New goalkeeper?

draconifire

NTC with a Positive attitude
Marcin Bulka has been mentioned again today/yesterday. And again, may just be a lazy rumour, Polish link and Pino Zahavi client.

But alas, without further to do.

1.99m height? Yes please.
I quite like what I saw from all the clips on youtube.
Definitely an upgrade over Pena. With the number of penalties and close-range shots he has stopped, he is probably better than Mats.

Messi983

Zion Suzuki FTW.

I think he's my new favorite, and not just because you don't have a chance to sign a black Japanese GK very often.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

- Diogo Costa: Mendes is his agent, it is normal to track him but Porto demands are massive, very unlikely.

- Joan García: Espanyol won't negotiate with us, he is Catalan though, youth product of FC Damn. He has 30M release clause that increases to 35M if he plays for Spain, did Espanyol put bigger one for us? Fairly young at 23. He shares agent with Olmo and Faye.

- Álvaro Valles: Internet favourite, great past season with Las Palmas, was he a one season wonder? 27 so perfect age, out of contract next summer but strong links to Betis. No strong ties to his agency, we only worked with them with Barca B players like Jutgla.

- Bart Verbruggen: Great with his feet, young with potential, top 5 league experience, will likely be top 3 most expensive GK in history if he is sold. . Doubtful considering cost.

- Mio Backhaus: German talent, was on loan last year and did well, but didn’t play at all this year. Maybe if this change we might think about him but tough to sell the idea of signing Bremen's back up GK.

Last 2 has agents with zero connections to us, and generally both are small agency.

Out if those 5, only the Spanish duo makes any sense tbh.

Backhaus lol love the name 🤣🤣

Diogo Costa good gk, guy saved all 3 pens against Slovenia 🥸

khaled_a_d

Zion Suzuki FTW.

I think he's my new favorite, and not just because you don't have a chance to sign a black Japanese GK very often.

He has been long linked to Manu, and he rejected them.

I doubt he will come here with no promise of being a starter, he could have achieved that in summer of 2023 with Manu

Porque

I doubt he will come here with no promise of being a starter, he could have achieved that in summer of 2023 with Manu

Can see why Man Utd would want him. He looks as flamboyant and sketchy as Onana.

Utd are another club like us that really struggled to fill the void of a proper goalkeeper since Schemichel left. Only one that really had been a success was old man Van der Sar.

malvolio

Better than us, we never had an elite one.
What does elite mean for you? Ter Stegen is included in every top 10(based on last 10-15 seasons) by any footballer, manager or footballing publication out there.

Maybe you confuse it with "all time greats"? Neuer, Buffon, Casillas etc are in that category.

TheStig

Don't care about some lists, I watched all the humiliations that MATS gave us and he can't compare with Valdes, let alone those legends. We never had a long term top 5 GK in the world except last few seasons of VV (don't know how Zubi was rated tbh), that's what I meant. Every top club had multiple legendary goalkeepers bar us, it's quite interesting that it never happened at least in the near past.

malvolio

Don't care about some lists, I watched all the humiliations that MATS gave us and he can't compare with Valdes, let alone those legends. We never had a long term top 5 GK in the world except last few seasons of VV (don't know how Zubi was rated tbh), that's what I meant. Every top club had multiple legendary goalkeepers bar us, it's quite interesting that it never happened at least in the near past.
Well, whether you like it or not he is rated by his peers, managers and football journalists. So it's not some lists on the Internet.

You comparing Valdes with the best team + manager vs what Stegen had.

Agreed that we usually had shit GKs though. Stegen is one of the best we've had.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Doubt we're going to get rid of ter Stegen soon anyway. I assume the plan for a new GK would be for him to properly compete with ter Stegen and perhaps they do a split where ter Stegen only plays league games whilst the new GK plays Copa + CL like they did back in 2014.

Windhook

The one and only name I consider to be future great Barca GK is Emiliano Martinez, but he's going to cost gazzilions to sign. His contract runs out in 2029. Barca have never invested heavy in GK in history and also depends on how far MATS can recover from this injury.

IIRC Rustu Recber was the last GK that was signed as "one of the best GK" in 2003.

Messi983

Not many GKs in their early twenties will come here to warm the bench.

We have two options imo.

1. We fully commit to move on from MATS by 2026 at latest (doing that next season is almost impossible after his injury and probably also from financial perspective) which is easier said than done. Then we can sign a younger GK next year and either leave him on loan at current club or bring him to play in Copa and few Liga games for a season to adapt before he takes over.

2. We still believe in MATS longer term but will keep around Szcz (depending on how he does this season and if he'll want to continue playing) or bring another veteran GK to compete with him while at the same time continue to scout younger GKs and maybe sign a cheapish talent or two and see how he/they (and possibly Kochen) will develop in a few years.

Backhaus (BTW, he's half-Japanese too) is really the only one from that reported shortlist (In no way I believe these are the only names Deco is tracking though) posted above that fits this criteria. But he only played one season for the worst team in Eredivisie so would def need to be loaned and get experience on a higher level. There are surely other GKs who are far more ready but would also need to continue developing for a further year or two.

I would prefer the first option (eventhough I'm not a MATS hater) but second looks more likely to me.

Home of Barca Fans