Lliga | Round 1: Athletic Club - FC Barcelona 0-1

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
What a difference a couple months can make in football. In June, we were the toast of Europe having conquered all. Fast-forward to August and there's unease about the first game of the season @ Bilbao.

Last season we were very lucky to not be plagued by injuries that paralyzed many teams, but nevertheless we still had Xavi and Pedro; this season our depth is near zero, and we already had quite a few players out ahead of a very tough beginning part of the season. Coupled with our extremely subpar performance of this pre-season, and the fact that quite a few key players such as Messi did not get much rest and might still be fatigued, everything adds up to a bleak and alarming outlook.

Last edited:

Icarium

Lifestealer
It is funny how our depth in every position is absolute trash except in GK and maybe CB. Don't even want to talk about full back depth. Considering alves is old and Alba little injury prone it really worries me. No matter how great your starting 11 is you can't win a league like this. Just hope we don't create a big gap from top when we hit January.

Barcadub

Bilbao throwing away a 2-0 away lead to Zilina in the Europa League.

2-2 now. Suppose it can only be a good thing.

aaron101

They won't be tired or anything. Check out their starting 11 line up and almost all of them didn't play against Barca on Super Cup. This line up is basically not their regular starting 11.

Alik

Remember, even before the illness he was not fully fit, having just come from vacation and with extra kilograms.

raskolnikov

Maybe a weird thing to say but given the circumstances I would be pleased with a draw. Perfect scenario would be taking at least 10 points from the next 4 game but since we miss ney, alba, pique and Xavi and Pedro gone meaning we lack depth combined with fatigue issues and a bad pre season I would be pleased with 8+ points.
Definitely cant go below that though.

We lack depth for the marathon thats la liga and given our tough schedule and Simeone's prediction I feel we have a better shot at cl than la liga this season, but its key to not let Real run away with a 10+ lead come january. As long its 6 max we can overcome it in the second half.

Therefore very important game on sunday, but I dont have high expectations.

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
It is funny how our depth in every position is absolute trash except in GK and maybe CB. Don't even want to talk about full back depth. Considering alves is old and Alba little injury prone it really worries me. No matter how great your starting 11 is you can't win a league like this. Just hope we don't create a big gap from top when we hit January.

Well, Chelsea won EPL last season playing the same line-up almost every match, of course the risk of injuries and being burnout at the end of the season increases, but I think it's possible. However knowing Lucho, I have no doubt that we'll see rotations despite lack of squad depth.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans