Mavericky Puig

Iniesta Ultra

Well the board were smart enough to put a buy back clause in, they just need to activate it but they'd rather waste 60M on Olmo smfh.

Bobo32

I'll take golden barca with turnovers over worthless gimpball possession.

And Puig can be sloppy a lot too but that's mostly because he's in MLS and knows can afford to.
In hindsight it looks a little bit silly to have complained about Iniesta, but back then we had pretty much the perfect team and not so much else to be annoyed about.
He was perhaps the one with the best technique and vision (apart from Messi) but made a lot of silly mistakes, because he played so loosely.

Iniesta Ultra

In hindsight it looks a little bit silly to have complained about Iniesta, but back then we had pretty much the perfect team and not so much else to be annoyed about.
He was perhaps the one with the best technique and vision (apart from Messi) but made a lot of silly mistakes, because he played so loosely.

The success rate of quality linkup play is what matters and no one will ever get better than Messi and Iniesta. Can't expect perfection all the time, and even if that were possible that would get boring quickly.

Bobo32

The success rate of quality linkup play is what matters and no one will ever get better than Messi and Iniesta. Can't expect perfection all the time, and even if that were possible that would get boring quickly.
Xavi was almost perfect (and perhaps a bit boring), Busquets was a genius while making no errors almost, and Messi too of course. Alves was creative while having a low error percentage, and players like Pedro, Villa and Maxwell were very competent and rarely looked silly.
Iniesta attempted a lot of silly things which sometimes looked really silly, he looked weak and unaware sometimes when he lost the ball, and sometimes his attempted passes could be seen were untimed and badly performed - because he played on (artistic) intuition, almost like a painter making strokes while closing his eyes.
Of course he was a crucial and perfect fit for that team, but back then, he was often the one I moaned a little bit about.

I think whether you prefer Xavi or Iniesta has a lot to do with taste. Perhaps I am a little bit more of a Iniesta guy too, anyway.

Andresito

Staff member
Judging by creativity and fearlessness of making difficult passes Iniesta is first, Puig second, Xavi third.

Judging by technical accuracy Xavi first, Iniesta second, Puig third.
You talking current Xavi or prime Xavi? I suggest you take a look at Xavi's amount of assists under Pep. Without looking I would bet Puig, even in MLS, is nowhere near those numbers.

Bobo32

You talking current Xavi or prime Xavi? I suggest you take a look at Xavi's amount of assists under Pep. Without looking I would bet Puig, even in MLS, is nowhere near those numbers.
I felt you were sometimes almost as vicious and angry as some of the worst posters on this forum, but I never thought you were as stupid.

Porque

Quality was so high back then that Cesc was bang average (outside stats) and Thiago failed in the short space- comparatively.

We had perfected a very high level niche style of football that few could play at, and many failed at.

Andresito

Staff member
I felt you were sometimes almost as vicious and angry as some of the worst posters on this forum, but I never thought you were as stupid.
Stupid claims the guy who thinks Puig is world class with literally nothing that backs it. I'm still waiting for his big transfer (City, Liverpool etc) as a correction of how Barca made the big mistake of letting him go.

Stupid might be the wrong word here though, delusional fits better for you and the Puigistas. A very obscure player to be a fanboy of since all clams are based on ifs and buts.

vegitot

Bruh just let it go. This guy is near 25 (older than Haaland, Bellingham...) and plays in MLS.

You think all European clubs could ignore such great player like you describes???

Bobo32

Stupid claims the guy who thinks Puig is world class with literally nothing that backs it. I'm still waiting for his big transfer (City, Liverpool etc) as a correction of how Barca made the big mistake of letting him go.

Stupid might be the wrong word here though, delusional fits better for you and the Puigistas. A very obscure player to be a fanboy of since all clams are based on ifs and buts.
I am not waiting for any transfer. I enjoy watching these clips where he makes brilliant stuff every week over there. I don't care about the level.
Since you didn't seem to understand what was stupid about your post, it was comparing assists with Xavi.

Andresito

Staff member
I am not waiting for any transfer. I enjoy watching these clips where he makes brilliant stuff every week over there. I don't care about the level.
Since you didn't seem to understand what was stupid about your post, it was comparing assists with Xavi.
There was also the claim that Xavi wasn't as creative and fearless as Puig, two qualities that are heavily correlated with chances created and thus assists. What use do you have of a player who is fearless if it doesn't end up in anything concrete?

Bobo32

Quality was so high back then that Cesc was bang average (outside stats) and Thiago failed in the short space- comparatively.

We had perfected a very high level niche style of football that few could play at, and many failed at.
Yeah, Cescs flaws were very apparent then (a lovely player of course, and him getting the false 9/10, often in tandem with Messi, was a bit genius).
Back then, I thought that Thiago should maybe get a little bit more playing minutes on Iniestas behalf. He was less sloppy with the ball but just as brilliant, although he didn't have the intuitively perfect movement without the ball or the big-cock calmness that Iniesta had already developed then...

Bobo32

There was also the claim that Xavi wasn't as creative and fearless as Puig, two qualities that are heavily correlated with chances created and thus assists. What use do you have of a player who is fearless if it doesn't end up in anything concrete?
He of course wasn't, at least not since after Rijkaard. It is mostly a stylistic trait, though.
Check how many times Xavi got the ball in those games, how many players of brilliant quality he had in front of him, how many goals Messi scored and so on. The amount of assists say close to nothing about those things. Xavi was an artist who begun to almost autistically play very robotically, and he destroyed football with it.

Andresito

Staff member
He of course wasn't, at least not since after Rijkaard. It is mostly a stylistic trait, though.
Check how many times Xavi got the ball in those games, how many players of brilliant quality he had in front of him, how many goals Messi scored and so on. The amount of assists say close to nothing about those things. Xavi was an artist who begun to almost autistically play very robotically, and he destroyed football with it.
Stylistic trait that can also look amateurish if it's not backed up by having great understanding of the game.

I hope you don't believe Puig would reach those numbers had he taken Xavi's place in the XI.

Home of Barca Fans