Mehdi Benatia

How did Bayern pull this off, in a mere two days? Reschke only left Munich on Friday, I believe? How did they, a late comer manage to kick everyone else out of the race with this kind of ridiculously low fee, in this kind of lightening fast speed.

This Bayernblitzkrieg is amazing. This deserves a Harvard MBA case study.

We got a 31 year old CB for 20 million euros while Bayern are getting a world class CB in his prime for 30 million. It really is amazing business from them.

Huge mistake by us to not try to get him IMO. You can't use the price argument or the "wasn't available" argument to justify us not trying to get him, because he apparently only costs 10 million more than Mathieu, and he clearly is available.

Last edited:

Tomchin

We got a 31 year old CB for 20 million euros while Bayern are getting a world class CB in his prime for 30 million. It really is amazing business from them.

Huge mistake by us to not try to get him IMO. You can't use the price argument or the "wasn't available" argument to justify us not trying to get him, because he apparently only costs 10 million more than Mathieu, and he clearly is available.
Let's wait for the final numbers before drawing any conclusions. I'll be very surprised if Bayern get Benatia for less than 40M.

BenRobbins

Nobody has even bid for him yet according to GDM? How can two reliable sources such as sky sports and sportbild get it wrong so badly? Apparently it is between Bayern, Chelsea and Manchester united and Roma have said a deadline of the 24th of August.

Martindn

If he was available for the money stated he would of been snapped up ages ago. No way would Roma let him go for less than david luiz i mean why, hes 3 times the defender and you have seemingly 2 desperate clubs in us and Barcelona not to mention Bayern.

L

linetty

Even at 40M its a bargain. Mathieu + Vermalen = 1/2 Benatia.
Can't you understand that one world class defender is not an answer to our defensive problems? With proper tactics even Mathieu can look like Benatia.

ebc_99

It will be very annoying if Bayern get him for 40m never mind 30m, but so far it is just media talk, so we will have to see if they can pull it off. But I am still pretty happy with Mathieu and Vermaelen who I think will surprise people by how good they will be.

Martindn

It will be very annoying if Bayern get him for 40m never mind 30m, but so far it is just media talk, so we will have to see if they can pull it off. But I am still pretty happy with Mathieu and Vermaelen who I think will surprise people by how good they will be.

Vermaelen getting onto the pitch will surprise people :lol:

messi2140

6racies Xavi
Can't you understand that one world class defender is not an answer to our defensive problems? With proper tactics even Mathieu can look like Benatia.
The tactics were any average defender will look like a WC defender is if you park the bus , playing on counter attacks and I'm pretty sure Barcelona wont play like that. You have to be a really good defender if you want to play in a high line while both backs are upfront , but hopefully they prove us wrong. Im not gonna say now that mathieu and vermealen are sh*t , but I don't have high hopes either.

Last edited:
The tactics were any average defender will look like a WC defender is if you park the bus , playing on counter attacks and I'm pretty sure Barcelona wont play like that. You have to be a really good defender if you want to play in a high line while both backs are upfront , but hopefully they prove us wrong. Im not gonna say now that mathieu and vermealen are sh*t , but I don't have high hopes either.

+∞

Alarcón

No, if everyone presses like hell like they did when Pep was here, the defenders will inevitably look better because they're supported by other players defending as well. I still remember how our defenders barely had anything to do during some games and that's one of the reasons why Piqué became Piquenbauer.

If Lucho reintroduces that kind of pressing and style of play then our defense won't be an issue this season at all and buying a 50m Benatia wouldn't make too much of a difference.

I've watched Benatia several times this season and while he's a world class defender, he's overrated. Rudi plays a similar system to Barça's and the midfielders and full backs help the defense A LOT, like all the time, so obviously their defenders are not getting exposed and everyone thinks they're Maldini reincarnated.

He would certainly be the best defender at Bayern and at Barça as well, but people are overhyping him.

Last edited:

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
I've watched Benatia several times this season and while he's a world class defender, he's overrated. Rudi plays a similar system to Barça's and the midfielders and full backs help the defense A LOT, like all the time, so obviously their defenders are not getting exposed and everyone thinks they're Maldini reincarnated.

Exactly. If you notice, Castan, who looked mediocre under Zeman's kamikaze style, looks just as good as Benatia under Rudi Garcia. Garcia's tactics have definitely made a difference.

shogunruax

Breaking @DiMarzio: Bayern Munchen made a bid of €25M to AS Roma for #Benatia. Tomorrow meeting between Benatia agent and Roma director

R

Ryu Hayabusa

Latest news in Germany is that Bayern have reached an agreement with Godin and Atletico für 36M €.
:)

Home of Barca Fans