Mavericky Puig

Bobo32

Look, the reason people like Puig is because he's dynamic and entertaining, which is why a LOT of us watch footie. I'd rather watch a team lose playing exciting football than win playing sterile.

The best coaches can do both, but are paid/hired primarily to win.

I didn't watch today's match yet but Puig appeared twice in the highlights. First, with a lovely backheel trap/flick to Dest after recovering the ball in Levante's box. Second, his run with Fati, drawing a defender wide with his run, making it easier for Fati to score.

Two small nice things, he also ran correctly like that another time, when Depay got a free kick instead of scoring or passing.
He himself was found in a similar position with the ball at his feet and one good run, he feinted almost Messi-like, got between a couple of defenders and almost scored, it was a true highlight of the game.

mc_lovin

No doubt he had a good game. I am pleased for him, him performing well is good for Barcelona after all.

The same problem still remains for him though. His competition is younger and better by the looks of it.

Porque

Let's not forget that he come on in a game that was won against an opponent that never tried to nullify our game.

Now saying that, it goes back to a suggestion before. I think Puig best position is to be higher up the pitch where he can be a livewire in the final third while turning his pressing to our advantage.

I think that Coutinho role is perfect for him, and we need to see more of it. Let the two rotate here and both bring different advantanges.

Gavi is showing a good level, while Pedri and de Jong still have to come back. Nico had a better game and will continue to grow. Alot of nice problems for Koeman in midfield, but as I say it was only Levante after two draws to Granada and Cadiz. Sooooo ..... tranquilo.

khaled_a_d

No doubt he had a good game. I am pleased for him, him performing well is good for Barcelona after all.

The same problem still remains for him though. His competition is younger and better by the looks of it.

Only if you believe he is a natural midfielder, which IMO he isn't. He is a natural attacker or a 4th midfielder with some freedom.

Look at the 1st page of the thread :

Riqui, 16, born in August 1999, normally plays at false 9 with striker Abel Ruiz on the left and winger Jordi Mboula on the right, but he can also play in midfield.

This is written by non other than navid who single handedly hyped him non stop on Barca twitter

Bobo32

Let's not forget that he come on in a game that was won against an opponent that never tried to nullify our game.

Now saying that, it goes back to a suggestion before. I think Puig best position is to be higher up the pitch where he can be a livewire in the final third while turning his pressing to our advantage.

I think that Coutinho role is perfect for him, and we need to see more of it. Let the two rotate here and both bring different advantanges.

Gavi is showing a good level, while Pedri and de Jong still have to come back. Nico had a better game and will continue to grow. Alot of nice problems for Koeman in midfield, but as I say it was only Levante after two draws to Granada and Cadiz. Sooooo ..... tranquilo.

I think it was one of the best games I saw Barcelona play in the last years, after maybe the worst performance I ever saw them play.
It was better with the switch in min.60, where Gavi played in Coutinhos RW position, but the first 60 were really good too. Everything had to do with the midfield.

mc_lovin

Only if you believe he is a natural midfielder, which IMO he isn't. He is a natural attacker or a 4th midfielder with some freedom.

Does that solve his problems though? How do we effectively start him? No sane coach would build his team around forward Puig or give him all the freedoms as a midfielder.

442 diamond would be interesting if we had someone for RW. But then again Gavi and Pedri would both be better choices there as well.

Last edited:

Porque

I think it was one of the best games I saw Barcelona play in the last years, after maybe the worst performance I ever saw them play.
It was better with the switch in min.60, where Gavi played in Coutinhos RW position, but the first 60 were really good too. Everything had to do with the midfield.

We were dynamic and pressing. One of the effects of being Messi-less and playing like a team. We have had spurts of this with Koeman. I think this is the only other game in his tenure where I have had this sensation (with brooding Messi playing ala CR7).

https://www.transfermarkt.com/spielbericht/index/spielbericht/3431935

khaled_a_d

Does that solve his problems though? How do we effectively start him? No sane coach would build his team around forward Puig or give him all the freedoms as a midfielder.

442 diamond would be interesting if we had someone for RW. But then again Gavi and Pedri would both be better choices there as well.

We don't, he will be our new Roberto. A fairly versatile substitute with certain role in the team, hopefully this time he won't be forced as starter
He seems content with just being at barca, and teams don't need 20 starting players.

frostdude1

Any sheep in here who?s been brainwashed by koeman does not deserve to cheer this kid when he inevitably becomes a starter and a more important part of our team with a new manager.

Sailor Mars

He still has the same problem he had a couple seasons ago. He can't play any defense. He runs around to press but it comes across like the least effective press considering all the effort he puts into it.

serghei

We don't, he will be our new Roberto. A fairly versatile substitute with certain role in the team, hopefully this time he won't be forced as starter
He seems content with just being at barca, and teams don't need 20 starting players.

Hell, if he's a squad player who can impact games when he comes on regularly, I'd say he'll be a success. After all, the team is much more than just 11 players.

It's good enough for me and would be a fairer assessment of him and his skills.

Home of Barca Fans