Ousmane Dembélé

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laplacian

He's not skinny though, he's pretty muscular. He's no bale sure but he's nt skinny, you guys are being dramatic over his body type. Neymar was far skinnier and he rarely had muscle issues. Bale is pretty much a body builder and muscle issues is pretty much all he has....

I wonder if we would be in this situation if he never went awol against dortmund.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
46 matches he has missed since signing for Barcelona in 2 years and some change which interestingly enough nearly equals the same amount of match time Neymar has missed at PSG. However, Ousmane's injuries have been largely muscular. Last year Semedo had some muscular issues and this year both Suarez & Messi similar. Is it simply down to the player, the physio/training staff (That Valverde himself discounts) or some combination of the two? Fair questions but considering how much division there is within the club, not sure any reasonable solutions can be considered much less implemented

I seem to recall that in Luis Enrique & Pep's tenure, we had far less muscular injuries so it would appear that there is something different going on with the current coaching staff as there are two aspects to the training - there is the coaching staff & training regimen and then the technical staff of physios & physicians. So it would appear that this likely falls on the former more than the latter since it is the only area that has changed.

As for Dembele, I no longer count on the player

BusiTheKing

It's pretty clear that the trainings lack intensity, which is why muscles aren't used to the strain they get in matches and fail.

Rakitic has probably looked great in trainings as he's an intelligent player. Valverde must have been bewildered that opponents didn't give him the same time and space in actual games.

FinBarcelonafan

It's pretty clear that the trainings lack intensity, which is why muscles aren't used to the strain they get in matches and fail.

Rakitic has probably looked great in trainings as he's an intelligent player. Valverde must have been bewildered that opponents didn't give him the same time and space in actual games.

True. I would fire Valverde and whoever takes care of physical preparation for the players. Our physical condition is shit level.

BBZ8800

I see that suddenly everyone are medical and training experts and they know how to train professional players and prevent injuries.
A question: in 2004/05, we had 4 players in a space of 3 Months (September, Ocotber, November 2004 who broke cruciate knee ligaments in CDM Motta, RB Gabri, CDM Edmilson and CF Larsson, plus LB Sylvinho who partially torn knee ligaments.)
The next season was luckier since we lost only one player, Xavi, for a season, due to exactly the same cruciate ligaments injury.

If this happened today, Rijkaard would be hailed as the biggest idiot ever.
I mean, how can you have 5+1 players breaking knee ligaments in only 16 Months?
Were they smoking weed and eating McDonalds on training grounds?

About EV, maybe he is guilty for injuries, I don't know, time will tell.
But injuries happen. Especially among older players and players who are prone to injuries.
And what is "worse", during the last 10 years, we were extremely lucky with injuries.
Messi or key players were never out for a season.
Iirc, the only horrible injuries were Villa, Milito, Valdes, Rafinha. And Puyol in his granny years. And Iniesta and Messi out for 2-3 Months.
My point: an amount of injuries from the last 10 years was not normal.
We were very lucky.
What is happening today is imo a way more realistic number of injuries for a normal football club.

Anyway, news from 2004 and 2005.
Does someone have explanations for those injuries?
** Btw, all 5 players from 2004' injured their knees on Camp Nou matches.
Thiago Motta said:
12th September 2004:
Midfield player Thiago Motta could be sidelined for at least six months after twisting his knee during FC Barcelona's 2-0 win against Sevilla FC last night.

Ligament damage
The Brazil-born 22-year-old was carried off just three minutes into Barça's second Primera División game of the new season after turning awkwardly on a rain-sodden pitch at the Camp Nou. "He's ruptured both his anterior cruciate ligament and the lateral ligament in his left knee," said club doctor Jordi Ardevol. Motta will undergo surgery once the swelling has gone down.

