Mikel Arteta

Robbie

Funny thing is, everything you guys are saying about Arteta's averageness is exactly what 90% of Arsenal fans thought years ago and until he actually played for us. It's not that he improved, but that he was finally surrounded by players who pass the ball and in a team with a philosophy that uses his talents properly. For the last 10 years he was at Glasgow Rangers then Everton. As a CM trying to showcase talent, the worst clubs to join are thuggish northern hoofball donkeys. He would be watching the ball sailing back and forth over his head, called to action for free kicks and corners.

He never got to play for Spain so the moment he chose Rangers, it was a downward spiral into obscurity. Seriously, this the first season we will actually get to see Arteta really showing what he can do. I labeled him as average years ago and I can admit that I was proven wrong. He still has work to do, and with big games coming up that millions will be watching, he has the perfect platform to shut everyone else up.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Funny thing is, everything you guys are saying about Arteta's averageness is exactly what 90% of Arsenal fans thought years ago and until he actually played for us. It's not that he improved, but that he was finally surrounded by players who pass the ball and in a team with a philosophy that uses his talents properly. For the last 10 years he was at Glasgow Rangers then Everton. As a CM trying to showcase talent, the worst clubs to join are thuggish northern hoofball donkeys. He would be watching the ball sailing back and forth over his head, called to action for free kicks and corners.

He never got to play for Spain so the moment he chose Rangers, it was a downward spiral into obscurity. Seriously, this the first season we will actually get to see Arteta really showing what he can do. I labeled him as average years ago and I can admit that I was proven wrong. He still has work to do, and with big games coming up that millions will be watching, he has the perfect platform to shut everyone else up.

he's not average.

he's good.

no, he's great.

but the players ahead of him for Spain are fucking brilliant.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
Possibly, but he'd have to give some truly world class performances to make it into the Spain squad.

Maria

Even if he is brilliant this season, I don't think that he should be taken at Euro. Spain has Xavi, Xabi, Javi and Busi who are the best in their position and Thiago and Cesc on the bench who can play as a CM, AM, false 8, LW or RW. They should be calling Jose Enrique, Muniain, Soldado and another CB(this is the hardest part because Botia has been pretty bad this season).

The squad for Euro 2012 should be something like this:
GK: Casillas, VV, Reina
CB&FB: Pique, Puyol, Ramos, Arbeloa, JE, Alba
CM: Busi, Javi, Xavi, Xabi, Thiago
AM: Silva, Iniesta, Mata, Cesc
RW&LW:pedro, Muniain, Navas/Callejon/Villa
NR9: Soldado, Llorente

Del Bosque should realise that he needs a more balanced squad and that is imposible to play Busi, Xabi, Xavi, Iniesta, Silva and Mata/Cesc at the same time and not become narrow. Barca can do this because we have Messi, Alexis and Dani and and even than we have problem against teams who park the bus..that's why someone like Muniain, Pedro or Jordi Alba are very important for Spain..especially now, when they don't have Villa anymore to save them.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Ander Herrera > Mikel Arteta

don't see how or why Mikel should start for Spain..

Ander Herrera > a lot of people. Kid is a baller.

But he never proven himself against Stoke City. So only Arteta and Mr. 9 Cesc should be starting to be fair.

A

ArsenalN5

But he never proven himself against Stoke City. So only Arteta and Mr. 9 Cesc should be starting to be fair.

Valencia will soon be a better team than Barcelona. Because they will have beaten the mighty Stoke City on a cold night at the Britannia. (what numpty said that again? was it Jamie Redknapp?)

dalitis8

Banned

Like Meta said, people in here are not claiming that Arteta is average. They are saying that he is pretty good (now, how good is a matter of debate)

But for my money at least, he is probably past his best (2006/07 season) and is almost 30. He also had some injuries in the past couple of years that set him a bit back. He has a better chance now to showcase his talent at Arsenal, but as everyone is saying in here, there are just so many world-class midfielders hailing from Spain nowadays (surely the most talented crop of midfielders in football history) Those that are surely ahead of him at the CM position are Xavi, Iniesta, Alonso and Busi. Cesc (I am sure you 've heard of him) can also play that position. And you also have some great AMs, that will surely get the call-up. Silva, Mata, Cazorla

You also have some other CMs, DMs that can be called up: (Thiago, Martinez, Valero)

It's not that Arteta isn't any good, far from it. It's just the VdB can only call so many midfielders.

dalitis8

Banned
Valencia will soon be a better team than Barcelona. Because they will have beaten the mighty Stoke City on a cold night at the Britannia. (what numpty said that again? was it Jamie Redknapp?)

I am not so sure that Valencia will actually achieve that feat.

But it seems that both Stoke and Valencia will be up for the game, making it a very interesting match-up.

X

xaviniesta

ander is indeed fanatastic. no need to compare him with arteta. one will probably never play with spain, other has a bright future and has already carried U21 to euro cup.

mr. 9 cesc = cesc fabregas CF

Last edited:

Maria

I'm just sayin'

Thiago has the potential to be the best midfielder in the world and that's why he should be taken at the EC in 2012..that experience will be very important for him when he will take Xavi's place in the 2014's WC. The same goes for Muniain.

Home of Barca Fans