Men’s shortlists for FIFA Ballon d’Or 2013 revealed

suckabov

Lemon curry?
Lahm being as flawless as he is and now even playing in midfield (until recently), I see him stealing quite a number of votes too; at least more as you would expect from a defender. For me the heart of Bayern. Either way, the Bayern players will all harm each other votes-wise.

the award is not given to the best player per se... it's given to the one who has done the best work in that particular year...
Not necessarily, as recent years have shown. Messi in 2010? The best work in that year was arguably done by treble-winning Snejder or Xaviniesta. The jury mostly just votes for whomever they think to be the best player, which is Messi, unlike the UEFA best player award, where they mostly look at who's had the best season.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Not necessarily, as recent years have shown. Messi in 2010? The best work in that year was arguably done by treble-winning Snejder or Xaviniesta. The jury mostly just votes for whomever they think to be the best player, which is Messi, unlike the UEFA best player award, where they mostly look at who's had the best season.
The award is meant to be given to the best player from the previous year... But since the ones who vote are humans, they would obviously let their heart decide their vote for them! And that's the reason it tends to be given to the best player

Paganinisrvnge

Tito doesn't deserve anything. I respect him as a person and wish him full health and all the best but he was a bad manager. He waited until the last 8 minutes to make any changes every match and was consistently bailed out by Messi. Yes, the team was poor when he got sick due to a lack of a manager but even when he was there he made poor tactical decisions and was extremely slow to react.

Also, if anyone on Bayern wins the ballon d'or; it should be Phillip Lahm.

K

kingleo

Tito doesn't deserve anything. I respect him as a person and wish him full health and all the best but he was a bad manager. He waited until the last 8 minutes to make any changes every match and was consistently bailed out by Messi. Yes, the team was poor when he got sick due to a lack of a manager but even when he was there he made poor tactical decisions and was extremely slow to react.

This. I don't have anything against the guy personally, feel sorry for him and wish him all the best, but he wasn't a good coach.

Last edited:

pEllee

It can't be repeated enough; Would Ribery be one of the favorites if his team didn't win the Champions league? Of course not. Was he one of the best players in that Champions league season? No, he wasn't even Bayern's best player.

If we're talking about attacking players, I'd say that even Robben was superior in europe that season.

God, this Ribery hype is really annoying.

Last edited:
K

kingleo

It can't be repeated enough; Would Ribery be one of the favorites if his team didn't win the Champions league? Of course not. Was he one of the best players in that Champions league season? No, he wasn't even Bayern's best player.

If we're talking about attacking players, I'd say that even Robben was superior in europe that season.

God, this Ribery hype is really annoying.

Robben only got into the Bayern team because Kroos got injured! Robben was on the bench at the emirates where Kroos scored a great goal in that game, then got injured shortly after which allowed Robben to get into the team! Robben only really contributed in the last few months of the season. Overall Ribery was much better.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
[SUP][/SUP]
This is an overview of different bookies' odds for the Ballon d'Or. A couple of days ago, Messi was the clear favorite with Ronaldo and Ribéry pretty much sharing the predicted 2nd place. Wondering what has happened since the shortlist was released.
http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/ballon-dor/player-of-the-year

Wonder why these bookies are rating Ribery ahead of Messi all of sudden, with the release of the shortlist? I mean, it is not like they weren't sure whether Ribery was going to be part of the 23-men shortlist.

Do they know something we don't?

pEllee

Robben only got into the Bayern team because Kroos got injured! Robben was on the bench at the emirates where Kroos scored a great goal in that game, then got injured shortly after which allowed Robben to get into the team! Robben only really contributed in the last few months of the season. Overall Ribery was much better.

Did you even read my post? Yes, Ribery was better in the Bundesliga, no doubt. He would never even be considered if he hadn't won the Champions league though. And I don't know about you but if he wasn't even close to being their best player in the Champions league then why does he deserve the award?

Because, let's face it, this joke of an award is all about big titles.

Messi to win it again.

EDIT: I really don't like this idea that you have to win something to be considered. Overall, Ronaldo had a great year, ended up without any titles but his scoring record is something you can't argue against.

Ibrahimovic has had better years than Ribery in the past, yet he was never considered because of a lack of CL title. Bullshit award. Not that Ibra deserved it either but you get my point.

-

How the hell is Xavi still on the list?

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans