Man of the Match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BerkeleyBernie

Song was great, why do you think he wasn't?

Like Cesc, he kills any tempo to the game. He's not a 1-touch player - Busquets is one of the best 1-touch players in the world. Song held onto the ball FAAAAAAAAR too long (though he wasn't the only one today- only Thiago in the midfield had any tempo to his game (until Xavi came on).

Defensively, he was fine, but he killed any transitions. Barça, at their best, are like a jazz ensemble trading quick phrases. Song is like a bassist who takes a 5 minute solo.

rixxer

1. Alexis- his goal was messiesque, that says it all
2. Song- although made one scary error, despite this recovered balls and was confident in passing
3. Pique- Barca did not concede (!) and actually, Espanyol was not let to create much. And Pique played part of this- did an excellent block on Wakaso after "the madman" was dribbling away Barca defenders in the box.

Mentions- Thiago

BerkeleyBernie

Like Cesc, he kills any tempo to the game. He's not a 1-touch player - Busquets is one of the best 1-touch players in the world. Song held onto the ball FAAAAAAAAR too long (though he wasn't the only one today- only Thiago in the midfield had any tempo to his game (until Xavi came on).

Defensively, he was fine, but he killed any transitions. Barça, at their best, are like a jazz ensemble trading quick phrases. Song is like a bassist who takes a 5 minute solo.

Just rewatched the 1st half, and Barça was actually moving the ball at a nice tempo, Song included (solid, but in no way a MOTM performance). The most glaring problems in the first half were Alves' crosses to nowhere, a complete waste of the buildup play.

Second half is where the tempo went from brisk to mind-numbingly dull, until the entrance of Xavi to restore tempo to the midfield.

Trickykid

The Official Barcaforum.com MoM-thread award
Espanyol, La Liga, away (2-0)

1. Alexis (35,6%) goal was his best piece of individual work since joining Barça- maybe because Messi wasn't there to pass to ~ BerkeleyBernie
2. Thiago (25,9%) Really impressive performance and he showed once again that he is a better fit than Cesc ~ Galning
3. Song (27,4%) Solid all game, has constantly been getting better, his positioning and tiki-taka are both very impressive from someone not from La Masia ~ Semi-Neutral

Alexis is continuing his fine end to the season with another top spot. He, along with Song, Pedro and Piqué, has the chance to advance from the lower end of the chart to the better half, if he produces another top spot this Saturday against Malaga. As stated before, the end table top spots have all been distributed long ago, but we are still in for a furious mid-table battle, as the aforementioned players will do their best to end the season on a high. And frankly, a 7th or 8th spot finish does sound quite a lot better than a 15th or even 16th position out of the 21 players who've all been deemed worthy of a top 3 placement during the season.

nxp6d0.jpg

Trickykid

I finally managed to pull myself together, and add the minutes played data from the official site, so here's how the points/minutes played chart looks like before the very last match of the season:

1zpk13t.jpg

Aside from Messi and Iniesta, it does paint quite a different picture of the season.
Also; Mascherano... ouch.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
Decided to rate everyone today since this was the last game of the season.

Pinto-Made some great saves today, couldn't do anything about the goal, and was in general in very inspired form. One of the best back-up goalkeepers out there. (8.5/10)
Montoya-Great goal, got forward well and was a lot more solid at the back then Alves typically is, very good game from him, hope we'll see more of him next season (9.0/10)
Mascherano-Showcased all of his good qualities today as he demonstrated his world-class tackling once again, as much as I think he has no place in the future of the team I do think he's a great player and wish him luck wherever he goes (8.5/10)
Pique-Lost concentration a few times, but was generally solid and made some vital tackles and interceptions. Sums up his season in truth, hopefully he can improve next season (8.0/10)
Alba-Constantly making overlapping runs and linking up with our attack, Alba continues to amaze me with his energy and pace even after a full season. One of, if not the smartest transfer we've made in quite some time (8.5/10)
Abidal-Wasn't tested too much but was solid when it was required, loved the run he made at one point, good luck Abidal wherever you go (8.5/10)
Busquets-Terrific performance from the Octopus as he controlled the game very well and demonstrated his usual array of one-touch passes, clever plays and skills. Best DM in the world (9.5/10)
Xavi-Dominant, has finally began to find his form once more as he controlled the game superbly and picked terrific longballs through Malaga's defense countless times. Legend (9.0/10)
Iniesta-Amazing performance from the Don, ripped Malaga's defense to shreds in the first half and took his goal sublimely in the second. Would have been my MOTM if he wasn't taken off for Thiago, but still, what a player (9.0/10)
Thiago-Although I was rooting for him to come on, he didn't really impress upon doing so and didn't contribute too much. Still, he was fairly solid, so... (7.0/10)
Pedro-Although his assist very early on and his workrate in the first half had me fairly impressed, he missed too many chances from then on to get a high rating. If we get a bid of 15 million+, as sad as I am to say this, sell him. (6.5/10)
Cesc-Good game from Cesc, took his goal terrifically and constantly flashed quality, even if he wasn't on fire the entire game. Hope we continue to see this Fabregas in seasons to come (8.5/10)
Villa-Was clear to me he wanted to make an impression and he did so, taking his goal clinically, working hard, and generally linking up well. However, he still showed signs that his lethality has slipped and he is no longer the clinical striker he was before. I wish him the best and hope he succeeds wherever he goes (8.0/10)
Sanchez-Looks so confident and a completely different player these days, as he impressed pretty much instantly upon coming on. If he, Neymar and Messi can connect I am confident we will rip Bayern to shreds when we meet them in next year's CL (8.5/10)

So then, my men of the match are, in this order
1. Busquets
2. Xavi
3. Iniesta
With Montoya just missing out

It's been a good season despite our losses to Madrid and Bayern, and I hope we will improve on our shortcomings and come back next season.

¡Visca Barça! :barca scarf:

J

jiopi

1. Fabregas
2. Pinto
3. Iniesta

Montoya, Alba, Mascherano, Sanchez all good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans