Man of the Match 13/14 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
I'm sorry but people are overreacting so much right now...Messi's first goal was a gift from Montoya and yes,his second goal was brilliant.But one move in stoppage time doesn't beat the fact that Pedro assisted perfectly for the first goal,won the penalty effectively killing the game,ran his ass off,played some terrific balls and was inches away from scoring.

I'm ecstatic to watch Messi come back like this but he did not have a better game than Pedro.

^ this

Hellsangel

1. Messi - no words..
2. Cesc - two goals and extremely active in seeking combination play. Enormous drive forward.
3. Busi - provided great authority while keeping things flowing. Some of his passes pushed our game into a higher gear.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
Messi didn't just score two goals, Messi was inches away from a hat trick with his free kick, did brilliantly to wriggle the ball to Sanchez for his decent shot saved by the keeper, did brilliantly to run past a few defenders and cross it to Pedro who was inches too short from scoring, did brilliantly to play in Tello who shrunk away from the goalkeeper at the very end for some reason, and did brilliantly to dance past a few players and pass it to Fabregas who just couldn't quite pick out Montoya. That's a good report card for any player in any circumstance, but to do it in thirty minutes after several months out from injury is absolutely incredible and, in my opinion, hands-down ahead of Pedro's performance.

F

Flavia

Messi didn't just score two goals, Messi was inches away from a hat trick with his free kick, did brilliantly to wriggle the ball to Sanchez for his decent shot saved by the keeper, did brilliantly to run past a few defenders and cross it to Pedro who was inches too short from scoring, did brilliantly to play in Tello who shrunk away from the goalkeeper at the very end for some reason, and did brilliantly to dance past a few players and pass it to Fabregas who just couldn't quite pick out Montoya. That's a good report card for any player in any circumstance, but to do it in thirty minutes after several months out from injury is absolutely incredible and, in my opinion, hands-down ahead of Pedro's performance.

Spot on.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
Well Messi is a fair choice too, I think. But he didn't play for long and only really got into top gear at the end.
But Busi? Mascherano? Roberto?

barcanuck

1. Cesc - his header was of great importance as it was early and took any confidence Getafe had away. Blasted his penal like a boss to end Getafe hope.

2. Pedro - his confidence again exuberant, the setup for Cesc was inch perfect and drew another penal while doing nothing but good for us with his work rate.

3. Messi - 2 goals, blasted a free kick inches away, would of assisted Pedro if he was an inch taller. The legend is back as if he never left ! Footballing world can smile again.

BerkeleyBernie

Pretty clear one to me: which players most influenced the out come of the game?

Barça dominated the game, and defenders weren't called into action often. Very little battle in the midfield as well, so MOTM has to go to those who created and finished final chances.

1. Pedro- perfect cross to assist the first goal, created the second with an aggressive run and quick feet in the box. Most important two actions of the game.
(note to Alves: *that* is how you aim a cross)
2. Cesc - well-positioned for his header, executed perfectly. Set up Pedro for the penalty run, buried the penalty.
3. Messi - put the game away with the third goal.

BerkeleyBernie

But without question Messi had *less* influence on the outcome of the game than Pedro. For me, MOTM aren't the players who demonstrate the most ability, it's those who make the difference on the score. Pedro, no doubt, had the two most important touches of the game, which created the first two goals. The third goal put the game away, and for that I give Messi the 3rd spot behind Pedro and Cesc (and why I leave Iniesta off, despite his entertaining performance).

Had Messi started the game, quite possibly he would have been more involved in the outcome and deserved MOTM. But the game was all but won when Messi came on at 2-0– and Pedro was the player most responsible for both goals.

Last edited:

BerkeleyBernie

Can't believe some people overlook Pedro for this.

I'm sorry but people are overreacting so much right now...Messi's first goal was a gift from Montoya and yes,his second goal was brilliant.But one move in stoppage time doesn't beat the fact that Pedro assisted perfectly for the first goal,won the penalty effectively killing the game,ran his ass off,played some terrific balls and was inches away from scoring.

I'm ecstatic to watch Messi come back like this but he did not have a better game than Pedro.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans