Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatalinR10

In a world where CR won the Bdor with 0 trophies and voting reopened in 2013 , Messi deserves the Bdor this year for his trophies + performance when it mattered.

Rassvet

His Copa America was meh all the way.
The only good months of the calendar year he had was at Barca under Koeman, when the team clicked for 3.5 months for January to mid-April
Certainly not enough for a Ballon D'Or

Said it again:
If trophies count, Jorginho deserves it
If performance counts, Lewa deserves it since 2020 until now

meh? He had 5 great performances out of 7.

Windhook

Let's be honest Messi doesn't deserve to win Ballon d'Or.

Lewandowski was better then Messi in the Calendar year. Messi didn't perform against 1 big club and his best Performance was against Ecuador

Lewandowski got his award - Golden Boot for goalscoring, he was better in goal numbers than Messi. The best footballer on the planet award has more criterias taken into consideration, which I cannot tell because I'm no journalist to be contacted by France Football. The criterias why the likes of Zidane, Rivaldo or Nedved won the award over goalscoring machines in their respective era.

Birdy

meh? He had 5 great performances out of 7.

How do you define 'great performance' ?
Scoring Free-kicks?
Apart from the game against Ecuador, I saw a very meh performance.
Di Maria, Lautaro, and De Paul were more important for Argentina in winning this

KingLeo10

Scoring Free-kicks?
Di Maria, Lautaro, and De Paul were more important for Argentina in winning this

He had the best offensive stats across the board in the team (and the tournament)...and he was the 4th most important player in his own team?

How does that compute.

Hardy

Scoring Free-kicks?

what did you smoke today? di maria wasn't even a starter for most part of the tournament.

CatalinR10

Scoring Free-kicks?

does anyone take you serious around here ?

soul24rage

Scoring Free-kicks?

I'm sorry, but this is a claim that is difficult to make if you actually seen all of Argentina's games in the tournament.

You could definitely make a case that Lewy deserves the 2021 Ballon D'or, but that Messi had a meh tournament...

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Would think a stats nerd like @Birdy would appreciate Messi leading Copa America in almost every major statistic from chances created, goals scored, assists, etc. Not to forget how well he played if you actually watched him play in that tournament which I doubt this guy did.

But when you have an agenda against a certain player, like Messi here, all those things go out of the window and you start picking and choosing what you find important and what not :shrug:

You'll choose the most obscure stats to claim that Dembele is great and has WC potential, but when it comes to Messi we shall just ignore it :thumbsup:

Dark Magus

Imagine forgetting Emi Martinez. And performances against Chile and Colombia>performance against Ecuador.

Last edited:

Windhook

Would think a stats nerd like @Birdy would appreciate Messi leading Copa America in almost every major statistic from chances created, goals scored, assists, etc. Not to forget how well he played if you actually watched him play in that tournament which I doubt this guy did.

It's understandable, Argentina matches started at 2-3 AM in the morning in Europe. Myself I watched only the final match as it was my birthday.:burp:

FinBarcelonafan

Imagine forgetting Emi Martinez. And performances against Chile and Colombia>performance against Ecuador.

True. Argentina had many players perform to their best. That's why they are doing better than in years. Functional team. It wasn't one player performance.

Coach deserves a lot of credit too.

That's why I also think they have a chance at World Cup. First time in a while they are a team. Every player have their own role and it works well.

Messigician

France will make sure Messi wins it

Lionel Messi Ballon d'Or: France Football have reportedly told him he's won 2021 award

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans