Matthijs de Ligt

Raketa10

His age should be irrelevant, if he is the best player at the club, and if he goes to Utd he will be, then it's natural he should be the best paid player at the club.

You don't know that. No one knows that. Players at 19y of age are hugely inconsistent especially CB's. There is only one who performed great week in week out at that age and his name is Leo.

De ligt is far from finished product, he has a lot more to learn, he is a 19y old player FFS who played in a Dutch league. During most of their games in the league they din't even need to defend so people need to realize wherever he goes he will need to adapt. 14mil is way too much for him right now.

Last edited:

Newcomer

signing a 19 year old CB on £230k wages pw (numbers keeps changing) isn't a step in the right direction for anyone or football. its ridiculous and like you pointed out Barcas insane wage structure or lack thereof, even we aren't that crazy

The account screams fake.
I don't take his informations as a reliable fact.
I don't know how much they offer him but if they do, it is their call.
I don't see how you can criticize whatever they would pay when your own club pay more than anyone.
It is a bit rich.

The guy will be debunked soon when there will be no bbc paper...

Newcomer

I never said they shouldn't be allowed. I said that going there is not the right choice for a young player who has better options on the table. For a 19y old player earning 10 mil or 14 mil should be irrelevant. Both of those salaries are outrageous and from sporting aspect Barca is a way better deal.

If it is their only way to get de Ligt and they can afford it, is it not good for MU ?

Raketa10

What Utd player do you think is better than De Ligt? Please don't say Rashers

I can't answer you that because we didn't see De Ligt competing week in week out in a top league. If he comes to Spain or England or some other top level leagues we will be able to tell how good he actually is. For now he is just a huge talent wit one great season after him. Also bare in mind that Ajax tried to press high on the pitch every single game in CL. In that way it's much easier for defenders to defend. The way United plays is not even similar.

xxxxxx

Don't you agree that buying de Ligt would be a step in the right direction by MU ?

Of course it would. But the problem is, he's not going to save them. He's still very young and needs major help around him. He also needs leaders and a good manager around him to help develop. He's not going to get that at Utd.

It's a risky move for him.

Raketa10

If it is their only way to get de Ligt and they can afford it, is it not good for MU ?

Yeah they did a "wonderful" deal with Pogba already when everybody thought he is THE NEXT BIG THING. Paying 14 mil per year for a 19y old player is never a good idea.

Newcomer

Yeah they did a "wonderful" deal with Pogba already when everybody thought he is THE NEXT BIG THING. Paying 14 mil per year for a 19y old player is never a good idea.

Pogba is their best player though.
If anything, they need more Pogba and less Young (promoted captain).

I don't see any problem for whatever they would pay him because it is their money and they can do whatever they want with it.
If the guy keeps getting better, they'll be happy. Like when de Gea was the best paid gk and their best player.
If the guy flops like Sanchez, we will laugh at them.

But that doesn't change there is nothing wrong to do what they want with their money.

And again, that number is not even confirmed by decent sources.

Remember that Pogba is quoted as a Madrid recruitment. And they would make a profit. I say it was a good deal for MU.

Sorin

You guys are way too invested in a player that won't make such a huge difference here. I would have understood the anguish if we were competing for the likes of Mbappe and lost since world class forwards/strikers will always be more valuable than defenders, but for a CB? Meh, just get the attack and midfield right with top 5 CB and then let's meet the likes of De Ligt and his future team in CL and see what's more important. Defense or attack?

Newcomer

You guys are way too invested in a player that won't make such a huge difference here. I would have understood the anguish if we were competing for the likes of Mbappe and lost since world class forwards/strikers will always be more valuable than defenders, but for a CB? Meh, just get the attack and midfield right with top 5 CB and then let's meet the likes of De Ligt and his future team in CL and see what's more important. Defense or attack?

Will be funny when he will be announced at Barça after this meltdown.

Sorin

Will be funny when he will be announced at Barça after this meltdown.

It's just not worth it to lose sleep over him even if he won't come. While our team definitely needs some improvements, we still have a more than decent pair of defenders who are arguably better than De Ligt right now. Pique definitely is. Furthermore, we have Todibo who is a great prospect himself plus Umtiti, who at his best was better than the dutchman but is more of a question mark with his knee.

xXKonan

To be fair I would have had a meltdown if we had lost out on De Jong vs De Ligt.

The Midfield was far more important to me than the CBs. Losing out on De Jong only to get someone like Rabiot would have been a punch in the gut.

Campos

For those asking (and because I can't respond both people excited and now trying to worried about the validity);

This is the info:

Announcement today is VERY UNLIKELY. What is predicted is that news outlets will soon start popping up with what was already reported by Mundo Deportivo earlier and pushing it as their own news (some already have but I mean that actual reliable people will start - Tier 3's and possibly 2's)

The player contract is still to be finalised (it is said to be a fecking insane contract offer) and as with all things, it can still fall apart (Griezmann anyone?)

The current situation is that we have contacted VdS and he has accepted an offer of £85m.
Overall knowledge on this:

I have had 2 people outside of reddit tell me that we were in for De Ligt, but the expectation was that we were plan B for him, with them both expecting Barca to be where he ends up. That was highlighted in the very first set of posts I made.

The "first offer" was sent back and then we made a formal approach.
Tonights news

I (and several others) received a note that United had made a breakthrough. Before this ever actually happened (ie: just as others were posting it) I got a message from a User that I've been speaking to since I made my first post (/u/RightSaidFred_MUFC) that he too received that info. I reached out to my United guy, who after me confirming Fred as one of my "less reliable" contacts (and I only say that because he is sharing indirect info, where as the people I have been talking to are very much in the firing line so to speak so I can't verify where it is coming from), has verified that we have jumped ahead in the De Ligt negotiations (we have made a formal bid to Ajax that has been accepted) and that proper contract discussions with the player had already begun.

/u/rightsaidfred_mufc is someone that has taken some of my other comments and actually gone and helped show that they're not right. He is also the very first person to lay out details of AWB and Daniel James to me.

At NO POINT in time has Mbappe come up (until now when he says he was lied to and deleted it after I had removed it for being low-quality transfer rumours).

Together the two of us (using all sources available) have confirmed information that each other has heard independently on several occasions (De Gea, AWB, James).
An overview of everything I've discussed so far is here: https://www.reddit.com/r/spoofex/comments/bs2j3q/summer_2019_transfer_history/

The intention is not to dupe, or cause any false hopes knowing it was wrong, and I DO TRUST FRED. I was one of the first people to try and take the idea of the Transfer Reliability Guide (originally created by /u/cananada88) and took it to spreading it out of /r/reddevils after a few years too.

If anyone needs crucifying for something going wrong on this sub as a result of muppetry and hype getting out of hand; it's my fault and mine alone, please do not harrass the people that are genuinely trying to bring some legit info into the subreddit and have been given a platform to do so.

Home of Barca Fans