Matthijs de Ligt

khaled_a_d

I doubt Bayern will go in a bidding war. They will sign Pavard next season anyway so I don't see them going after De Ligt.

Niether is Juve, but it only takes one rich club to decide to break the bank for a player. Chelsea, Manu or even City if they decided to let go one of their CB (Kompany and Mangala will leave next summer as free agents, Otamendi isn't young and they will see how reliable are stones and Laporte this year, could be well in the market for high profile CB) or even PSG or RM.
Ajax has been a club that sells for the highest profit. De Ligt will be really very difficult to get and very expensive and might prefer to look elsewhere considering we might go for FDJ and a new striker next season. Though he might be worth the money tbf

gregorrin10

What is it with this obssesion that two left footed defenders can't play together...when we see in many clubs play two right footed together, so why can't it be the same for left footed? And De Ligt is RIGHT-footed, so he is actually the perfect Pique heir for that RCB position. Getting both him and De Jong would be a dream come true and we'd have two future leaders in both defense and midfield set for a decade at least. Then only left finding a replacement for Suarez and then we're set on all positions at least until Messi retires. Phasing out Pique, Rakitic and Suarez in the next two years is a must for me, Pique will stay until he retires i guess, since he's aspiring for that president role in the future, but he can easily be benched for De Ligt or Lenglet if his head is not in the game, while we could easily sell Rakitic next summer, if we get De Jong and Arthur has a good first season here and settles in well. While also selling Suarez, but of course we need to find the right replacement for him first, so i guess maybe Suarez stays until summer of 2020, even though it would be perfect to get this sorted out next summer already and get rid of 'fatty' while we can still easily get something like 50M for him.

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Don't like him at all, think he was France weakest point in WC and was really overhyped.

I think Ajax will aim for Laporte/Kepa/Van Dajik type of deal

They won't get 70m+ for him unless De Ligt want to go and play for Man Utd or Chelsea that might need a CB.

khaled_a_d

They won't get 70m+ for him unless De Ligt want to go and play for Man Utd or Chelsea that might need a CB.

He said he wants to play in EPL. Players rarely turns clubs that want to break the bank for them and Ajax won't allow him to go to any club but the highest bidder

serghei

City seem to be buying a CB every summer. What's one more for them? Pocket change. I can see them replacing Kompany with De Ligt next summer.

BarçaBarça

Yes, we should at least try to get him next summer.

We should have enough cash, with some money coming in for sales next year and barely a netspending below 0 this summer.

DonAK

He probably has a better chance of taking over from Pique than Ramos or Varane next season.

Lenglet is a good CB, but don't think he's anything more than a 3rd CB on a team of this stature, which is still quite good.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Yes, we should at least try to get him next summer.

We should have enough cash, with some money coming in for sales next year and barely a netspending below 0 this summer.

Agreed. We have to try, at the very least, can't just assume he is going to end up at the EPL.

Even though our brand name might have diminished somewhat we still wield pretty strong power in terms of attracting players. And money-wise too.

FC433

Varane is not always fit and Ramos is 33 next season. Nacho can play in any defensive position and Vallejo is not good enough and he will likely leave.

They will get a new CB and I was hoping that they would get Pavard, but BM seems closer.

Let us take a look at other teams who can afford him.

Liverpool: Dijk 27, Matip 27, Gomez 21 and Lovren 29 | I would say 50%?

Man City: Stones 24, Laporte 24, Otamendi 30 and Kompany 32 | not sure, unless something happens to either Stones or Laporte. 25%?

Chelsea: Rüdiger 25, Christensen 22, Luiz 31, Cahill 32 and Azpilicueta 29 | I would say 50%

Man United: Bailly 24, Lindelöf 24, Jones 26, Smalling 28 and Rojo 28 | they have got other positions to reinforce, cannot see them willing to pay much for him and they would prefer Maguire or Alderweireld . 25%

Tottenham: Alderweireld 29, Davinson 22, Vertonghen 31 and a couple of young CBs. They wanted him earlier, but they were not willing to pay the asking price. They are struggling financially because of their new stadium. 25%?

