Man of the Match 13/14 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Flavia

I guess we just differ on that. I think it's a combination of both this and who had the best performance/influence in the game (which is making a difference. Goalscoring isn't the only indicater of how crucial someone was to a game.) Also, his second goal was when we were already winning, and his first was via penalty which he did not win. Without Neymar we wouldn't have got that goal.

i adore leo, but i think many here are quick to give him MOTM sometimes. He was nowhere near the best player on the pitch.

You can just as easily say, without someones complete dictation of play, no win. Without someones creation of others' goals, no win etc

Barça has lost games with Xavi dictating play. Even with the team playing well, like the cdr final against rm. That's not what win matches. Goals do. Creating is also not a direct influence as goals are. For example, a bad finisher could waste the chances created. Unless it is one of those games when Barça completely dominates, and the scorers can be overlook. But today's wasn't one of those games.

Sallou

Barça has lost games with Xavi dictating play.

yeah, and we've lost games were messi scored.

A player beating 5 defenders and setting up an easy tap in had more contribution to the win than the player scoring the tap in. simple. not that leo scored a tap in, i mean that goal :wub:

edit: i think we should stop, this isn't the thread for this :/ haha

F

Flavia

yeah, and we've lost games were messi scored.

A player beating 5 defenders and setting up an easy tap in had more contribution to the win than the player scoring the tap in. simple. not that leo scored a tap in, i mean that goal :wub:
If that were what happened today. If, let's say, Neymar creates like crazy and messi only scores 1x, and the score is 1-0, Neymar would be motm, but it wasn't the case on this game.
I don't think any player was more important for this win than Messi.

Sallou

If that were what happened today. If, let's say, Neymar creates like crazy and messi only scores 1x, and the score is 1-0, Neymar would be motm, but it wasn't the case on this game.
I don't think any player was more important for this win than Messi.

completely disagree. without messi the score was 2-1 (a penalty is a penalty). busi's goal came from a combination of xavi's brilliance and good finishing. the penalty from a great neymar bit of play. i think its a combination of the two things. xavi and busi were more important than messi today because the completely dictated the game, in the 1st half milan couldnt get a touch and we were destroying them, all while messi was relatively quiet. during that preiod we scored a goal and won a penalty. without messi's involvment.

BerkeleyBernie

Fabregas did well in the 15 minutes he was on too, should have started and probably would have been one of our most dangerous players.

Yes, most dangerous *to Barça*. Tata got it right; Xavi/Iniesta to control the game, Cesc/Pedro to take advantage of a tired opponent when Barça has the lead, Song/Pedro to shut it down.

F

Flavia

completely disagree. without messi the score was 2-1 (a penalty is a penalty). busi's goal came from a combination of xavi's brilliance and good finishing. the penalty from a great neymar bit of play. i think its a combination of the two things. xavi and busi were more important than messi today because the completely dictated the game, in the 1st half milan couldnt get a touch and we were destroying them, all while messi was relatively quiet. during that preiod we scored a goal and won a penalty. without messi's involvment.

Without Messi is 1-1. And Neymar dived big time for the penalty, not a great play to me.

Sallou

He did dive, but by play I meant the build up to get into that situation. His movement and run. And come on man, it was a penalty. Lets not pretend they are hard to score. The worst player in the world still has a 50-50 chance, and most competent strikers its like 70-80% likely they'll score. I hate given players credit for penalties. As a matter of fact, I dont think they should be counted in golden shoe awards and such, but thats a discussion for another day. (By the way, a really high prestige reward for most goals and assist combined would be awesome).

barcanuck

1. Messi - shrugged off the scoring slump with a brace. The second goal a trade mark slick chip over the goalie. Was impressive at times despite being triple marked.

2. Busquets - was very calm in the mids and his trickery was in full force tonight. Got a nice header goal tonight to calm our nerves.

3. Xavi - the organizer made over 140 passes with 93% success rate. Nice assist to Busi which marked our first set piece goal of the year!

rixxer

Messi- nearing his usual best and we all know what that means. Should have scored more, but I think it is well visible that he is a bit cautios with his acceleration. Still MOTM for me with his goals and determination
Xavi- assist and control of the midfield. Some clever passes as well
Masch- Made some very necessary fouls and sacrificed himself for the team. Pique was actually even better than him, but this OG was a bit amateurish, although unfortunate.

Mentions: Cesc- a superb combination wit Leo and that buried the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans