Official Board Agree To CVC Deal

jamrock

can we imagine a world were Barcelona goes 9-10 year include our current 3, without winning la Liga, because we sold everything good we have, then we finally stabilize.

their is bidding war going on for tier one talent in 2031/2032, and those players are like, I'm not gonna go with X clubs that have been in the mix for years, I'll go with Barcelona.

I mean one or two players might, like a few choose man utd, even though they had to pay $$$ to sign them, not as much as bartomeu ofc lol but $$$.

That's definitely the way to go, I see the error in my thinking.

Windhook

As said Atletico are an example of how clubs can grow if managed correctly in comparison to likes of Valencia.

I gave Valencia as an example of doomsday scenario for Barca. I'm not comparing their stature as of today at all, but 20 years ago Valencia were among the top clubs in the world. Not saying they attracted the best players on the planet, but had a solid philosophy like Atletico Madrid of today. Bad management lead to their current situation.

IMO Deportivo La Coruna never reached that status of big club.

JamDav1982

I gave Valencia as an example of doomsday scenario for Barca. I'm not comparing their stature as of today at all, but 20 years ago Valencia were among the top clubs in the world. Not saying they attracted the best players on the planet, but had a solid philosophy like Atletico Madrid of today. Bad management lead to their current situation.

IMO Deportivo La Coruna never reached that status of big club.

Valencia tried to spend outwith their means and failed at it in way impacted their future and from there dont have same opportunities/revenues as Barca to get back on top.

Cant see how they are comparable to Barca scaling down a bit to try and have a cleaner slate financially for next half century.

Even if dont want to sell players then going down route of allowing external investment is there but the club wont as have to answer to socios and dont want that.

JamDav1982

can we imagine a world were Barcelona goes 9-10 year include our current 3, without winning la Liga, because we sold everything good we have, then we finally stabilize.

their is bidding war going on for tier one talent in 2031/2032, and those players are like, I'm not gonna go with X clubs that have been in the mix for years, I'll go with Barcelona.

I mean one or two players might, like a few choose man utd, even though they had to pay $$$ to sign them, not as much as bartomeu ofc lol but $$$.

That's definitely the way to go, I see the error in my thinking.

Can we imgaine a scenario where Barca are financially handicapped for 40 years as they tried for short term solutions?

Or in ten years Barca cant afford those 'tier one' talents as giving up 40m a season odd to tv deal signed ten year previously.

Equivilant of having to deal with a Coutinho sized transfer on the books for next 40 years with no player in squad.

Thats definitely the way to go.

Barca gone from suing La Liga as CVC ruinos for the league long term to asking for more money.

Type of deal that gets dont when have presidential system.

Last edited:

Windhook

Cant see how they are comparable to Barca scaling down a bit to try and have a cleaner slate financially for next half century.

Hmmm correct me if I'm wrong, this CVC deal means 270m zero-interest loan this season for selling 8,2% of the audiovisual rights of FC Barcelona for the next 50 years to CVC.

If true the percentage is not that much compared to Laporta rumors trying to sell additional 30% of the TV rights to Goldman Sachs for 900m. And in addition to that 30% of BarcaTV again to Goldman Sachs.

These actions prove Barca cannot turn profit under current conditions. We are -144m in balance according to a link provided by Porque and part of me understands the actions taken by the board, another part is rebellious but don't want to see Barca default, sell all top players and fight for a survival in La Liga.

I'm afraid a few more seasons like the last one in financial losses will force Barca to restructure the socios-owned system.

JamDav1982

Hmmm correct me if I'm wrong, this CVC deal means 270m zero-interest loan this season for selling 8,2% of the audiovisual rights of FC Barcelona for the next 50 years to CVC.

If true the percentage is not that much compared to Laporta rumors trying to sell additional 30% of the TV rights to Goldman Sachs for 900m. And in addition to that 30% of BarcaTV again to Goldman Sachs.

These actions prove Barca cannot turn profit under current conditions. We are -144m in balance according to a link provided by Porque and part of me understands the actions taken by the board, another part is rebellious but don't want to see Barca default, sell all top players and fight for a survival in La Liga.

I'm afraid a few more seasons like the last one in financial losses will force Barca to restructure the socios-owned system.

40 years for CVC I believe but not it cant be seen as an interest fee loan really when are paying back far more than ever would on a loan anyway.

There is not chance of Barca defaulting on anything. Operating under the cap would mean same situation as last summer and in January.