Juventus: Bonucci 31, Benatia 31, Rugani 24, Chiellini 34 and Barzagli 37. They were following him and they could afford him, but I do not think they would get him for anything above 40m. I am sure they have other options out there.

PSG: Kimpembe 23, Marquinhos 24, Kehrer 21 and Silva 33. They have got other positions to work on, LB? backup RB? and a couple of good CMs. 15%?

Munich: Hummels 29, Süle 22, Boateng 29 and Martínez 29. Even if they want a new CB they will never pay anything close to 50m I would assume. And 90% Pavard is going there. 15%?

Madrid: Varane 25, Ramos 32, Nacho 28 and Vallejo 21. I would it is 75%

Barcelona: Umtiti 24, Piqué 31, Lenglet 23 and Vermaelen 32. It is 75%

Other options:

Maguire 25 (for English clubs), Skriniar 23 (not easy), Pavard 22 (BM?), Tah 22, Upamecano 19 (not easy), Dias 21 (seems very promising) and a couple more should rise this season.

DonAK

De Ligt is special though. What puts him apart from every other talented CB is his leadership and mentality and maturity on the field and off it.

[tw]1028353137982283776[/tw]

He's kind of like Real Madrid spending 30m on Ramos when he was 19/20 which was unprecedented for a defender in Spanish Football at that time. Was well worth it for them.

Except he's not a horse like him, but just a comparison I would use. :p

There are other greatly talented CBs like Upamecano out there, but you don't get that leadership and pure winning mentality you get with De Ligt.

He can be aesthetically pleasing and rough and bleed for the shirt as cliché as that may sound.

Last edited:

soul24rage

I think that with Vermaelen probably going leaving next summer with his contract running up and with Pique not getting younger, De Ligt might join us and he can develop bit by bit without the pressure of performing right away.

FC433

^ I agree. He is kind of a CB version of KM. Many thought 150m for KM was way too much.

I personally would go as high as possible. De Ligt, FDJ and a striker for next summer.

We have got around 80 this summer and 80 next summer + sales that should be around 200m.

Umtiti De Ligt
Stegen

that is about 8 seasons of security. Get him.

khaled_a_d

Let us take a look at other teams who can afford him.

Man City: Stones 24, Laporte 24, Otamendi 30 and Kompany 32 | not sure, unless something happens to either Stones or Laporte. 25%?

Chelsea: Rüdiger 25, Christensen 22, Luiz 31, Cahill 32 and Azpilicueta 29 | I would say 50%

Man United: Bailly 24, Lindelöf 24, Jones 26, Smalling 28 and Rojo 28 | they have got other positions to reinforce, cannot see them willing to pay much for him and they would prefer Maguire or Alderweireld . 25%

Madrid: Varane 25, Ramos 32, Nacho 28 and Vallejo 21. I would it is 75%

Barcelona: Umtiti 24, Piqué 31, Lenglet 23 and Vermaelen 32. It is 75%

Other options:

At the end of the day, for a player like him the most important thing is which club can agree terms with Ajax, any of the listed clubs can afford him and has a need for him.
City is just exactly in same position of Barca, with Stones/Laporte/Otamendi only under contract next year. Manu has way bigger need for him than us and the names you listed is basically Mou choice. Never mind they are likely in need of 2 CB not just one, Lindelöf is flop while Jones,Smalling and Rojo are bad. Baily is the only half reliable CB they have and he is injury prone. Chelsea too have biggger need for him than us too. Not sure how those two are 25% and us 75%
We have a chance to get him as much as anyone, but are the club willing to pay hefty sum for him? One year after paying 35M for Lenglet while having prime Umtiti and still relatively reliable (in board eyes) Pique?
Never mind once Roberto left we weren't linked with him at all, and focused more on his teammate FDJ.
Barring a disastrous season from Pique I doubt we will be ready to pay what Ajax want, for that I would be surprised if this guy ever became a Barca player

Home of Barca Fans