Gabri Garcia said:
24th September 2004:
Barcelona right back Gabri will be sidelined for at least six months after rupturing knee ligaments during his side's 4-1 victory over Real Zaragoza.
"The anterior cruciate ligament and the internal lateral ligament in his right knee have been torn completely," said Barcelona medical chief Jordi Ardevol.
Ardevol said the injury was almost identical to that sustained by midfielder Thiago Motta earlier this month.
Motta is scheduled to undergo an operation in the United States next week to deal with his injury.

Gabri and Sylvinho (on the same match) said:
FC Barcelona full-backs Gabri García and Sylvinho both suffered knee injuries, Gabri's serious, on Thursday.
FC Barcelona full-backs Gabri García and Sylvinho face spells on the sidelines after being forced off with injuries in the first ten minutes of tonight's 4-1 Primera División victory against Real Zaragoza.

Sylvinho knee sprain
Sylvinho was restored to the starting lineup on the left but within two minutes had hobbled off the pitch.

Regarding Sylvinho, later it turned out:
Sylvinho said:
2004/05 season:
However, in the 2004-05 season, a partially torn knee ligament meant he missed out on three months of football.

Edmilson said:
6th October 2004:
MADRID: Barcelona’s Brazil defender Edmilson will be sidelined for at least six months after undergoing knee surgery on Monday, club doctors said.
The news was a fresh blow for Barcelona. Top of the Spanish Primera Liga, they already face playing the rest of the season without rightback Gabri and midfielder Thiago Motta, who both suffered serious knee injuries in home games last month.
Edmilson’s was the most serious of the three injuries, Jordi Ardevol, director of Barcelona’s medical services said.

Keyhole surgery
The Brazilian international had keyhole surgery today to determine the extent of the problem suffered in last night's 1-0 defeat of CD Numancia, and it revealed that he has torn his lateral cruciate ligament as well as suffering cartilage damage.

Fell awkwardly
The 28-year-old, who arrived at Camp Nou in a reported €10m transfer from Olympique Lyonnais in July, sustained the injury shortly after coming on for Samuel Eto'o.
Edmílson was taken off on a stretcher after falling awkwardly when attempting to head the ball.

Larsson said:
22nd November 2004:
Barcelona striker Henrik Larsson will miss the rest of the season after picking up a serious knee injury against Real Madrid on Saturday.
An operation today revealed the Swede tore the cruciate ligament in his left knee when he turned awkwardly during the match and he will be out of action for up to six months.
It was originally thought he only had cartilage damage but surgery revealed the full extent of the injury.

Xavi said:
2nd December 2005:
MADRID, Spain -- Barcelona and Spain midfielder Xavi will be out for around six months after knee surgery that may threaten his participation in next year's World Cup finals.
Xavi tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee during training on Friday and will undergo surgery on Saturday.
"It's better if we can operate as soon as possible because there is little sign of inflamation and nothing else seems to be affected," said club doctor Jordi Ardevol.
Xavi is a key member of Frank Rijkaard's Barcelona squad and a fixture in Luis Aragones's Spain side. The World Cup finals in Germany start on June 9.
The 25-year-old midfielder has been in impressive form helping Barcelona storm to the top of the Primera Liga on the back of six consecutive wins.
While Brazilian playmaker Ronaldinho and Cameroon striker Samuel Eto'o have stolen the headlines, Xavi's tireless work and link play has been an important part of the side's success over the last two seasons.
Barca's Brazilian defender Edmilson, who was near Xavi when he sustained his injury, said after training: "He turned awkwardly and shouted in pain. It reminded me of when I suffered a similar injury last year."
Barcelona lost Edmilson, Silvinho, Thiago Motta, Gabri and Henrik Larsson to serious injuries last season, but it did not prevent them from winning their first league title in six years.

Last edited:

Potroh

Based on what I can see on the short videos published, yes they seem to be just sagging and wagging around.
As they usually grab the beginning of the trainings, it is unlikely the guys would increase intensity towards the end, because in contemporary football the middle of the sessions are the most intensive, with a lighter beginning and end.