Windhook

There is not chance of Barca defaulting on anything. Operating under the cap would mean same situation as last summer and in January.

The cap was 97m last summer based on income/expenditure. Now it's -144m, actually this one is lower because La Liga cap report was released before Spotify deal, I believe, but Barca are still sub-zero. Going into next season under these circumstances the club can spend only 1/4 of their income on transfers.

Before the CVC deal I guess selling Frenkie and Gavi would have put the balance sheet on positive, but not much above the negative gap. And then the cycle would repeat going back to negative as the manager demands more signings to strengthen the squad with the hope of reaching knockout stages of CL. Meaning next summer if fail to register profit will have to sell even more players for underprice. It's a vicious cycle where ambition and reality don't match.

Respekt_III

Anti-everything
Does anyone remember where Liverpool were before they actually started attracting and buying upcoming talents?
Instead of going for the ready made super stars who haven't really worked out for us historically how about we take the money ball approach?
How about Dortmund? They sell their talents every other year and replace them, sure they win nothing currently but their position is strong. I'd easily sell fdj, Dest, gavi (potentially with a buy back or option) without hesitation in this situation. Once we stabilise then we can add those quality additions to by selling "the project" to the players we target.

Like I said too much football. Manager going on and people taking absolute worst case scenarios for not signing but best case scenarios for signing the deal, ignoring how bad we have been historically with our big signings.

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Our problems with big signings is that we pay S tier money for B tier players.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire

So far the 900m figure is unexplained, nobody knows whether this figure is for a deal exclusively with Goldman Sachs or it is an all-inclusive figure that includes all the so-called "levers" (CVC, Goldman Sachs and ASF). Since we are going to give 25% of TV rights to CVC for 540m, I think the 900m figure and other deals will not materialize after all.

If we have to sell a big chunk of our future TV rights, I'd rather sell 30% to Goldman Sachs for 900m and not having to repay anything than selling 25% to CVC for 540m and having to repay 270m of it. Basically we got a cheap loan for 270m and sold 25% of TV rights for possibly the next 50 years for a paltry 270m.

:facepalm: Sigh.

Porque

Break even for what?

Being under the cap doesnt stop spending just limits what can against money raised is my understanding.

Surely the salary cap is there to have clubs be within their [financial] limits- so at 0 or above. If Barcelona could just exist another transfer window way over their salary limit with no sanctioning then the cap itself would be worthless- and thus we wouldn't need to sign these deals.

We could just work with our limited transfer budget but not worry about salaries and have no issue with registering free arrivals and renewals (Roberto, Gavi).

[MENTION=22241]Porque[/MENTION] I still cant process that -144M figure :lol: .

So we had a 97M spending limit at the start of the season. Afterwards we got rid of Coutinho's wages , got a few free players and got a new sponsor in Spotify and somehow we are at a negative spending limit of 144M ?

I have no idea on the entracies of how it is calculated either. But as Laporta has been alluding to, it needed a degree of common sense and perspective to it's application in the current circumstances and not an iron fist.

There was an article when we sold Coutinho that said despite the Coutinho sale bringing the club effective profit for this year, it actually affected the salary cap negatively because of the way the wages amortize over the salary capped period. But obviously a few years down the line the Coutinho (and Messi) wages being removed would reflect favourably, but not instantly.

ajnotkeith

Surely the salary cap is there to have clubs be within their [financial] limits- so at 0 or above. If Barcelona could just exist another transfer window way over their salary limit with no sanctioning then the cap itself would be worthless- and thus we wouldn't need to sign these deals.
Your punishment for being over the cap is hardly being able to sign any players.

Windhook

Basically we got a cheap loan for 270m and sold 25% of TV rights for possibly the next 50 years for a paltry 270m.

I think that's false. It's the 8,2% deal more reliable. I read in few articles it's not CVC buying those 25% TV rights but other unnamed companies interested and there will be an extraordinary assembly on June 16 to vote on selling those rights. My guess is it is the Goldman Sachs offer.

Otherwise selling 25% for let's say 40 years is suicide, I agree.

At minimal calculation Barca receives around 160m from La Liga TV rights only, 25% of it is 40m x 40 years = 1,6 billion deal and we talk about 270m for a half century... Has to be false, mate.

Porque

Your punishment for being over the cap is hardly being able to sign any players.

Slight tangent.

Media reported this/last week that Roberto can not be renewed right now because of the salary cap. Does that mean if we are over the cap that current contracted players can still be registered, but renewed contracts breach the cap and can not be registered?

Home of Barca Fans