Martin Montoya

Indignado

Could of done better in a couple of situations. Neymar did put him in good positions yet he kept taking the wrong decision. Passing when he should take a shot or the other way around.

The problem he still has is that he never actually considers shooting as an option. I think he couldn't have done a lot better when he got the ball in attack, most of the times there was just nobody to play to. That's when he should shoot instead of trying to pass anyway.

Stric

I don't think Montoya is a player that can unlock a game by doing something special. He's just a player that does his job overall, nothing out of the ordinary and lots of passes backwards or sideways from him. Alves takes a lot more resposabilities than Montoya and was a big part in Barca's success over the last 5 years precisely because of the risks he take with his passing. Montoya is a pretty one-dimensional player unfortunately.

I'd rather have a player that makes 5 or 6 great plays out of 10 attempts than one that almost never tries anything. When you don't try to make a difference, you don't make many mistakes. That doesn't mean you're great. It just means you're afraid to try something other than a plain, basic back pass.

Being a ghost in a match is not a good thing. Sure, you don't screw up, but you're there to count, not to be invisible.

People need to take their 2008-colored glasses off. Sure, Alves is more "extravagant" than Montoya (for the lack of a better term), but for a long time now that's been solely in a negative way. Alves offers flare, but nothing to show for it. Montoya had at least half a dozen purposeful situations tonight that I can't imagine Alves doing.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
IMO Montoya was a little tentative today, specially on offense. However I thought he was solid on defense.

I think Alves would have helped the team more today, because Alves can still offers more creativity and more offensive threat (even though this aspect of Alves' game has declined significantly). However, Montoya may be able to offer more defensive security, and while I don't think he'll be nearly as good as Alves was on offense, I think he can certainly improve and be a nice attacking complement.

serghei

This. Alves WAS a great RB. He contributed a shitload to the team IN THE PAST. He WAS the best RB in the world.

People need to realize that the current Alves is not the Alves of 2009-2011.

Alves did not declined that much. He's still our best right back and it shows when he doesn't play.

JamDav1982

He got into a good few positions yesterday that Alves would have done better in.

Alves still the better full back and his attacking threat was missed yesterday against a team like that will barely look to go forward.

Irish_Cules

I wasn't able to watch the game but I'm happy to hear Montoya played well. Even if he didn't do great in attack yesterday people shouldn't come to the conclusion that it isn't a strong point of his game because he usually is very good going forward.

JamDav1982

I wasn't able to watch the game but I'm happy to hear Montoya played well. Even if he didn't do great in attack yesterday people shouldn't come to the conclusion that it isn't a strong point of his game because he usually is very good going forward.

He did play well but was in space a few times in attacking positions and didnt react quickly enough.

A bit to go before he can get close to matching Alves on that front, despite the fact some people on here make out Alves can barely kick a ball in the final third.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
He did play well but was in space a few times in attacking positions and didnt react quickly enough.

A bit to go before he can get close to matching Alves on that front, despite the fact some people on here make out Alves can barely kick a ball in the final third.

Alves isn't nearly as bad as people make him out to be. If he were properly rested, then perhaps he could get back to being the explosive wingback we know he can be.

Our fullback pairings (lb-rb) should be as follows:

Adriano-Alves or Montoya-Alves, and Alba-Montoya.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife

He was sloppy at times and gunshy in front of goal although I think you can also say that's merely down to a lack of minutes & form...Clearly, he should play more

Home of Barca Fans