Martin Montoya

CatalinR10

Orobitg (agent Montoya): "He has one year left and we're trying to renew his contract, but it's not easy as Barça also have Alves." [tn]

Orobitg (agent Montoya): "The top 5 italian clubs are following him. Rumours about deal with Napoli? Not true, there has been no contact."

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Will never be good enough if he doesnt get playtime

He did get a taste at the beginning of the season with some exhibition games, and he really disappointed. He'll get another chance most likely against Osasuna.

He needs to wrestle the opportunity and really make the most of it. Players like this on the fringe do not get many chances to impress, they need to come out strong and make others notice, just like Bartra did.

Indignado

He did get a taste at the beginning of the season with some exhibition games, and he really disappointed. He'll get another chance most likely against Osasuna.

He needs to wrestle the opportunity and really make the most of it. Players like this on the fringe do not get many chances to impress, they need to come out strong and make others notice, just like Bartra did.

Exhibition games are absolutely no indication for how good a player is, plus, Bartra would play his first game of the season against Osasuna if it wasn't for the other players' injuries so we shouldn't act like Bartra is a lot better than Montoya now because he "grabbed his chance", he was just luckier.

Stric

Funny how opinions on Bartra and Montoya have reversed completely. Last season it was Bartra who was not good enough, and Montoya was the one who was supposed to bench a starter. What happened? Bartra got playing time, that's what happened.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Exhibition games are absolutely no indication for how good a player is, plus, Bartra would play his first game of the season against Osasuna if it wasn't for the other players' injuries so we shouldn't act like Bartra is a lot better than Montoya now because he "grabbed his chance", he was just luckier.

Again, when you are a fringe player like Montoya, exhibition games are opportunities that cannot be wasted. He was presented the opportunity, and did not make the best of it.

Bartra has not been "luckier", he was given an opportunity, and he very well could have squandered it. Instead, he seized it and ran away with it. Now, he is very much in the discussion for regular time. That's what you have to do when you are a fringe player, seize your chances and not squander them. They'll be few and far.

Stric

Again, when you are a fringe player like Montoya, exhibition games are opportunities that cannot be wasted. He was presented the opportunity, and did not make the best of it.

Bartra has not been "luckier", he was given an opportunity, and he very well could have squandered it. Instead, he seized it and ran away with it. Now, he is very much in the discussion for regular time. That's what you have to do when you are a fringe player, seize your chances and not squander them. They'll be few and far.

Nonsense.

First of all, Bartra was no better than Montoya in the exhibition games we are talking about. His good performances came about recently, when he was given real opportunities. Just like Montoya's best performances came about early last season, when he was thrown into the fire against Madrid and others.

Secondly, none of us knows whether Bartra is really in the discussion for regular playing time. In fact, I'm pretty sure he'll be back to his usual bench spot as soon as Tata has two completely fit CBs at his disposal, ahead of Bartra.

Anyways, my point is, Montoya is no different than Bartra in the sense that he didn't seize his opportunities. It's just that their opportunities came at different times.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Nonsense.

First of all, Bartra was no better than Montoya in the exhibition games we are talking about. His good performances came about recently, when he was given real opportunities. Just like Montoya's best performances came about early last season, when he was thrown into the fire against Madrid and others.

Secondly, none of us knows whether Bartra is really in the discussion for regular playing time. In fact, I'm pretty sure he'll be back to his usual bench spot as soon as Tata has two completely fit CBs at his disposal, ahead of Bartra.

Anyways, my point is, Montoya is no different than Bartra in the sense that he didn't seize his opportunities. It's just that their opportunities came at different times.

Agree completely.

Besides Montoya has always had bad off seasons; remember the Olympics last year? And then he was really good when he played during the season.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Nonsense.

What do you mean nonsense?

I don't even know what you're arguing. Never said Montoya is bad. Never said Bartra is better. Never said he cannot show his quality when he is given the chance.

It is obvious that for a player to show his capability, he has to be given the opportunity. I have not argued otherwise. However, nonsense is to say Bartra has been "lucky", he has been given the opportunity, true, but he has also made the most of it. And there is no question he is in the discussion for regular time. That does not mean it is guaranteed, but he has done enough to raise the question.

I'd like to argue that Bartra was in fact better than Montoya is the exhibitions, but that would be a fruitless discussion. I'll say this however, Montoya looked bad in those games. Not only did he not distinguish himself, he looked bad. No one should really be shocked he has not been trusted with actual playing time so far. Specially when you conciser all the games Barca's played so far have been important.

You can argue that exhibition games are not real test, and that they do not offer real indication of a players form, however we're not talking of a proven player here. We're talking of a young bench player who is not going to get a lot of opportunities to show what he can bring to the table. In such a case, the players MUST make the best of every chance he gets, even if it is an exhibition game. More so, when you're even trying to impress a new manager. Montoya not only did not stand out, but he looked poor.

Look at my previous post.

What do you have to argue with that?

Stric

After reading the last few posts again, I must apologize. I read a part of your post wrong and hence misunderstood it. Sorry, it's been a weird day.

You do make valid points.

I hope Montoya rises to the challenge when he gets an opportunity. I'd really love to see him as our next main RB.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
After reading the last few posts again, I must apologize. I read a part of your post wrong and hence misunderstood it. Sorry, it's been a weird day.

You do make valid points.

I hope Montoya rises to the challenge when he gets an opportunity. I'd really love to see him as our next main RB.

Not a problem. I figured you didn't see the one before.

I think Montoya will indeed rise up and take the chance. He's seen Bartra make the most out of his opportunity and the response to it by the team, players, and fans. I think that'll fill him with confidence and make him go out and play with hunger.
He is a talented kid, we've seen it last year and we also saw it in the U21 tourney.

Home of Barca Fans