28 - Marc Bernal

Porque

Bernal is deceptive as he is always close to possession. But he does definitely visually move like Busi or a European basketball player.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
Who can't?
Double pivot is essentially to accommodate any DM or CM limitations tbh.
I mean, maybe we can't find anybody that can play lone DM in our system 'a la' Busi and maybe we shouldn't - maybe we play double pivot system and stop looking for the new Busi?

soul24rage

Albert Sensat also sees him in double pivot but with the license to bomb up.

Flick will probably like his playing profile.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Hopefully Flick doesn't turn into a flop because a system with a double pivot or without a pure CDM is probably what suits the club best going forward.

Finding a pure CDM who can play as a lone pivot is next to impossible. The only such player in the World right now that is elite is Rodri. I don't know what they're teaching kids these days because every academy seem to produce these weird hybrid type of players instead, as strikers as well.

Even CMs like Kroos seem like a dying breed.

Windhook

Double pivot tactics are outdated. Mourinho used them during Chelsea days and IIRC Del Bosque's 2010 WC lineup had double pivot with Busi and Xabi Alonso. Haven't seen it in a decade as the winning formula on a big stage.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Double pivot tactics are outdated. Mourinho used them during Chelsea days and IIRC Del Bosque's 2010 WC lineup had double pivot with Busi and Xabi Alonso. Haven't seen it in a decade as the winning formula on a big stage.

Depends on what you're thinking about.

Two actual deep-lying midfielders or CDMs? Probably not.

Two CMs or one CDM/B2B MF and one CM? A lot of teams. Argentina won the World Cup with it. Real Madrid just won the Champions League with it.

Windhook

Depends on what you're thinking about.

Two actual deep-lying midfielders or CDMs? Probably not.

Two CMs or one CDM/B2B MF and one CM? A lot of teams. Argentina won the World Cup with it. Real Madrid just won the Champions League with it.
In terms of two CDMs.

The system is very hybrid/dynamic to talk in the first place. I'm giving the hardline example of Del Bosque with Busi and Alonso that was 4-5-1 formation. Some could argue it was 4-3-3. With versatile players anything is possible.

I don't think Barca has them currently.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
In terms of two CDMs.

The system is very hybrid/dynamic to talk in the first place. I'm giving the hardline example of Del Bosque with Busi and Alonso that was 4-5-1 formation. Some could argue it was 4-3-3. With versatile players anything is possible.

I don't think Barca has them currently.
Yeah, no - I absolutely didn't mean 2 CDMs.

xXKonan

JUST IN: TOTAL AGREEMENT reached for the renewal of Marc Bernal until 2026, with an commitment to extend it for another 3 years later. Barça considers the youngster as a key piece for future, and he will do pre-season with the first team. [
@tjuanmarti
&
@scapde_45
] #fcblive

TheStig

He's not stupid and he sees he has a lot more chances in the first team as a DM even if he maybe doesn't prefer that. I'm afraid that we have goten too used to see our youngsters getting chances, it will probably end with Flick.

Messi983

Well, Flick will use a double pivot and we currently only have Frenkie and Gundo/Pedri (one of them will be used as an AMC) there. Maybe Christensen but don't know if Hansi sees him as DM too.

Romeu will be gone, Gavi won't be back before November so there will be a chance for Bernal and Casado to impress in preseason and start of the season.

Porque

Let's see how he develops. If Barcelona B can promote then he and Casado can develop alot in the second division as I don't see the opportunities next year for them in the first team.

If you watch Bernal his versatility is evident and he is very good in tight spaces. The only thing is that his pass selection is maybe 60% correct (a figure I pulled out my ass but watch a few HL videos and you will get what I mean) and not taking the progressive options intuitively, so he is still a work in progress.

Maybe this could be expedited with Flick as he seems to be looking for a more direct football (as Koeman did...), but I'm not rushing my expectations of Bernal even if I do expect him to arrive in the A long term.

Home of Barca Fans