Matthijs de Ligt

khaled_a_d

Ok, Lenglet costed ~40m, is almost 4 years older and seems nowhere near him in terms of quality and output in the field.

Lenglet cost 35M when he was 3 years older while looking more ready and more experienced.

In this market where a 27 old VVD costed LFC ~80m? :lol:

26 years old should always cost more than 20 years old players. Players in their prime who would still give you elite level till the end of their contract (aged 24-28) were always the most expensive players in history of football.
VVD was essentially the best CB in EPL and De Ligt shouldn't be anywhere near his price.
Never mind that part of the price was due to Liverpool messing up with his club when they agreed the deal behind his back.
If VVD is worth 80M, De Ligt should be around 50-60M.

that shoulnd't be a real problem even for this board...

When the agent is known for his greed? Known for going to the media to stir problems for the benefit of his client? Come on now.
Are you aware of Raiola at all?

VN10

Lenglet cost 35M when he was 3 years older while looking more ready and more experienced.

26 years old should always cost more than 20 years old players. Players in their prime who would still give you elite level till the end of their contract (aged 24-28) were always the most expensive players in history of football.
VVD was essentially the best CB in EPL and De Ligt shouldn't be anywhere near his price.
Never mind that part of the price was due to Liverpool messing up with his club when they agreed the deal behind his back.
If VVD is worth 80M, De Ligt should be around 50-60M.

You sir, are a mad man! No offence.

Lenglet looked more ready that De Ligt? Is your back facing the field/TV? What a mad statement to make.

De Ligt would walk into any top team, except Real Madrid. He'd be a starter for City, Liverpool, United, Chelsea, Barca, Bayern and Juve.
All of these teams want him, all of these teams know that they will potentially be buying someone who could be a starter for 15 years and a captaincy candidate for 10+ years.

You can not compare transfer fee's of exceptional talents with any other young players transfer fee's. Transfer fee's for exceptional talents like Neymar and Mbappe were also way higher than the transfer fee's for 'the elite lvl players in their prime' that same transfer window.

De Ligt is an exceptional talent. One of the biggest talents I've seen in my life (I'm in my 30's). Probably the biggest after Messi.
I know this is not a popular opinion among regular football fans, but that is solely because De Ligt is not a striker, winger or attacking midfielder.

On a side note: Frenkie de Jong for example is a big talent. But is nowhere near De Ligt's talent. I'd choose buying De Ligt over Frenkie any day of the week.

defyqa

I totally agree. Mbappe of defenders. That's why I'd rather have de Ligt than de Jong - Frenkie has "our" style, but is just a big talent, meanwhile Matthijs is generational.

Raketa10

De Ligt is an exceptional talent. One of the biggest talents I've seen in my life (I'm in my 30's). Probably the biggest after Messi.

:facepalm: And you concluded that after watching him play for 6 months in a Dutch league against world class teams like Willem II, Groningen, PEC Zwolle and almighty Graafschap! :rofl1: Basically 90% of those teams don't even try to attack against Ajax, PSV or Feynoord.On the other side in some CL games and some UEFA Nations League games he played quite poor. Not to mention that Nations League is basically slightly above friendly games level.

Look I am not saying that he is not VERY talented but saying that he is the biggest talent after Messi is beyond absurd. Also it's not always about the pure talent of the player but there is also another question present: "Does he fit here?" And in De Jong case 90% of people will agree that he fits Barca perfectly. What some people here tried to point out is the fact that it's very hard for Barca to find a midfielder that fits our style but it's a bit easier to find a CB that does.

Last edited:

VN10

I totally agree. Mbappe of defenders. That's why I'd rather have de Ligt than de Jong - Frenkie has "our" style, but is just a big talent, meanwhile Matthijs is generational.

De Ligt also has our Barca style though. He has exceptional footballing skills for a large defender, not only cause he comes from Ajax but probably since he's been a midfielder up until he was 14/15 years old.

VN10

:facepalm: And you concluded that after watching him play for 6 months in a Dutch league against world class teams like Willem II, Groningen, PEC Zwolle and almighty Graafschap! :rofl1:

Wait, didn't Neymar play in a argueably weaker league in Brasil? The whole world saw that he was something special, despite the shitty Brasil league.

If you don't see this in De Ligt, I pity you.

BTW: This is his 3rd season, he became a starter ~1,5/2 seasons ago. Remain factual please.

Edit:mad:Raketa10, asbsurd, why? I think De Ligt is a bigger talent than Mbappe for example. Mbappe relies a bit too much on his pace. Name me 3 bigger talents you've seen in your life, I'm curious.

Last edited:

Devils

He's not a 10+ year solution.

His agent is notorious for offering his clients to other clubs.

If he sign him, he will probably be here 3-4 years and then Raiola will start offering him elsewhere.

It would be absolutely stupid to bank on him being a long-term solution. And that is why I don't want to sign this guy.

khaled_a_d

:facepalm: And you concluded that after watching him play for 6 months in a Dutch league against world class teams like Willem II, Groningen, PEC Zwolle and almighty Graafschap! :rofl1: Basically 90% of those teams don't even try to attack against Ajax, PSV or Feynoord.

On the other side in some CL games and some UEFA Nations League games he played quite poor. I am not saying that he is not VERY talented but saying that he is the biggest talent after Messi is beyond absurd.

Don't feed the troll

VN10

He's not a 10+ year solution.

His agent is notorious for offering his clients to other clubs.

If he sign him, he will probably be here 3-4 years and then Raiola will start offering him elsewhere.

It would be absolutely stupid to bank on him being a long-term solution. And that is why I don't want to sign this guy.

Raiola is not his agent, he is merely a 3rd party advisor in the next transfer deal of De Ligt.
I said 'potentially' btw, players that stay for 10 years at a club are rare nowadays.

Nothanks

Most of us have been on this forum or other forums long enough to know that players dubbed as "generational talents" typically fade away after a season or two.

its flavor of the season, maybe he'll become world class and we'll regret it but doesn't mean newer and potentially better targets might appear in a season or two...

i remember when lucas was dubbed better than neymar when they were breaking out.... hell media was spinning that we get neymar real madrid gets lucas and it'd be the new messi vs ronaldo
bojan was supposed to be better than messi

remember halilovic?

Last edited:

Raketa10

Wait, didn't Neymar play in a argueably weaker league in Brasil? The whole world saw that he was something special, despite the shitty Brasil league.

If you don't see this in De Ligt, I pity you.

BTW: This is his 3rd season, he became a starter ~1,5/2 seasons ago. Remain factual please.

Edit:mad:Raketa10, asbsurd, why? I think De Ligt is a bigger talent than Mbappe for example. Mbappe relies a bit too much on his pace. Name me 3 bigger talents you've seen in your life, I'm curious.

3 bigger talents than De Ligt? :rofl1: Seriously? Do you want 20 or 30 guys who were more talented? You my friend are a world class TROLL!

VN10

Most of us have been on this forum or other forums long enough to know that players dubbed as "generational talents" typically fade away after a season or two.

its flavor of the season, maybe he'll become world class and we'll regret it but doesn't mean newer and potentially better targets might appear in a season or two...

i remember when lucas was dubbed better than neymar when they were breaking out.... hell media was spinning that we get neymar real madrid gets lucas and it'd be the new messi vs ronaldo
bojan was supposed to be better than messi

remember halilovic?

I never thought Halilovic, Lucas or Bojan were exceptional talents.
Make up your own mind, don't copy what the media says. The media puts those kind of tags on player, just to sell more papers.

If you have been on forums for so long like you said, you should know this.

Home of Barca Fans