Man of the Match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trickykid

The Official Barcaforum.com MoM-thread award
Copa del Rey, Real Madrid, away (1-1)

1. Piqué (34,2%) Imperious all game long. He was on the right place at the right time all evening and he played 90 minutes with a yellow to his name ~ Hellsangel
2. Puyol (25,2%) Led by example in the back end, defensive master ~ barcanuck
3. Iniesta (10,6%) Played very well in the 1st half and start of the 2nd, slowed down near the end however ~ Vapor

6dvhnm.jpg

The second chart is starting to bother me a bit. It's extremely unfair to the players who are getting subbed on a lot, as I'm still counting their sub appearances towards their games played no matter how many minutes they manage to play. I've thought of only including players who has played at least 15 mins, but that would ruin the idea of a late game deciding winner from a substitute, which potentially could rake up a lot of points. I've looked for sites that shows minutes played as a sum throughout the season, but have had no luck so far with the likes of whoscored and squawka. Does any of you guys happen to know a site like that?

5kq7sz.jpg

...and the new one:

29fr2ol.jpg

Last edited:

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
No Alves :(

He had a massive game, just like the previous one, and still didn't make the top 3 in any of them

And I agree about the second chart, but it's still a good graph and a difficult decision to make

Last edited:
F

Flavia

I've looked for sites that shows minutes played as a sum throughout the season, but have had no luck so far with the likes of whoscored and squawka. Does any of you guys happen to know a site like that?

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but the official fcb site has a stat page for every player, with the minutes played as a starter and a sub, and the total. Here's Xavi's page.
Does this help?

Trickykid

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but the official fcb site has a stat page for every player, with the minutes played as a starter and a sub, and the total. Here's Xavi's page.
Does this help?

That's pretty much exactly what I was looking for! Thanks, Flavia.
Been looking at all sorts of obscure stats sites, and it turns out it's on the official site... Silly brain, stop being silly.

Edit: Urgh.. just one little problem. Players (Tello) registered with the b-team doesn't have those stats.

Last edited:

Trickykid

Alright, this is the chart with points awarded / minutes:
I'm not sure what I'll do with the Tello problem, but I'll try to figure out a solution. I'd just hate to count his minutes manually, as it'd take ages to do so.

29fr2ol.jpg

J

jiopi

The second chart is also a bit misleading because it doesn't take take along the fact, more you play, less overall form or energy you have per game/ playtime. I would suggest of making even third one, overall points received * (overall points / playtime) / 2, which would take both the overall productiveness and effectiveness along.

Trickykid

The second chart is also a bit misleading because it doesn't take take along the fact, more you play, less overall form or energy you have per game/ playtime. I would suggest of making even third one, overall points received * (overall points / playtime) / 2, which would take both the overall productiveness and effectiveness along.

I'm probably just being slow here, but can you elaborate on the purpose of that third chart? I'm not sure I get it. Well... actually, I'm pretty confident I don't.

J

jiopi

I'm probably just being slow here, but can you elaborate on the purpose of that third chart? I'm not sure I get it. Well... actually, I'm pretty confident I don't.
The first one favors playing more, and the second one playing less. The third one would try to even these both anomalies out off the equation, trying to portray the overall quality of the player.

Trickykid

The first one favors playing more, and the second one playing less. The third one would try to even these both anomalies out off the equation, trying to portray the overall quality of the player.

I see, thanks.
I'm not sure I agree entirely with you about the second chart solely favoring players with few minutes though. I see what you're saying and all, but if you want to go into details like that, I'm sure one could make the counter argument, that those players doesn't get any real match rythm, thus being at a disadvantage compared to the players who get 90 mins regularly.

Trickykid

No Alves :(

He had a massive game, just like the previous one, and still didn't make the top 3 in any of them

And I agree about the second chart, but it's still a good graph and a difficult decision to make

I just checked. He was actually 4th in both instances. Just 5 points behind Iniesta in the last one.

J

jiopi

I see, thanks.
I'm not sure I agree entirely with you about the second chart solely favoring players with few minutes though. I see what you're saying and all, but if you want to go into details like that, I'm sure one could make the counter argument, that those players doesn't get any real match rythm, thus being at a disadvantage compared to the players who get 90 mins regularly.
I've followed statistical analysis in football for some time now, especially productiveness and effectiveness, and I think there is clear correlation between, more you play, on average less effective you are.

Lets look at this way, player A plays two games, being best in one game and fourth in second. Player B plays the second game being the best. With that the first one would suggest them being equal and the second chart would suggest that the player B would have been better, when actually player A gave more overall quality.

But you are correct it isn't that simple as I put it worth, and that's why I said: tries to take that anomaly out. And like I said, it's just a suggestion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans