares about players, not ownership.
In fact, people complains a lot about the way bein tries to force PSG on fans

CatalinR10

After PSG leading 3-0 , the game has turned around being 3-2 as we speak , making the end of the game be really tight.

Ligue 1 surprises us even more and proves it's the most difficult and competitive league where everything can happen.

Wow.

serghei

Maybe Qatar, but they are very small country.
Most Arab fans (at least from Libya all the way East) doesn't care that much. It is mostly Liga, Calcio and EPL
Maybe they have better luck with Franco countries (Algeria, Tunisia & Morocco) although even those has big fan base for the aforementioned leagues

So, you think the following would be star and success related in the region in overwhelming fashion. Not cultural, them being owned by arabs.

For example in my case the initial draw was purely aestethic coming from Cruyff probably. More than star or success related. Barca were barely top 10 then. Barca appeared to play a bit different while the other teams were kind of similar.

In the case of PSG, they don't have that. Not much history (compared with other clubs) or legendary players playing for them. Don't play in a competitive league. They have money, thus exuding power, and they buy stars. That's the main draw.

Messigician

lieporta back at it again. btw if it wasn?t for pique he wouldn?t have been able to register his new signings 💀💀 Pique did more than him

malvolio

After PSG leading 3-0 , the game has turned around being 3-2 as we speak , making the end of the game be really tight.

Ligue 1 surprises us even more and proves it's the most difficult and competitive league where everything can happen.

ref made sure it stays 3-2 :lol:

snowy

If I have to take a guess, most PSG fans are probably local, in France, in Africa where France and the French language have more clout and probably South America (due to its Brazilian connections) and not so much in the rest of the world right now. I think newcomer is right, we have or had more plastic fans than PSG because of Messi alone.

I doubt Messi being there for two years will bring them more true fans, however if they can continue the path to be more successful, winning some CLs, no doubt they will grow more fans, at least more foreign fans.

Just guessing here but for non-local fandom to grow, I reckon it usually takes +1 gen. It can't grow overnight like magic mushrooms :lol:

say Da'a starts watching every game of PSG from Vanuatu cuz he's a big fan of Ibra or Navas... then good chances the kids will develop emotional imprint with both the club and its players.

It's well known in marketing for instance that it's easier to foster strong brand loyalty in the formative years (ie. MacDo, Joe Camel comics, etc.)

CatalinR10

Normally this would have been a draw , PSG would have crumbled in the past after Strasbourg got the 2 goals to make it 3-2 but with Leo in the stands everything is possible. Players got the extra motivation they needed , thanks to Messi , and managed to get away with a tough win.

Messi came to the rescue once again , this time for Psg.

Psg fans trully are blessed.

khaled_a_d

So, you think the following would be star and success related in the region in overwhelming fashion. Not cultural, them being owned by arabs.

Not sure I am following what you are trying to say here

In the case of PSG, they don't have that. Not much history (compared with other clubs) or legendary players playing for them. Don't play in a competitive league. They have money, thus exuding power, and they buy stars. That's the main draw.

Fans barely care about history tbh, one of the most naive arguments if we are being honest.
Football is about entertainment: stars, way of playing and prestige and that is true everywhere regardless of region.
In 1995 Ajax was bigger club than the like of Chelsea and City. In 2010 there is no argument that the London based club is bigger than the Dutch, In 2015 there is no question City were bigger.

Heck, I believe if US sport fans suddenly decided that they prefer Football over any other sports, I won't be surprised if MLS overtakes CL in less than 2 decades with all the money power US has.

malvolio

Heck, I believe if US sport fans suddenly decided that they prefer Football over any other sports, I won't be surprised if MLS overtakes CL in less than 2 decades with all the money power US has.

good point!

it's like that in every sport. once a big country with strong economy gets involved it's game over.

serghei

Not sure I am following what you are trying to say here

Fans barely care about history tbh, one of the most naive arguments if we are being honest.
Football is about entertainment: stars, way of playing and prestige and that is true everywhere regardless of region.
In 1995 Ajax was bigger club than the like of Chelsea and City. In 2010 there is no argument that the London based club is bigger than the Dutch, In 2015 there is no question City were bigger.

Hmm, history (better put historical achievements) becomes more important when it is added over the main arguments. If Ajax would have 600m budget they would be over Chelsea and would basically be like a sort of Dutch Bayern in status.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans