Man of the Match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

footyfan

Calma, calma
I really don't think there's anything wrong with that. If I recall correctly, he did a 1on1 save late in the match, after which we scored the winner, right? In my book that should count just as much as if an outfield player scored a winner, and thus getting the MotM.

I guess that's where we disagree. Anyway, I don't necessarily think it's wrong all the time, it's just that kind of behaviour is not consistent and was predicated by the unwarranted flak he was getting around that time. Contrast that with another situation - where a striker scores a goal and does nothing else the entire game - he wouldn't likely get a 2nd place like Valdes did.

Trickykid

I guess that's where we disagree. Anyway, I don't necessarily think it's wrong all the time, it's just that kind of behaviour is not consistent and was predicated by the unwarranted flak he was getting around that time. Contrast that with another situation - where a striker scores a goal and does nothing else the entire game - he wouldn't likely get a 2nd place like Valdes did.

If that goal broke a late deadlock and secured 3 points, I'm pretty sure there would be a fair chance that he'd be named at least in the top 3.

Its amazing how low Mascherano is, im pretty sure if there was a similair thread last year he would have been number 3 behind Messi and Busquets.
It also reflects what is happening at the moment, Messi is being Messi and Iniesta has increased is form a lot the last few months.
Also thought Jordi Alba would be higher, he usually performs very well imo.

Very much agreed. This case especially, pretty much sums up the problem with a top 3 system like the one we're using. He can be consistant as hell - which I think we can all agree that he's been so far - and still miss out on the votes for the top 3, thus in theory ending up in the same bracket as the worst on the pitch. The only way to solve this really, would to implement a system where we'd vote for every single player on the pitch and grade them all after each game. It would of course spawn other problems such as too few voters because of the time it takes to do so, an absurd amount of time to count all the votes and a lot of incorrect grades because it' hard to fairly judge every single player on the team.

J

jiopi

Anyhoo, without further ado, I present you with the Jiopi Index:

w12rgm.jpg

Considering how extremely lopsided it looks, I'm not sure I've created the intended formula, but I did as suggested: overall points received * (overall points / playtime) / 2.
Messi and Iniesta have absolutely sky rocketed, while Villa has moved down a spot being surpassed by Xavi. The rest hasn't changed all that much. It's more or less a complete blur after Messi and Iniesta, as they're so much higher rated than the rest of the squad. If I down the values for the y-axis in order to get a better look at the lower ranked players, the two leaders just blow the scale disappearing out of sight.
I think the formula is bit off in this, example Messi should have about 20, as in 60*0.682/2, Iniesta 9 and Xavi about 2. You are right that the lopsidedness is caused by because every game only Top 3 is voted.

Possible solution would be to take square root instead of dividing with 2. Which would portray everybody closer, as in Messi 6.4, Iniesta 4.24, Xavi 2.2 and so on.

Papabeef

It will always be a bit unbalanced due to the poor 4th, 5th..etc ranked players who get a Zero since its kind of podium based, nevertheless its pretty cool !!

Think next season if we can find a way to vote for each players performance (individually) out of 20 that would be as accurate as it gets! at least in our (barcaforum) view.

But as always tremendous job done here! cheers.

J

jiopi

Yeah, that looks better. Although it still somewhat artificially brings everybody closer it looks all right, and it takes account both, the overall contribution and the quality of contribution.

slvtn

vs. Granada - pretty clear decision for me

Messi
Fàbregas
Busquets

can't really tell any special mentions.

abual3bed1

Cesc: The only one who was actually trying to make things happen. His shot was decisive for the 1st goal.
Messi: For taking the chances and score when nobody else could. That was a beauty of goal although missing some chances.
Busquets: For all the coolness and confidence he has under his skin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans