Mikel Arteta

Cataloniakid

No...he is average by the standards we now set.....he is quite talented, but players Like him are a dime a dozen in Spain and he's nothing special.

Cataloniakid

I don´t think there is room for Arteta in the Spanish National team..he is a good player but his position on the pitch is probably the easiest position to cover for Del Bosque...there are so many good midfielders in the "LIGA" ..even if he continues to play well for the rest of the season

Arteta is a good player but I think he wont get called by Del Bosque..unfortunately there isn´t room for all the top players.

Given the options we have and Arteta's age, I doubt we will pick him and invest time in him now even if he plays like Messi on roids for the next few seasons

Last edited:
B

barcelonista

Mata = attacking midfielder

Silva = attacking midfielder

Cesc = attacking midfielder/false striker

Arteta = deep lying CM who can play as DM. Wilshere's position for us last season, and Busquets' position for Barca

He would be like Senna and Busquets have been for Spain. Shield the ball, spread play, pass sideways and back to keeper and never get dispossessed.

Mate. Many people believe even Xabi Alonso is surplus to requirements and Busquets should play as a lone holding midfielder. So if it wasn't for del Bosque's cowardness, even Xabi Alonso would sit on the bench. Spain doesn't need any more midfielders who operate deep in the middle. Especially with Villa's injury now, Spain needs more power in the attacking third (hence Mata, Silva, Fabregas). Arteta's position is well covered by Xabi, Busquets, Xavi and if it has to be, Iniesta as well, who is as excellent as it can get as a deep lying playmaker. And if del Bosque needs another proper DM, there is Javi Martinez as well. Arteta has no chance to get called up.

Robbie

Even Cesc, who is undoubtedly world class, will probably not start for Spain. So what chances does someone like Arteta have? If he was English, he'd have a good chance.

But Spain are in a golden generation especially when it comes to midfielders, I'm not even sure Arteta is among the top Spanish midfielders at the moment.

If he held any other nationality in Europe, from Dutch to German, he would be an international. Unfortunately, since he played for the Spanish U21's, due to some obscure English FA rule he's ineligible.

zanela

Iniesta>Xavi>Busquets>Fabregas>Silva>Alonso>Mata>Thiago>Javi Martinez>Navas>Cazorla>someone I might be forgetting atm>Arteta

So basically, Del Bosque might be a bit too busy to notice. At least one if not both of Silva and Fabregas won't make the starting lineup, Arteta doesn't have a chance in hell. He probably won't even make the 23-men squad. There are too many Spanish midfielders better than him.

If we're taking of natural CM's and also those who can play there..

Xavi>Iniesta>Busquets>Alonso>Thiago>B.Valero>J.Martinez>Cesc>Arteta. (the rest you've listed don't/can't operate in deep midfield)
imho
:D

dalitis8

Banned
Good, reliable and consistent performer. Not as flashy, or as elegant as some of the other Spanish midfielders though.

He is just terribly unlucky to have been born Spanish in a way, in terms of international opportunities.

Myrmecophile

Mr. Japes
Unfortunately, since he played for the Spanish U21's, due to some obscure English FA rule he's ineligible.
No, he could play for England but the home nations have an agreement not use any naturalised players. Since he would have a British passport, he'd be equally eligible for Scotland, Wales, England, etc.

Hatem Ben Arfa

No, he could play for England but the home nations have an agreement not use any naturalised players. Since he would have a British passport, he'd be equally eligible for Scotland, Wales, England, etc.

sounds stupid to have such an agreement. he would likely choose England over the others, and England could do with a player of such technical class.

B

barcelonista

England wouldn't look too bad in 2012 if they had him:

---------------Welbeck---------------
Young----------Rooney--------Walcott
--------------------------------------
-----------Arteta----Wilshere---------
--------------------------------------
Cole------Smalling---Jones-----Richards

England really lack someone like him. A CM playmaker. Something only Spain seem to produce in recent years. All other high profile midfielders like Özil, Sneijder, Kaka are #10s / CAMs, operating too high up the pitch. Decent central midfielders except the Spanish ones? Hm. Schweinsteiger, Nuri Sahin (Dortmund form), Modric (personally I haven't watched him but he's being hyped a lot recently) and who else?

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
Everyone is talking about Van Persie, but without a doubt our best player has been Arteta. Consistently keeps our passing game flowing, shifts in and out of gaps we leave open and covers every inch of grass week in week out. Without him we would be bottom of the league. It's like this season he has a point to prove to the world, and with big matches like the CL at the San Siro coming up, Del Bosque will notice.

Please tell me the other two videos are better than the Dortmund one. Not sure why you mentioned it since it wasn't by any means a memorable performance. What stood out for me was his pass to van Persie and him getting injured. Possibly also how he decided to dribble in his own half, his not so special passes and his fouls. He wasn't bad by any stretch, but I expected something way better since you want him in la furia roja. Judging by that video there's about 20 better Spanish CMs.

Edit: Second video not that special either, although a little bit better

Last edited:

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
He'll retire without an international cap, shame really.

it's a shame for him, but truthfully he's never been better than any of Spain's centrocampistas/pivotes that have played during his career.

Baraja, Albelda, Mendieta, Xavi, Xabi, Senna, Busquets, Javi Martinez.

then there's mediapuntas like Valeron, Iniesta and Cesc who also play as part of the midfield unit and are also a class above Arteta.

he's good. but they're all great.

Bergkamp10

He's nearly 30 so his chance to play for Spain have gone which is a shame cos he's really talented.

I wasn't that happy about him when he first signed but he's been brilliant. I thought he was an average player but he's class, the form of Song this season is basically down to him. He's not spectacular but he does his role well and creates a lot of chances. He steadies the midfield and gives it balance, its a shame we couldn't have signed him ages ago. Will be interesting to see how he does when Wilshere returns cos Ramsey will be the one dropped. Guess we'll see Wilshere moved into a more forward position.

Home of Barca Fans