Unfortunately you are mistaken about pumping up to the game-level of strain in training.
It should never happen or should only happen withing the given and individual safety limits.

As there seems to be no tactical-scenario training at Barca, I guess not even on the elementary level, due to Valverde's strange qualities, they probably only practice corners, free kicks, shots and the like. I have no idea about that, but what I can positively tell you is this:

When a team is practicing formation-training, one, two or max 3 players do their stuff at full intensity, the others always remain within safety or just observe.
Then they do something different and the roles also change, but always within safety and at the same time just a couple of players do stuff at game-intensity, but for short periods only.

That's why it is interesting that Dembele got injured again in a training situation, because all of his previous injuries happened during games.
I'm absolutely certain the medical and complementary staff does something wrong in his case, as it is almost unimaginable he became sensitive to muscle-injuries just when he changed clubs.

serghei

I agree. This is most likely the issue. If the training sessions are not intense enough, then the muscle is not ready to cope with the overload you normally get in official games. This seems to be the issue with Dembele.

He didn't have these problems at Dortmund and Rennes, and this probably because they did more physical training. And Bundesliga and Ligue 1 are more physical leagues than La Liga.

Based on the videos I have seen online and the media stories that have appeared in the last 2 years, we do the least amount of physical work in training. And this is backed by the fact that we have been the poorest team in CL in terms of covered ground.

Last edited:

jamrock

Given the type of player he is and that he uses short burst of speed constantly, that has to be factored into his training.

Surely they are aware of this, they are people being made millions of euros.

I think our lack of running in the CL is also due to us having a old team in midfield combined with messi & saurez not doing much pressing

Nello

About EV, maybe he is guilty for injuries, I don't know, time will tell.
But injuries happen. Especially among older players and players who are prone to injuries.
And what is "worse", during the last 10 years, we were extremely lucky with injuries.
Messi or key players were never out for a season.
Iirc, the only horrible injuries were Villa, Milito, Valdes, Rafinha. And Puyol in his granny years. And Iniesta and Messi out for 2-3 Months.
My point: an amount of injuries from the last 10 years was not normal.
We were very lucky.
What is happening today is imo a way more realistic number of injuries for a normal football club.

Time will tell? This is Valverde's 3rd season here, I think it's fair to discuss it now. I don't know why you demand so little from the coach of one of the biggest clubs in the world, who has so many ressources and such a good squad. You should expect him to rise to the occasion and be a elite coach who gets the most out of his squad. Valverde has had more than 2 years to implement a system and make a play some sort of good and recognizable football. He hasn't. And he hasn't learned from his mistakes. Guy was so close to fucking up against Lyon at Camp Nou, and hist best idea was to field one of the most injury prone players in the whole squad, who had just come back from an injury.

I know you don't rate Guardiola as highly as many other Culés, but he is actually a big part of why Messi has been so "lucky" to suddenly not get nearly as much injured as he did pre-Guardiola. Messi was put on a better diet, and had a special training program tailored to his needs. One of Guardiolas physios (I think he was called Brau) was assigned to follow him closely, and trained with Messi both before and after training sessions almost every day.

Random injuries can happen to anybody out of nowhere, you're right about that. But Valverde should give way more importance to physical preparation, anything else is plain stupid in modern football.

JPM85

Based on the videos I have seen online and the media stories that have appeared in the last 2 years, we do the least amount of physical work in training. And this is backed by the fact that we have been the poorest team in CL in terms of covered ground.

I wanted to dive into this last week, when it popped my mind.
Follow both Ajax and Barca on instagram, and if you look at their training stories, it seems Barca is only doing standing rondos where nobody moves an inch.
Looking at Ajax, they play a lot of small pitch soccer passing, where constant moving of position is essential to keep the ball.

Also Real, Liverpool, Dortmund and Bayern seem to have been moving away from rondos more and more, and training a hybrid form of rondos, in which players need to keep moving while pressing for possession or keep possession.

Desperate time to have a reflection on the form and intensity of our training.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans