Oriol Romeu (loaned to Girona)

Co0ter

The stellar performances of Raphinha, Torres and Kounde won us the league last year.

Oh wait.

Lewa at least played well in the beginning of the season.

We definitely spent money on areas far less important than DM and RB. DM was already a problem for years due to Busquets being trash in the first place. It was not only bad player selection but position priority as well.

khaled_a_d

Kounde and Raphinha contributed to winning Liga. Ferran was signed in January 2022 when we had awful attack but I doubt anyone here would claim he is a good signing, though he is decent this season so far.

DM argument is about allocation of resources, Kounde is good but would a DM for same money be an upgrade?

I honestly starting to think Bernal is the chosen one, but I doubt he will be starter before 2025-2026 (he will be 18) and this is pushing it.
So most likely we will get stuck with Romeu for another year, then we move on.

At the end, he is a low cost failure, despite being arguably the worst player in the team.
If we had no injuries, I think Gundogan and Frenkie could cover that position fairly tbh

JamDav1982

FDJ is much better at DM than most think but the issue is he is best player in team at box to box on the left and lose him from there. Gavi has been decent there but a big drop off from FDJ level to date.

Bernal looks class and physically very developed but it would be years before he is relied upon as starting DM would think.

Zubimendi still feels like the one Xavi wants in there.

Will be interesting to see how Barca line up in midfield if were to get him.

jamrock

The stellar performances of Raphinha, Torres and Kounde won us the league last year.

Oh wait.

Lewa at least played well in the beginning of the season.

We definitely spent money on areas far less important than DM and RB. DM was already a problem for years due to Busquets being trash in the first place. It was not only bad player selection but position priority as well.
Ot u dumb?

Did you see how many important goals raphinna scored? Kounde played a vital role as well.

Yea lets not buy those guys and spend big on a DM instead, we definitely would have done the league.

Yea you're definitely dumb.

jamrock

The goal in important games is never and was never to start oriol as I've told everyone months ago, but fans just like to whine, it was always gonna be the Midfield I put forward and that's exactly what Xavi did when de jong was fit.

So when everyone is fit, him being in the squad won't cripple us against one of the big boys in Europe, he as never going to start those games anyways.

He was bought to play in la Liga games and so far he's struggled, but who knows maybe he'll turn it around come the new year, but for 3m euros, what's there to be so consistently upset about really?.

He was a stop gap measure for a club with limited resources that had to fill many holes.

He was probably like 3rd choice on the stop game list.

I keep telling Barca forum and some finally are coming around to it, every squad/team has weaknesses.

jamrock

Kounde and Raphinha contributed to winning Liga. Ferran was signed in January 2022 when we had awful attack but I doubt anyone here would claim he is a good signing, though he is decent this season so far.

DM argument is about allocation of resources, Kounde is good but would a DM for same money be an upgrade?

I honestly starting to think Bernal is the chosen one, but I doubt he will be starter before 2025-2026 (he will be 18) and this is pushing it.
So most likely we will get stuck with Romeu for another year, then we move on.

At the end, he is a low cost failure, despite being arguably the worst player in the team.
If we had no injuries, I think Gundogan and Frenkie could cover that position fairly tbh

Very reasonable & rational take.

If only more were like you.

JamDav1982

Money is never spent by any team for just one season.

The DM area was neglected most likely as Xavi rated Busquets and always expected him to continue.

Winning the league last season does not mean this was a position that should have been covered.

Romeu was never good enough and never going to be the 'good signing' some made out.

FDJ can cover that position very well despite what the usual folk will claim who have zero clue but it takes him away from his best position also.

Kounde and Raphinha are ok players and decent value signings but money could have been better spent on areas that need it more.

Not having four CBs and 4th on 9m a season and spening 120m odd on RWs etc.

Biggest signing of last year and winning league was FDJ refusing to leave. Infinitely better than any player signed individually.

ajnotkeith

Kounde or Raphinha were decent signings but you struggle to think that signing one of those two would have been better than having Zubimendi over Romeu seeing the situation today.

You don't lose that much going from Kounde to another centre back we have. You don't lose that much going from Raphinha to Yamal (or Dembele, if the situation meant we would keep him).

You do lose a huge amount going from Zubimendi or another quality DM to Romeu. It also means we still struggling to resolve this issue when we could've closed the book on it before.

However, I still think the levers transfer window was a very good job by Laporta. DM is the major gap we left but not everything can be perfect.

Home of Barca Fans