Man of the Match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pawanme10

1. Pique - Throw anything at him, he stood his ground with 'You shall not pass' attitude, made a couple of last ditch tackles and almost got an assist when he put Messi through with the keeper.
2. Messi- Well, a brace and another victory, just another night for Leo. I'm just going to quote Ray hudson here - "Lionel Messi knows the laws of physics. The laws of physics doesn't know Lionel Messi."
3. Xavi - Orchestrator in chief. Lost possession a couple of times in the first, made me actually pinch myself, but then got back to his brutal efficiency and display the perfect control of midfield single handedly.

Special mentions-
Thiago- Screamer of a shot which hit the posts, an amazing mazy dribble otherwise was sloppy losing possession. (maybe attributed to Cordoba's pressing)
Alexis- Superb work rate and great effect on the field when he came on.
Pedro- He is able to everything with the ball but put it in the back of the net! :(

Song - Needs more time to adapt to our system. Takes at least 2 touches before distributing the ball, I'm sure he will come good. Could have done a better job in protecting the defense letting the Fede guy in the hole allowing him to run riot. :/

Good job, trickykid. My favorite thread in the forum. :)

Trickykid

1. Pique - Throw anything at him, he stood his ground with 'You shall not pass' attitude, made a couple of last ditch tackles and almost got an assist when he put Messi through with the keeper.
2. Messi- Well, a brace and another victory, just another night for Leo. I'm just going to quote Ray hudson here - "Lionel Messi knows the laws of physics. The laws of physics doesn't know Lionel Messi."
3. Xavi - Orchestrator in chief. Lost possession a couple of times in the first, made me actually pinch myself, but then got back to his brutal efficiency and display the perfect control of midfield single handedly.

Special mentions-
Thiago- Screamer of a shot which hit the posts, an amazing mazy dribble otherwise was sloppy losing possession. (maybe attributed to Cordoba's pressing)
Alexis- Superb work rate and great effect on the field when he came on.
Pedro- He is able to everything with the ball but put it in the back of the net! :(

Song - Needs more time to adapt to our system. Takes at least 2 touches before distributing the ball, I'm sure he will come good. Could have done a better job in protecting the defense letting the Fede guy in the hole allowing him to run riot. :/

Good job, trickykid. My favorite thread in the forum. :)

Cheers, buddy, much appreciated!

Trickykid

The Official Barcaforum.com MoM-thread award
Copa del Rey, Cordoba, away (2-0)

1. Messi (46,7%) Produces more braces than an orthodontist ~ Paganinisrvnge
2. Pique (31,6%) very good, bossed the defense and could've had an assist with that ball to Messi ~ Flavia
3. Xavi (14,2%) Orchestrator in chief. Lost possession a couple of times in the first, made me actually pinch myself, but then got back to his brutal efficiency and display the perfect control of midfield single handedly ~ pawanme10

I'm honestly running out of ways to introduce the top spot of The Official Barcaforum.com MoM-thread award these days. Why? You may ask... I'll tell you God damn why. Messi is why! Close to 50% of the votes earned the magical little leprechaun yet another deserved and undisputed number 1 spot, as he had chalked up yet another brace against a hard working Cordoba side, to take his season tally to an unbelievable 32 goals in just 24 games. During the past 1½ month or so, Messi has destroyed every single grain of excitement that might've been left of the outcome of this thread come June, and all that's left really, is the question on who will finish second and third, miles after Messi.

Speaking of second and third spot in the end rankings of the season isn't very relevant when we're talking about Gerard Pique. Or is it? With the form he's displaying at the moment, one would be a fool not to assume that we're going to see a hell of a lot more of the Piquenbauer in the top 3 during the course of the next couple of months. For the third time this season, and the second in a row, more importantly, he makes the podium. This time around it took him well over 30% of the votes to earn him second place, and long gone are the memories of the dreary 11/12 season. The forum is brimming with optimism in regards to Pique, and few rather ecstatic voices are even suggesting that his performance against Cordoba was amongst his best in the blaugrana. Regardless if this is true or not, he sure is playing well and it looks like we finally have at least one stable cog in the central defense.

When it comes to who's going to end up on the The Official Barcaforum.com MoM-thread award-podium in the wake of Messi, come June, this weeks number 3 will be sorely dissapointed to miss out on the honors. Xavi has been number 2 in the rankings since more less the beginning of the season, but a rather lacklustre month has seen him lose much of his healthy lead over number 3, and especially a red hot Andres Iniesta looks intent on making a serious case for the much coveted number two spot, while the injured Cesc Fabregas will be kicking himself over his misfortune as he can only watch from the stands as his spanish comptariots edge further and further away from him.
My rambling aside, Xavi takes third spot with less than 15% of the votes after a 4 match podium drought.

This weeks shout-out goes out to Thiago, who was the only one to barely threaten this weeks winners with his 6% of the votes, but even so, he was still comfortably beaten by Xavi. Thiago will most likely be looking for a healthy dose of minutes during the next month or so, as Cesc is ruled out through injury, and considering his rapport on these forums, I'd be surprised if he doesn't take advantage of this opportunity to gun for medals in the The Official Barcaforum.com MoM-thread.

Random fact of the day:
After Mascherano earned a much needed podium spot after the ChL game against Spartak Moscow last month, he's seen his appaling season drag along with 4 matches in a row with 0 points to show for his efforts.

Tune back to The Official Barcaforum.com MoM-thread this sunday when one of Messis favorite prey comes to town, as we entertain Atletico Madrid on Camp Nou. Los Colchoneros, and namely Falcao, has been the revelation of the season, and they'll be looking for 3 points and the title as serious contenders for the La Liga crown.

o6e885.jpg

In order to spice things up a bit, I've made a second chart showing actual votes gotten per match. This should give a slightly more realistic picture of how the players perform, as injuries and other causes of not playing will not factor in here. Unfortunately I'm a complete and utter moron when it comes to Excel, so the sorting mechanism is seriously messing with me. If any wizz-kids reading this would like to help out, I'd love to send the powerpoint/excel file your way for a quick look-see.

29dtf5v.jpg

J

jiopi

Great job again, maybe you should put them in the same diagram?

Also at least in open office "excel" the sorting is fairly straightforward, just select the cells and push sort button. Can't really remember how it was in Excel though.

Trickykid

Great job again, maybe you should put them in the same diagram?

Also at least in open office "excel" the sorting is fairly straightforward, just select the cells and push sort button. Can't really remember how it was in Excel though.
That's actually a really good idea. I'll try to implement it once I have the time... and if I can figure out how to.
About the sorting, yeah, it should be that straightforward, however something is messing up, and it doesn't seem to be able to sort according to the right column. Perhaps my document is just screwed up, I don't know.

J

jiopi

1. Adriano - Best game in Barca shirt. :worthy:
2. Messi
3. Busquets

HoM for the whole team.

Vapor

Hmm this is kind of hard. Adriano was clearly MOTM for the first half but Busquets had a ridiculous 2nd half.

1. Adriano - Just based on how crucial and influential that first goal was. When everyone else was lackluster and we were in danger of getting into a rut due to our lack of creativity up front, he comes in and BLASTS that golazo.
2. Busquets - Unreal. Completely dominated the midfield, especially in the 2nd half.
3. Iniesta

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans