Memphis Depay

behindbrowneyes

Well, Camp Nou crowd seemed to like it and this is what counts. He really is a low-budget Neymar in that sense. Some will hate it, some will like it.

People should keep in mind that he joined on a free. Can't expect him to be prime Ronaldinho. He is a hard worker and is here to help the club in these dark times, that's why I like him. At a current level of finances and footballing level I'd even say Memphis and Barca are a pretty good match.

Laplacian

He makes some stuff happen, true, but his turnover ratio is way way too high. It's pretty simple. He doesn't do enough to make us accept the amount of times he stops an attack with some bad play or bad touch.

Also, I see many extremes with him.

Let me do a BBZ and say that top-class creative forwards have like 20% awesome plays, 50% nice plays, 30% turnovers.

Depay has like 15% awesome plays (so pretty damn close to a class forward here), but only 20% nice plays, and over 60% turnovers. I don't have the exact numbers, but that's how it looks.

He tries too hard to do the difficult flamboyant stuff that he doesn't do nearly enough of the more normal good stuff and overblows his turnover ratio to more than tolerable levels.

He doesn't have the talent threshold to play the way he wants to play. It's funny watching him constantly trying to be a budget Neymar or Ronaldinho.

Bobo32

Nothing is free. Depays wage was counted towards the budget that was needed to be lowered for Messi to stay. He probably had a big sign-on, and his wage is still not official afaik. He is occupying one spot in the attack that could be used by a more developable player.

fergus90

I liked his debut, but he's mainly frustrated the fuck out of me, to be honest. Although at least he tries to make things happen and we aren't banking on another 100+ million signing to perform.

I actually think if he continues in this way, he might get sold for a fee this summer if finances show any improvement.

iniestaGOAT

I liked his debut, but he's mainly frustrated the fuck out of me, to be honest. Although at least he tries to make things happen and we aren't banking on another 100+ million signing to perform.

I actually think if he continues in this way, he might get sold for a fee this summer if finances show any improvement.

What do you mean continues this way? He has a healthy amount of goals and assists. Good luck signing 2 attackers for the first team this summer with the financial position club is in. He is gonna start for a while.

Hopefully he makes some rap songs about the team while he is here.

fergus90

What do you mean continues this way? He has a healthy amount of goals and assists. Good luck signing 2 attackers for the first team this summer with the financial position club is in. He is gonna start for a while.

Hopefully he makes some rap songs about the team while he is here.

Well he’s only on a 2 year deal and 27, so this summer it’s either gonna be a new deal or sell him so he doesn’t go for free because like you said he’s got goals and assists so there could be value.

ajnotkeith

Depay is not a player who you rely on for goalscoring output... he can support the team with a open play goal every now and then but he is not a 'killer' who you get 15 or 20 npg a season from. His numbers looked good at Lyon last season (20 goals in Ligue 1) but then you see half are penalties... his value is in assists and linking the play.

freetocan

not sure what values people see at this guy. We will see tomorrow if he would really make a difference but I definetley doubt it. Hopefully he will prove me wrong....

Porque

The way he worked that non assit was class. Dribbled his man and bounced Militao off him like Ronaldinho.

Shame about the disposession that started the countered goal.

Home of Barca Fans