Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingLeo10

While all of that is true...
The thing is that back then the internet didn't break out in this way. I guarantee if that was the case back then those players would be dissed on social media too.

There's a general attitude amongst Football fans of "how dare you compare a current player to a famous retired player".

Once you retire you're looked at more fondly and automatically become way more protected.

Messi is miles better than R9 but try and tweet something against R9 and people will come hunting for you with comments like "You don't know about Football, kid" and "Kids these days"....but hate on Messi in a tweet and you'll get way more support.

Just a consequence of the global breakthrough of social media in this period.

Nostalgia bias is insane amongst Football fans. I'll upset a lot of people here too if I start comparing current Footballers to old "legends".

The only Footballing legend who gets proper hate by modern Footy fans is ironically the greatest one: Pele. You'll see dumbfucks everywhere go on and on about crap like "he counted goals he scored against his grandma."

This is actually a good post.

Agree regarding Pele, I used to diss on the guy for not taking the challenge of coming to Europe to go up against Di Stefano/Puskas, Eusebio, Beckenbauer/Muller, and Cruyff (and still do because he is a bit senile with his comments). But I read up more about how those legends viewed him and also did more digging into his record v top European teams when Santos toured Europe. And he was convincingly the same level as he was in Brazil :lol:

It is hard to argue against Pele being the upper pedestal of the GOAT tier (like easy top 3).

Blinkfloyd

Also the trolls love to act like Messi is the only player who has declined substantially with age.

Maradona's prime lasted 5 years. Cruyff's 7ish years. R9 like 3-4 years. Romario 7-8 years. R10's like 3-4 years.

Messi's lasted a solid 11 years (2008-2019) so I don't know where all this rhetoric of him last being a professional player in 2015 or 2011 come from :lol:

Maradona - World Cup winner. Had his flaws no doubt but inspirational.
Cryuff - World Cup Runner up. But more than that revolutionalized football.
R9 - Word cup winner. Inspirational in 2002 word cup. Success in multiple leagues
R10 - World Cup winner. Always played with a smile on his face. Inspirational
Romario - World Cup winner . Success in multiple leagues.

Now you may argue Champions league is higher quality than World Cup. But this is still a debate.
A length of a career is not really a good measure of GOAT status.
Messi is probably one of the most talented players ever. I have not seen anything like it. The ball used to stick to his feet.
But his mentality is severely lacking.

KingLeo10

Maradona - World Cup winner. Had his flaws no doubt but inspirational.
Cryuff - World Cup Runner up. But more than that revolutionalized football.
R9 - Word cup winner. Inspirational in 2002 word cup. Success in multiple leagues
R10 - World Cup winner. Always played with a smile on his face. Inspirational
Romario - World Cup winner . Success in multiple leagues.

Now you may argue Champions league is higher quality than World Cup. But this is still a debate

Yes, Michael Owen once scored more goals than Messi aged 19.
Gary Lineker once played in both England and Spain.

Both have achievements that Messi don't (it is a crime to mention the 10s of achievements that Messi has more of compared to these 2 or other players after all), therefore obviously better than Messi.

You post at the same times as OG did, and you post in spurts similar to him. Must be hard for you to keep that facade of "civil discussion" :lol:

Jakabor

To be honest, Messi has always been jealous of Cristiano, and how could he not?

He has a killer instinct that Messi can only dream of having. A drive to improve always. A determination to be the best.

Ronaldo has the heart of the champion, the body of a Greek God and the speed and reflexes of Neo from the Matrix.

I have finally seen the light. Nobody is greater than Ronaldo. Nobody.

Joan

People underestimate how everything football related was different back then. You couldn't see much non domestic football on Tv in the 90s, I can only imagine how it was during Pele's time. People who are old enough to have witnessed Pele probably know him like we do some striker from a league we don't follow. A few games here and there and some highlights.

Maybe it wasn't like that in all countries but plenty.

Blinkfloyd

[MENTION=19457]KingLeo10[/MENTION]
Lol. What imagination you have regarding the entire post.
Not just about thinking of me as another poster.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

My issue with you guys is that you all like to act like he was last world class 10 years ago, when he was pulling some incredible matches this time last year as well. Didn't he score about 30 goals within half a season...?

ofc he had also fantastic seasons after 2011 but i miss the power horse Messi, last time we have seen that Leo was in 2019 bruh

Fati_Future_BallonDor

While all of that is true...
The thing is that back then the internet didn't break out in this way. I guarantee if that was the case back then those players would be dissed on social media too.

There's a general attitude amongst Football fans of "how dare you compare a current player to a famous retired player".

Once you retire you're looked at more fondly and automatically become way more protected.

Messi is miles better than R9 but try and tweet something against R9 and people will come hunting for you with comments like "You don't know about Football, kid" and "Kids these days"....but hate on Messi in a tweet and you'll get way more support.

Just a consequence of the global breakthrough of social media in this period.

Nostalgia bias is insane amongst Football fans. I'll upset a lot of people here too if I start comparing current Footballers to old "legends".

The only Footballing legend who gets proper hate by modern Footy fans is ironically the greatest one: Pele. You'll see dumbfucks everywhere go on and on about crap like "he counted goals he scored against his grandma."

Well said, Tempt.

soul24rage

People underestimate how everything football related was different back then. You couldn't see much non domestic football on Tv in the 90s, I can only imagine how it was during Pele's time. People who are old enough to have witnessed Pele probably know him like we do some striker from a league we don't follow. A few games here and there and some highlights.

yeah, I don't think nobody in this forum except for [MENTION=28187]Fati_Future_BallonDor[/MENTION] and [MENTION=28284]Mateka[/MENTION] have seen Pele at his prime so very hard to judge :)

fergus90

Maybe it wasn't like that in all countries but plenty.

That's very true. In England during the 90's we pretty much had Football Italia on Channel 4 as our only access to foreign leagues. Apart from that, it was the Champions League, Uefa Cup, or Cup Winners Cup (which I miss, an underrated tournament). How I got into following Barca was when they played Newcastle and Faustino Asprilla got a hat-trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans